Starting My Journey Today!!

Options
Hello, I am beginning my journey to prepare for the sleeve. I have 6 months of doctor overseen diet which starts today. I have tried to diet and exercise before to no avail; which is why I am trying to go the route of surgery. Anyone with ideas or suggestions to make this time "different" I would greatly appreciate them!!

Replies

• bcosby83
    bcosby83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went this route because I received scary blood test results and that scared me straight enough to breeze through all the pre surgery hoops. It's always a struggle though.

Quit pop-even diet
    Walk daily
    Write down your food (my food journals were checked and I was frankly embarrassed to show them I was eating crap)
    Use servings sizes
    I had a diabetic dietician tell me to aim for 30 carbs or fewer per meal. I had to readjust my meals but I did this for the 6 months before surgery

*I am certainly not a medical professional. These were my personal experiences/suggestions

Best of luck! I was sleeved 12/18/13
  • EasyBakeOven
    EasyBakeOven Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im adding you as a friend. I am working towards my VSG this year, hoping my May. In order to do so my insurance (Kaiser) has me going through 12 weeks of classes where we talk to dietitians, psychologists, and other medical professionals.

I have not been very successful on my own even though I have felt that I made a lot of effort. I think the biggest thing that I have taken away from these classes (I'm 5 weeks in) has been that I have to change so much in my mind. I have to recognize that I have emotional connection to food and that the sleeve is simply a tool. You really have to do a lot of work with changing the way you view yourself, food and everything that goes with it. This is definitely not the easy way out as some would say. But there is a lot of work to be done. If you are willing to do the work then you will definitely be successful. And feel free to send me a message, I'd be happy to talk anytime.
  • NicholeBryan
    NicholeBryan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old post but just wanted to add that I too am in the process towards a VSG. I have 2 more visits with the dietitian and then we submit to my insurance. I'm praying I'm approved. This has been a long 6 month process with doc visits, blood work, 6 months of Dietitian visits, supervised diet with a food journal and soon to be 2 week liquid diet for surgery. I'm very excited yet anxious and scared. I'm hoping to have surgery sometime in Aug.
  • TracyFalk69
    TracyFalk69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good luck Nichole!! You are almost there!! I was sleeved 3/20/17 - best decision ever!!
  • coffeerose55
    coffeerose55 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I like everyone else has done it all and i do not see this as any easy way out. It is a tool that will definitely put you back on track as you do not want to make yourself sick. As I do more research I also and looking at the relationship I have with food.It has kept me bound and isolated. Time you revamp.. i feel i have wasted time as I am now 60. I no longer wish to continue killing myself. My friend was in tears when he said he could no longer watch a murder in process.That was the defining moment and a wake up call. beside pending health issues. I applaud you all it is a MAJOR decision but everyone I have chatted with said it was the best thing and no regrets
  • coffeerose55
    Options
    Hi,
    The journey begins , Primary Physician just put in the referral.. happy and scared...
  • coffeerose55
    Options
    Hi
    I am not seeing alot ofdiscussion here just wondering if this is still a viable group. I am on a computer all day long for work so when 5pm comes my eyes and wrists have had it. Just checking went to first class as an intro more to come still doing my research...
  • jdandrea24
    jdandrea24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would like to know if this an active group as well