Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Daily Check In (May 15 - 21)

AZLisaLou
AZLisaLou Posts: 240 Member
I went MIA last week. I've had a hiccup in the road with the soda. One a day for the past week. A large one every day. Could have been worse, but I need to get a grip again before I'm back seeing the doctor with a new prescription for a higher dosage of Metformin.

@Kerryatoon It sounds like from your posts last week that you're staying on track really well. Are you still doing great with logging and everything else?

@nadiamayl how are you? are you still here?

Replies

• Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    Good morning @AZLisaLou! The first step for me is just facing the truth; until I do that I can't change anything. I've been drinking hot teas for pleasure lately.. keeping me away from sodas and coffee. Yes, I'm still doing well logging. I don't log on weekends usually but I also try to stay on track and not use it as an excuse to go off the rails. I lost 4 pounds in the last 2 weeks! Yay! So I'm super motivated to keep up the good work this week. I'm having oral surgery Wednesday and pretty sure I will be drinking my meals for a couple of days. We'll see what effect that has on things. Luckily I have a really good zero carb protein powder that I'll be using to get my protein in. Looking forward to seeing more progress this week! LETS DO THIS! :)
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 496 Member
    Good morning! Madness May... orchestra competitions and concerts, soccer tryouts X4!, end of business for PTA, birthday parties, soccer parties and I'm losing my mind.
    I have not gone to the gym, and it's OK, i will not beat myself over it, there are only so many hours in the day to complete to-dos.
    I've been struggling with some stress and anxiety with upcoming changes. My mom (who's lived near me for about 6 years due to her severe depression) might be moving to Mexico to be near my brother and because the services she can get over there for the same $ she gets here, are much more and better. It makes me happy that she might get a better opportunity and she'll be near my brother, but I'm struggling to let go of control.
    And the 'going back to Uni' thing hit me hard!! I'm not ready for that kind of life change for me, the kids, the family, so I e gone through an array of emotions, guilt, panic, etc. over it. Right now, I'm starting to realize that I'm not in the moment for it, so most likely will decline the invitation to accept.
    All of this gave me a flare up of my dermatitis which is scratchy, itchy and makes me lose my hair (literally)... but this too, shall pass, right?
    Anyway, on to get through the last few weeks of school and then a well earned brake!
    You ladies keep it up, and the small slip-ups are just the, they can always be remedied!
  • Kerryatoon
    Good morning ladies! I feel you on the end of year @NadiaMayl... my daughter's B-Day is this Friday night and it seems like EVERYTHING else is happening the same week for some dang reason! AGKHHHH! Sorry you're going through so much with your life changing.. yes it will pass! It always does! XOX! I'm doing well today. Met my cal goals yesterday and felt great about accomplishing that. I'm off to a great start today too :smiley: I will be going tomorrow for that oral surgery and if I let myself think about it I get freaked out. I just won't think about it.. lol. Have a great day and I'll be here tomorrow to check in.
  • AZLisaLou
    @nadiamayl, lady you sure do have a full, overflowing plate! I don't know how you keep up. I know it must be disappointing that you've decided to pass if accepted, but I'm sure you'll find a way down the road.

My kids get out of school on 5/23, so just a few more days to go. Then I'll be able to skip my school year morning routine and start listening to them complain all day long how there's no food in the house. Yes, there is. You just have to prepare it. They don't want that though. They want frozen buffalo chicken tenders, corn dogs, etc. Now I just have to work on adjusting to their summer work hours, since I'm the taxi.

I had a few sips of soda today out of the fridge, but I'm happy with the fact that I didn't buy any. I missed it a little (ok, more than a little not quite a lot lol), but I managed not to buy any even though I had the opportunity several times. I know I can do it. I just need to be more consistent.

My therapist told me to be more active to help lift my depressed mood. I know that to be true, but I just haaaaaaate it so much. lol I think I'm the opposite of you ladies on that.

