5/16 Tuesday Day 16 SLBC

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
fr2gj06xf88n.jpg

Theme: Make Your Day Harder

People who are committed to an active lifestyle look for ways to be more active and get more steps in throughout the day. They don't settle for the easy shortcut. So today, let’s try to make things just a little more difficult for ourselves.

Today’s Challenge: Please watch (standing up!) the terrific video by Dr. Mike Evans posted below. How could you add a little more activity to your day? Could you park further away from your building, make several passes through the grocery store aisles, put the laundry away in several trips rather than one huge basket load? Walk over to talk to your co-workers instead of sending them an email? Take the stairs instead of the elevator? These kind of things may seem small and of little impact, but taken together our labor saving devices and behaviors contribute significantly to obesity and sedentary living. Let's break the cycle.

Alternative Challenge: Try setting up a more active morning and evening routine. When you get up in the morning try going for a 5 minute walk or add a few yoga stretches to your evening to relax you and make it easier to sleep. If you like watching TV at night, get up and walk around during commercials. It makes a big difference!

Replies

• fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    ^ That is a very entertaining video and a fun way to look at it. I'm going to send this to everyone in my walking challenge. :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,139 Member
    Options
    Great video! I'm going to share it on Facebook with my friends!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I'm glad you both like it and I'm thrilled you are sharing it with others!
  • sandra8841
    sandra8841 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    loved the video shared it also, really makes you think lots of little small changes can make one huge change in your life
  • TKlepac
    TKlepac Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My routine is to always park as far away as possible. I also try to walk for about 10 minutes every hour and a half or so. Other suggestions I've taken to heart is to get up frequently at home and walk about.
  • RDancer5
    RDancer5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great video! Today I am doing something that I have wanted to do for a while! I am going to invest in a Fitbit! This will help give me little reminders when I have been sitting too long and help me track my activity. Let's have a great day!
  • nstephenson01
    nstephenson01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Great video! I often park far away and almost always take the stairs. Now I'm inspired to find additional ways to "make life harder". Thank you for sharing!!!!!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    I've always gotten up and did something that needed to be done around the house during commercials. Not necessarily to move around, but with four children something always needed to be done :laugh: And I'm not a big fan of commercials anyway and don't enjoy them. But it is much harder lately with the many options to have TV programs without the commercials and movies more readily available. I've found myself sitting completely through a TV program/ movie. I'm going to purposely have to be aware of this now. I hadn't given it much thought or even realized it till just now.

Again, thanks for this group. It is definitely making me much more aware!
    :flowerforyou:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,924 Member
    Options
    As I mentioned a few days ago, I try to park far away. I also try to start my days with 10 minutes of walking around my house or in the backyard if the weather is nice. I just strap on my sneakers and walk in my PJs. My neighbors think I'm weird, but I fear that having to get dressed would keep me from getting my quick walk done.
  • gronkster869
    gronkster869 Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I found this site, https://www.sitkicker.com/, online a couple of weeks ago and I downloaded the app from iTunes. I registered and requested the starter kit which includes 2 easily-assembled stand-up desks plus posters, tent cards, and stickers. It's obviously intended to help companies get their employees off their butts by creating office challenges between employees. I'm retired, so I don't really fit their target audience, but I now have 2 stand-up desks to use and the employees in my former company have the posters, stickers, and tent cards. The free price and shipping of the start-up kit applies to Canada, where I reside, but check the FAQs ("How much is shipping?" and "What if I'm not in Canada?") to see options for other countries.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I found this site, https://www.sitkicker.com/, online a couple of weeks ago and I downloaded the app from iTunes. I registered and requested the starter kit which includes 2 easily-assembled stand-up desks plus posters, tent cards, and stickers. It's obviously intended to help companies get their employees off their butts by creating office challenges between employees. I'm retired, so I don't really fit their target audience, but I now have 2 stand-up desks to use and the employees in my former company have the posters, stickers, and tent cards. The free price and shipping of the start-up kit applies to Canada, where I reside, but check the FAQs ("How much is shipping?" and "What if I'm not in Canada?") to see options for other countries.

Interesting site, @gronkster869. And providing two free standing desks to Canadian companies is a big incentive. Thanks for posting!
  • PrincessMom08
    PrincessMom08 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I went to give blood at my daughter's school so I parked further away at the trail I normally walk on that ends near her school and walked there. Then afterwards I walked the trail. Every time I go to the store now I remind myself to park a little further away to get in a few extra steps.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I walked more yesterday, got up and got two rounds in early as it was suppose to be pretty hot yesterday, but all day we had a breeze so I pushed myself out the door to just do a little bit more.....result...8341 steps....this new knee is beginning to work more and more.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    I walked more yesterday, got up and got two rounds in early as it was suppose to be pretty hot yesterday, but all day we had a breeze so I pushed myself out the door to just do a little bit more.....result...8341 steps....this new knee is beginning to work more and more.
    @Ming1951 that is terrific news!! I have one artificial hip and I'll be getting my second artificial hip this summer. So I understand personally the challenges of moving when you have arthritis and becoming active again with an artificial joint. It takes time and perseverance but it's worth it. You are doing beautifully and I'm sure your surgeon is very pleased with your progress.

• Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Thank you..he is after my 2nd post op he said I don't need to go back until August, unless of course I have any problems or I'm not getting extension. Everyone tells me the more you walk on it the better it will be..so
    I think hip replacement must be more difficult, my neighbor had it but she did beautifully. she is back to cycling and jogging too. Got in a round this morning then shortly I will head to PT. Thanks for the encouragement.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Gosh, did I ever get far behind after going on a mini vacation! This is a really good video. I have been parking further away and going upstairs to use the restroom at work. Outside of work, I have been parking further away from everywhere and I have been trying to remember to get up during commercials. AT work I have been trying to switch between standing and sitting at my desk. This challenge has really helped me to be more aware of just how much sitting i actually do! Thank you so much!