May 25 Sign In

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• RangerRickL
    edited May 2017
    Options

Most people think that I am very disciplined, but left to my natural impulses, I'm not. I do research EVERYTHING! Which can be annoying to others...but not my clients!
    I get things done by setting deadlines. I will procrastinate until just before the deadline and then put everything else aside to deliver what I have promised.
    Do you have any discipline crutches or tools that you need to use? What are they and how do they help you?
    Rick
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    m2po1s55bm76.jpg
  • pribud
    pribud Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Today is our 31st anniversary <3 and also Buds pre-op appointment. I am really looking forward to finding out what his recovery will look like so we can make our plans. Lots of people are offering to help. Unfortunately I have a hard time asking for it so I am telling them that I appreciate their offer but they will need to check with us as there is no way I will pick up the phone and call them..lol :p I will have NO problem asking my sons and granddaughter though and we will be having our family meeting this Sunday ;)
    We are planning on going out for supper to celebrate our anniversary so I will need to get in lots of exercise today as I will probably be using some of the earned calories! :*

@RangerRickL I like and agree with your poster post. As a manager I absolutely hate hearing someone say I don't have time as I KNOW we all have time it is the fact that we leave things till the last minute and something else comes up and it can not be done like planned. I believe in doing things before the deadline to make sure that does not happen as I know in retail things can get crazy at times and some days it is impossible to stick to your planning. Of course I have learned from my mistakes..lol

Hope everyone has a good day B)
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Most people think that I am very disciplined, but left to my natural impulses, I'm not. I do research EVERYTHING! Which can be annoying to others...but not my clients!
    I get things done by setting deadlines. I will procrastinate until just before the deadline and then put everything else aside to deliver what I have promised.
    Do you have any discipline crutches or tools that you need to use? What are they and how do they help you?
    Rick

Sounds familiar.

I try not wait for impending deadline though (if avoidable). If it's important, I do it early but hold delivery till the deadline (in case new information means I need to re-work part of it to get a better result).

Another trick I use is place a task I am less enthusiastic about before one I like more. I can do "Y - fun" only after finishing "X - less fun".

I also break the tasks down into small discrete segments so I can tick off at least part of it being finished. Task "X" may include "A - gather things", "B - prepare gathered things", "C - work on prepared things", "D - finish task on work things". This way small victories accumulate.

I'll also use the "ambush" trick. Place the un-finished thing I need to do on top of, or in the way of, another task I must do by a certain time. This way it does not get forgotten.

Lastly, set alarms (phones and online calendars with reminders are great for this). This way you can put a machine or process in place and come back to it at a set time (convenient to you). Or set a time that you must start something. Stops things out of sight being forgotten.
    m2po1s55bm76.jpg

"I don't have time" really equates to "It's not important enough to me" or "Make it worth my while or it's not going to happen". (Being asked to cross town in 3 hours time to receive a gift of $1,000,000. I'm sure time will magically become available).

"I didn't have time" equates to "The dog ate my homework".

Important not to take on too many things. Otherwise you will end up keeping a city pound worth of dogs fed on homework. (Guilty of this in the past. One of my most valued lessons was learning that it is at times OK to say NO).

My $0.02 for the day.
  • pears734
    pears734 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Exercise? Yes m; 52 minutes of strength training and a 30 minute run
    Tracking? Yes
    Calories? Yes
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    May 25
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 5km in 45 minutes (hills - cold day so walked faster to keep warm).
    Calories?: Yes.
    Tracked?: Yes.

Found MapMyWalk also tracks altitude :smiley: . Last Sunday's walk was interesting to see the map of.

@pribud Happy anniversary.
  • pears734
    Options
    pears734 wrote: »
    Exercise? Yes m; 52 minutes of strength training and a 30 minute run
    Tracking? Yes
    Calories? Yes

Oops, I shouldn't post so early; I posted on the wrong day haha.

I tend to overbook myself quite a bit. Unfortunately, I have a tendency to procrastinate, but if I say that I will get something done, it always gets done. I'm very task oriented, and usually have my next ten steps planned. However, my to-do lists are in my head. Writing them down hinders my efficiency, if you can believe it. My most helpful 'tool' or tendency is to have my day mapped out with room for flexibility. It's just an outline, but it helps me stay moving, organized, and productive.

• phoebelayla
    phoebelayla Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am not a procrastinator, as that would cause me way too much stress. Lol! I get work (career, home, etc.) done first and then can enjoy leisure without things hanging over my head. I am definitely a list maker. I have lists at home and work and love to complete those lists. Amazon Alexa is my friend for making simple lists at home like shopping and to-do. I can just call out to Alexa as I think of it. Plus I love tech stuff. I do use alarms on my phone as well for reminders.
  • Dosse1320
    Dosse1320 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am not a procrastinator; I do not work well under pressure. Some strategies that work for me are scheduling, making lists, using a planner and having outer accountability. I am a moderator which means I go about a big task(like yard work) by doing small daily chunks of work over a long period of time ( lets say a week). Slow and steady. This way I am not overwhelmed and things get done. I am happier because I have time for both fun and work on a daily basis. @RangerRickL great question. I listen to a great podcast called "Happier with Gretchen Rubin". She wrote the book called " The Happiness Project".
    The Happiness Project has been a blockbuster bestseller. It spent more than two years on the New York Times bestseller list. Her podcast and her books are full of inspiring strategies and insights into forming habits and being a little bit happier.
  • fightingthetideofaging
    fightingthetideofaging Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, 45 minute Hi Low HIIT class, followed by a 45 minute Barre class.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • Dosse1320
    Dosse1320 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Took my 3 year old granddaughter and my 5 year old grandson swimming this morning. This afternoon I played an hour of pickle ball. Feeling good.
    Congratulations @pribud
  • SimonsChange
    SimonsChange Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Spent two hours hand washing a car which ate my day hope that counts :/ (Sunny day tomorrow gonna have a nice long walk / jog)
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • SephiraAllen
    SephiraAllen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? yes
  • RangerRickL
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @SimonsChange 2 hours of washing a car sounds like lots of work to me!
    @2020pinktogo and @phoebelayla and @craigo3154 and @Dosse1320 it is no surprise that you are very disciplined.
    You impress me!!
    BTW: do any of you know your Meyers Briggs personality profile? Mine is ENTP. Everyone I have ever met whose profile ends in the letter "P", which supposed to mean "Perceptive", in my experience, it actually means "P" for Procrastination. Those who are self-driven to be task finishers usually have the letter 'J" in the 4th position of a Meyers Briggs profile.
  • theforceawaken
    theforceawaken Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes (swimming lesson)
    Yes (eating tons of vegetables!)
    Yes (hard to remember all when I am now munching on different veggies and healthy snacks throughout the day, but trying hard)
  • pears734
    Options
    The real 25th check-in:

Exercise? Yes; 56 minutes of strength training and a 30 minute run
    Calories? Yes
    Tracking? Yes
  • bocasdelbobdog
    bocasdelbobdog Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ack! I had bad diet today.

Tracking no
    budget unknown
    exercise 40 minutes

Last day of school. Went to a sugar party with rapscallions. They also
    had kind of healthy food. So I ate all of that too.

For exercise I rode out and back on a flat route. Only 90 feet of climb. Part of that climb is in soft sand. Man o man! But hey, 40 minutes, at least I got that.

00vbdofu24ak.jpg