Vsg fail?

Options
FFfitgirl
FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
Anyone feel like it just failed? That having surgery was a waste of time and money?

Am I the only one...

Replies

• DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    When did you have the sleeve done?
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    How has it failed? My surgeon and his staff were brutally honest that this was just a tool to help, not a magic fix. Now that I can eat more "normal" foods, I am finding the loss slowing, but the problems there are my food choices, not the sleeve. If I eat protein I remain full, and I can not complain about losing over 135 lbs in 9 months.

Please tell us why you think it is a fail. More importantly, you may want to talk to a professional for real help.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Fail? No. I was sleeved 4 months ago, (61lbs gone, 30-40 to go). The weight loss has slowed to about 1.5lbs per week now, but I'm still working at it and it's still coming off. I exercise at least 5 days per week (1 hour of cardio) and eat 90% "good" I get all my vitamins and 75g of protein per day, and yes, I struggle daily with "good" food choices because there's pretty much nothing off limits at this point.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not sure I understand why you feel it's a fail, but I can understand the frustration of not getting to where you want to be when you think you should. For instance, I am 2.5 years out from surgery and still not below 200 pounds let alone to my "ideal weight" of 160. I have been stuck bouncing between 233 (my lowest) and 238 for the last 2 months. I lost a total of 20 pounds last year (big whoop she said sarcastically). My weight loss has slowed way down and even though I should be losing a pound a week at this stage, I am lucky to get a pound a month off. Is this a fail? Absolutely not!

Look, I have lost 153 pounds so far. That in itself is a great loss! If I didn't go any further down, this is still a huge accomplishment! I've gone from a size 34 to a size 18! This is a tool and a tool I am determined to keep working until I get to my personal goal, which is to be below 200 pounds somewhere. I have lost 67.699% of my excess weight, the average loss for this surgery is 60-70% so I am right there. And frankly, even if I didn't lose another pound, this is not any kind of a failure in my opinion. I may not ever be 160 again, but that's OK. I am so much healthier than when I started this, I feel so much better, I wear a normal size again and can shop in normal stores, and my mobility is back!

Where were you when you started? Where are you now? How long have you been working the tool? Help us understand why you feel this was a fial. Maybe we can help you get restarted on your journey.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I had it done last april. I had no restriction. The first few day post op I had no problems getting all my fluids in. (Big problem I here is people cant).

I knew it was just a tool, and knew it wouldn't change my mind on the way I eat.
    I was hoping that I would have had restriction, and the decreased appetite.
  • pawoodhull
    Options
    I had it done last april. I had no restriction. The first few day post op I had no problems getting all my fluids in. (Big problem I here is people cant).

I knew it was just a tool, and knew it wouldn't change my mind on the way I eat.

I had lots of restriction at first, and struggled to get in my liquid diet at first. It does get easier as time goes one, but even now I still have restriction. Once I get full, there is no room and the extra comes back up. But feeling full now is different from before surgery. Now I get the feeling that I need to burp. That's my cue. Other people have different cues. Is it possible you haven't figured out what your cue is? If not, you really want to talk about this with your surgeon.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options

There are major post op dietary restrictions necessary to transition back to real food. At this point in time you should refocus on food choices and get a session with your nutritionist. If you are choosing to eat high calorie, high carb, high sugar or high fat foods then your weight loss challange will be great. If you are not logging all your food into MFP you are missing out on a great tool. I suggest you start logging to see what your current choices are and then refocus on protein intake. That should restart the weight loss and hopefully encourage you to continue. There is really no failure with the surgery - they sleeved you and you have less capacity. But you can "Eat Around" the restrictions with bad food.
  • pawoodhull
    Options

There are major post op dietary restrictions necessary to transition back to real food. At this point in time you should refocus on food choices and get a session with your nutritionist. If you are choosing to eat high calorie, high carb, high sugar or high fat foods then your weight loss challange will be great. If you are not logging all your food into MFP you are missing out on a great tool. I suggest you start logging to see what your current choices are and then refocus on protein intake. That should restart the weight loss and hopefully encourage you to continue. There is really no failure with the surgery - they sleeved you and you have less capacity. But you can "Eat Around" the restrictions with bad food.

Really good points DJRonnieLINY! All of us can out eat any of these tools. Consistently good choices in food and exercise will bring success!
  • NerdySleever
    NerdySleever Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    FFfitgirl wrote: »
    Anyone feel like it just failed? That having surgery was a waste of time and money?

Am I the only one...

I personally feel like surgery has failed me. I an about 2 months post op now and from day one have met my protein, H2O and all other nutritional and exercise given to me by my doctor. And have I lost weight!? Well about 1 pound per week. Factor in the fact that it's only going to get slower and I'd call that a failure. But who knows maybe I'll catch up some how in the next 10 months and lose the 170lbs I need to, in my gut I feel the answer will be no though. Worst part.... No on e has been able to give an explanation. I'd love to hear if your situation has improved though.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am not where I want to be (2 yrs post) but I'm not where I was, either. So, I don't consider the surgery a fail, I consider it a success. Plus, the weight that I have gained (and am now trying to lose) is because of bad choices I made with my head-- not because the surgery failed me. The surgery helps me feel full but it doesn't stop me from making bad choices if that is what I want to do. My overall health has improved drastically so I don't regret a thing. I hope it works out for you.
  • capecodgirl50
    capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I do not consider my surgery a failure. I did go down to 160 but broke my ankle and gained 20. My original weight was 235. My choices when I was sitting on my butt for 2 months (one month in cast and the other in a boot), were terrible plus no exercise. Failure - not. Happy about weight gain, yes! But now that the ankle is healed and I am able to enjoy the good weather, it WILL come off.