1st Pregnancy Weight Gain

Options
timberowl
timberowl Posts: 331 Member
I'm 32 years old, and started out my pregnancy pretty overweight. 5'8 and 193. I'm at 24 weeks now and 199. I have a Fitbit Charge 2, and I've decided to start counting calories again to try to reign in the weight gain for the upcoming third trimester, which I'm terrified of.
I keep having to remind myself how much I weighed when I got pregnant--my weight has steadily increased from 150 back in 2013. I keep catching myself comparing my weight gain to 150 instead of 193. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2013 when I gained 20 lbs in 3 weeks despite exercising and counting calories like I always did. I finally had surgery on one of my ovaries in August of last year, once I healed I started working out again and the weight was starting to dip, and then in December I got pregnant.

I've seen some people on here say to eat at maintenance+baby. How many calories should I allow for the baby? MFP says my maintenance is just over 2,000 calories. Do you eat back your exercise calories?

Replies

• Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Double check with your OB or midwife at next appointment to be sure. But for me, I ate at maintenance for 1st, maintenance +300 for 2nd and maintenance +500 for third (until I stopped caring - I'm 37w and haven't logged for about a month or so). I think so far I've gained about 20-23 pounds depending on the day and water weight.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Agree with hurricane. And yes, you probably want to eat back your exercise calories, or at least a part of them in you are unsure about burns.

6 lbs in 24 weeks is amazing, im 24 weeks too and up about 12. Try to relax about the 3rd trimester, baby will grow alot and feeding both of you is important!
  • Ismeme
    Ismeme Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with gaining (this is my first pregnancy and am 29 weeks). I've only gained about 2 pounds over pre-pregnancy so far, as I lost a bit first and part of second trimester. My OB so far has told me not to worry and that I still may catch up, but that the baby is fine and growing well. I'd say to just focus on eating nutritionally dense foods, and the weight gain should take care of its self.