May 20 Sign In

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• RangerRickL
    Options
    j2rykbk7eutm.jpg
    Cowboy cinema stars from the late 1940's and the 1950's Roy Rogers and Gene Autry.
    Both @fightingthetideofaging and I grew up in the Golden Age of Cowboy TV and movies.
    Before the !960's, when the cowboy age waned, all of the Cowboy Super Stars were virtuous role models for us kids.
    My values were imprinted by Roy, Gene, Hopalong Cassidy and the Lone Ranger. See the Cowboy Codes below
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    b2gvnaq1ejcr.jpg
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Yep I have to say those would be my hubby' s code of conduct too. Though I have to say the fact that he was always neat and clean was a big thing for me.

Boy am I tired I left a message last night but must not have saved or posted. The goal is to get the apartment finished this weekend. Turn in the keys by TUES or Wed. I took a vacation day Mon in order to make it a reality. I work this morning then I am going over to the apartment to load up. I should pay the 2 bucks and wear jeans the other part of me just can't see it as I still have to wear shoes and a dress shirt anyway. Time for me to get ready. Have a great day everyone !!!
  • aeshippers
    aeshippers Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Exercise? Yes, ran 7.5km this morning which is the furthest I've ever run in my life, took me over 50 minutes though so not very quick. Also got a little gardening done late morning, have a big day planned for the garden tomorrow.
    Tracking and calories okay.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    @RangerRickL Great post of the Cowboy Credo (of the late 40's and 50's).

Gene Autry's Cowboy Code of Honor
    - Never go back on your word, or a trust confided in you.
    - Always tell the truth.
    - Be gentle with children, the elderly, and animals.
    - Help people in distress.
    - Be a good worker.
    - The Cowboy is a patriot.
    - Keep yourself clean in thought, speech, action, and personal habits.
    - Never shoot first, hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage.
    - Do not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.
    - Respect women, parents, and your nation's laws.

Roy Rogers Riders Rules
    - Be neat and clean.
    - Be courteous and polite.
    - Always obey you parents.
    - Protect the weak and help them.
    - Be brave but never take chances.
    - Study hard and learn all you can.
    - Be kind to animals and take care of them.
    - Eat all your food and never waste any.
    - Love God and go to Sunday school regularly.
    - Always respect our flag and our country.

These resonated with the parents and children of the time and helped shape good ethics and great community in the post-war era. These were also aimed at boys (I don't know the messages the media projected to girls in that era - I have not looked into it specifically).

If only more people today stuck to these guidelines, society would likely be much better off.

In the immediate post-war era, food was not yet as abundant as it was today so "Eat all your food and never waste any" was what the parents grew up with (as food was scarce) and so were happy to instil this ethic into their children. Today's society with its abundance of cheap food that is convenient, calorie rich and nutrition poor means that part of the message probably needs to change. Meals are so often over-catered and then bolstered between meals with snacks. This constant eating we are encouraged to do is making western society sick.

"Eat three good meals a day" may be a more appropriate message. (If you eat good meals you feel less like snacking on junk between meals).

In todays society, there is a lot of "girl" focused media (girls can be anything, you can choose your path, you can be stronger than you think, struggle and you can succeed, etc... - Tangled, Frozen, Moana, Zootopia, Star Wars episode 7+, etc..).

Fortunately the message of "You must appear beautiful to be liked" seems to be downplayed more these days, but it's not gone completely. Also the media definition of "beauty" is becoming more broad (even the shape of Barbie is changing).

However there seems to be a complete vacuum in the media guiding how "boys" should act. The media tend to portray to "boys" that you should be strong, clever, part of a strong team or else be a victim (The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Trek, Superman, etc..). In most of these, the "strong" hero loses their way and needs to find their way back to being a "hero". What about those who do not start "strong"? Where are the Cowboy style role models of old in a modern society that seems so desperately to need them.

(I have a fabulous daughter and a wonderful nephew and consequently take an interest in child focused media).

Enough of my ramblings. I'll put the soapbox away now.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    May 20
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 3.5km in 43 minutes with daughter (hills - great to walk and talk).
    Calories?: Yes.
    Tracked?: Yes.
  • phoebelayla
    phoebelayla Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts @RangerRickL and @craigo3154. I had no idea about the cowboy code, and was impressed to see Gene Autrey's list. My father, who was a wonderful man, much enjoyed watching those particular cowboys as a boy, and lived by those qualities. So interesting for me to read that. Also interesting to read your perspective Craig. As a mom of teen boys who are currently try to find their way in this world, I will be thinking about what you said!