@kerryatoon congrats on the 4 lbs!!! That's really great!
  • Kerryatoon
    Good morning-ish ladies! @AZLisaLou glad to hear that you accomplished a goal yesterday... it certainly helps me to just think of things one day at a time.

I'm trying to stay distracted about my surgery that's happening in about 3 hours. I'm leaving work early so I can go deposit my paycheck and then have to go home and take the Valium they gave me to use for the procedure. I'm supposed to take it an hour before and then a friend is picking me up to take me (guess I'll be too loopy to drive..lol). AGHHH! Will be glad when it's over.

I wanted to share these things with you too. I am using the tools that I used in my smoking quit to help me with my desire to eat either too much or things that don't help me reach my calorie & macro goals. This one is called the 5 D's. Here is what it means..

The Five D's:

1) DEEP BREATHS.

Make sure your tummy expands with the inhale and goes into the backbone on the exhale. This is diaphragmatic breathing.

Another method is called square breathing.
    Inhale for the count of 4
    Hold for the count of 4
    Exhale for the count of 4
    Hold for the count of 4
    Take two to three regular breaths.

2) DRINK WATER. Water is a wonderful tool for many reasons!

Water helps us rid the body of toxins and curbs appetite.
    Water helps us to stay "regular".
    Water, especially ice water, helps to redirect our brain energy. The cold passing across the roof of the mouth and into the throat will help to "refresh" ourselves. It helps to take your mind off a craving.

3) DELAY responding to the craving.

Set a timer for 15 minutes and tell yourself you will not eat that/drink that thing. If you feel like eating/drinking that thing when the timer goes off reset that timer!

Sometimes just telling yourself "later" works. "Maybe I'll have that ice cream tomorrow but just not today." It's kind of tricking yourself but it works. I can do ANYTHING for 1 day.

4) DISTRACT YOURSELF.

Do something!

Go for walks, have a list of things to clean, organize, straighten etc. Do puzzles, read an article, sing, dance, research healthy recipes, learn a yoga posture or dance step.

Any distraction is good!

5) DISCUSS!

Talk to someone, this is where MFP groups that are really active are good to have. Fire off an email, send an instant message, go into a chat room.

Call a real life supporter and talk about it. Telling on yourself can take the power away from a craving.

Writing in your journal or expressing yourself into your own voicemail can help too!

Hope you find this useful and don't mind that I'm sharing it here. It helps me to reinforce it to myself by writing it out. Have a great day and I'll come check in tomorrow and let you know how I'm feeling.

XOX!
  • NadiaMayl
    Meh... my earlier post didn't upload! So here goes again...
    GOOD LUCK WITH SURGERY @Kerryatoon will be thinking of you and a speedy recovery! Wonderful tips you posted above, I try to follow some of these.... and then I forget, hehe
    @AZLisaLou small goals at a time! Good going with keeping up, it's what counts!
    I had my first ever boogie-squashing today! It really isn't that bad... other than funny seeing the boob flat as a pancake! Ha!
    I'm trying as big challenge to learn to manage my stress better, in the long run, most of my stressors won't matter, in a year most will be irrelevant! Hubs and I have a bad habit of constantly looking at what's next, over-analyzing things, were too uptight... we're trying to ease up a little, with kid discipline, with obsessing about what we cannot control, to let go of unnecessary loads... the last few months have been tough and I finally had a breakthrough last weekend... I am doing unnecessary damage to myself by not letting go. So, I'm letting go... I hope I can!
    Back to the gym after this crazy week of endless activities at school, soccer tryouts and medical to-dos for mom's move to my brother.
    I so missed the updates from everyone! I wish the rest would come back once in a while! :)
  • AZLisaLou
    @kerryatoon I hope your surgery went fine and that you're doing great. Let us know how it went. Thanks so much for the tips. I'm going to try to implement those things in my days.