I have a cold and feel pretty crummy, so may not be exercising as much the next few days, but I can certainty make sure that I eat well. Enjoy your weekends everyone!
  • pribud
    pribud Posts: 453 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I did not get a chance to check-in last night as I did not have access to a computer until this morning so I am going to repost my comments on here as they are important to me. Thank you @RangerRickL & @craigo3154 for the very insightful post this morning have to admit when I was reading I got stuck on the eat all your food one too......like your version @craigo3154.

Will be checking in with my positive :) results tonight. Wishing everyone a GREAT day and weekend. It is a long weekend here in Canada and the sun is shining! <3
  • pribud
    Options
    Yesterdays post on appreciating things we take for granted! <3

I appreciate this whole group and am very thankful for everything you do @RangerRickL but I do not take what WE have for granted as I feel very thankful to be a part of this group as I know it is what keeps me focussed. I check on here every day for the inspirational posts from @everyone. It does not matter if I am having a good or bad day I look forward to checking in. So to put it bluntly I NEED YOU GUYS! Each and every ONE of you :)

After thinking of the people or thing I take for granted I have to hang my head and admit that I sometimes take my husbands support for granted, knowing it is always there. Today I told him how much I appreciated his support and thanked him for making this journey easier for me. He is there to encourage and bring me back to earth at times as I get so wrapped up in my program and exercise that I sometimes forget that I can make allowances by using my workout calories. If I REALLY want something but to recognize the difference between a NEED to fulfill a craving and a simple want. He also reminds me that I have said this is a lifestyle change not a DIET and in order to be happy I need to think of it that way and not be so regimented. Every week when he weighs me he celebrates the wins and encourages me through the small losses or stays the same and keeps reminding me of my total success. I unfortunately forget at times how lucky I really am! Thank you @RangerRickL for making me think :)
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    We are having fun together!!
    It's early Saturday afternoon in the middle of May. Usually, I would have been out on the farm since 8:00 doing Saturday chores and then riding a beautiful horse through the woods and prairie park near our farm. Not today...it's cold and rainy. So, after coffee with my wife, I spent the morning doing a full active stretch routine using all my gizmos (Original Stick; Melt Method therapy balls for feet; Aaron Mattis Active Isolated Stretching) and then the longest Cardio/Strength/Recovery set ever. 67 minutes at 594 calories. I may not be able to move without pain for a few days, but I am feeling great right now. BTW: the Cross Rope Jump Challenge is too daunting for me to keep up with, but I was able to add new concepts from that program. They taught me how to use a Tabata timer and a Every Minute on the Minute (EMOM) timer.
    The timer app they recommend has a learning curve, but even I am getting better. It's the Run Loop, Seconds Pro Timer App http://www.runloop.com/seconds-pro
  • fightingthetideofaging
    fightingthetideofaging Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes...60 minute walk
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • theforceawaken
    theforceawaken Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No (should have planned earlier)
    Yes (started with eating 3 cups of gourmet popcorn as breakfast, but chose raw veggies and hummus instead of chips/desserts at dinner)
    Yes
    3 goals for tomorrow:Need to drink more water, avoid having temptations at home and really have to plan exercise in.
  • SephiraAllen
    SephiraAllen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? yes
  • pears734
    pears734 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    My dad watches old cowboy films and movies. Not all of them are as good of role models as those two, but there were many different cowboys for young men to look up to, and that is important. I agree that there is not a diverse group of men in media nowadays. They all seem to look and act alike. Women's roles in media has made progress, but still has a way to go. For instance, every news woman in America is very thin and pretty. Whereas, if you watch the news from South America for instance, you can see that women have some thickness and are unashamed and proud of their work regardless. I'm worried that I'll have a daughter one day that I will have to instill a positive self-esteem in, because our media easily does the opposite.

Exercise? Yes; 70 minutes of strength training and a 20 minute run
    Calories? Yes
    Tracking? Yes
  • phoebelayla
    phoebelayla Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    Yes x 3. Weights and walking today.
  • SimonsChange
    SimonsChange Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes had to pick out some dirt took about 40 minutes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

Had a very late night was at a birthday celebration, Glad it's over so I can sleep :)
  • pribud
    Options
    Have to take pass day #2
    Had no idea of calories of the food I ate(potluck smorg) so I estimated on the high side for everything and came out over for the day. Had a very nice evening though......Tomorrow I will have positive results!