@nadiamayl lol I got caught up on "boogie" squashing and couldn't figure out what the heck that was, until I read the next sentence about "boobs" not boogies. lol Letting go is such a huge thing. I struggled with that a lot too. I still struggle with "letting go" of past guilt over things I couldn't control that still affects me today. So I too am working on letting go. I've had to learn to pick my battles. Sometimes the kids push my buttons and I have to stop myself and ask if it's really worth it at the moment or is it irrelevant. I hope you can learn to manage things in a healthy, less stressful way. It does the body, mind and soul a lot of good.

I had a good day. 1 small drink of soda from the fridge and the rest of the day diet. my eating is pretty good, but I know I won't start losing weight until I get my fat *kitten* off the bed and sofa and move. Just the thought of exercising starts the anxiety.

I hope tomorrow is a good day for all of us!
  • Kerryatoon
    Good morning ladies! Well, I survived! The valium and the novocaine weren't really that great... I could still feel the "snip" when he cut the tissue out of my throat.. ack! But on a positive note, it was over quick... lol. It hurt pretty bad last night but this morning I felt well enough to come to work. Feels like a really bad sore throat. I'm doing saline gargles and eating soft foods this morning. Now to wait and see how the pathology comes back... with my history it's always stressful but I have to keep reminding myself that I have no control over what comes out of it and to exhale and "LET IT GO" @NadiaMayl ... definitely a challenge but it is doable! I use the serenity prayer a lot... it helps me to have help and realize that there are actually things I can't control. Doesn't mean I don't have to let go of it more than once. I joke that everything I've had to let go of has claw marks... lol. Its good that you're even aware of that... just that awareness will go a long way toward helping you.
    @AZLisaLou Great job yesterday! I hope some of these tools will help you, they really help me, when I use them. What kinds of exercise have you enjoyed in the past? Do you like walking? Swimming? Riding bikes? Have you ever tried a weight training program? I like lifting weights a lot.. it feels more badass than cardio for me. Well here's to a good day!!! Let's all kick some *kitten* at our goals, whatever they are!

XOX!
  • AZLisaLou
    @kerryatoon, I hope you are feeling better after the surgery. Keep us updated on the results.

I had an interesting Dr visit today. I went to my psych clinic for a med check with a new guy. At my last visit they suggested I have a sleep study. This guy really stressed that it would be a good idea to have it done. He said based on my symptoms he's 95% sure I have sleep apnea, but you can't get treated for it unless you have the sleep study done. What was interesting was the number of things he said can be affected by not having good sleep. You know what was on the list? Losing weight. He said when your body is constantly under stress it doesn't let go of the weight (putting it more simply than he said it). Interesting. Also, depression, which makes sense. Another thing that people have more often when not sleeping well is diabetes. There were one or two other things, but I don't remember them all. I'm going to have to talk to my dh about pursuing it a bit to see what it would cost to have it done. The dr. said that having the cpap has literally changed some people's lives. Wow! I could use that! :)

How are you all doing?
  • NadiaMayl
    @Kerryatoon glad to hear you're feeling better and back on your feet! Will be thinking of you for the results to be as should be!!!!!! I'm sure it's stressful, even for me thinking of my routine mammogram as a first, I think about the results --and what if.
    Yes, letting go of control is hard!!! Very hard! I've had a day of it today. Very silly stuff, the boys' soccer tryouts. They tried out for their current club and also for a new club in our area affiliated with the MLS team in Houston (Dynamo). Well, we've heard from the new ones but not from our 'home club' which I find really rude. Most of our teammates already received their invitation and even new players trying out for the first time received notice. So of course, not liking change and needing control, I think I've refreshed my email every 15 minutes. It's an obsession. And it's for silly 12 year old soccer!! Pppffff anyway. Period doesn't help. :)
    @AZLisaLou I hope you can look into the sleep apnea! I agree that sleep messes with hormone imbalances, stress, depression, lethargy, and all kinds of fun stuff! One hurdle at a time! At least the doctor seems to want to look for solutions with you!!!!
    Ok. I'll check out now. Gotta go get kids from play dates! :) here's to a good weekend !!