Just starting my journey!

Options
lma81
lma81 Posts: 6 Member
Hi there all! I am just starting my journey and can't wait to see where it leads me!
I am a 35 yr old wife and mother - I have been married for 15 years and we have two daughters that are 9 & 13. Weight has always been an issue for me, though I was not severely overweight until after I had kids. PPD definitely played a role in my weight gain though I didn't recognize the PPD until well after it had passed (I suffered with it for a few years after my youngest was born).
I had been thinking about having gastric bypass for a while and in August I decided that it was time to make it happen. I have attended my initial seminar as well as I had my first appointment with the surgeon. Due to my insurance, I have to have 6 meetings with the dietitian and they need to be monthly so I have some time to wait. My last dietitian appt is scheduled for April 18th, 2017. Hopefully it will not be too long after that I can schedule the actual surgery.

I look forward to reading on here what to expect as well as finding support for after surgery. :)
~~Laura

Replies

• harubin27
    harubin27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi.....the 6 months supervised weight appts have Definately been a battle with me. I lost weight every month doing the low carb, high fat and protein. The doctor advised against it and want me to eat bread and raise my carbs. I instantly gain 15 pounds back in a month and told my husband I will not listen to them again and went back to doing it my way so beware of what they say. I know my insurance requires me to lose at least a pound or more a month. I now have my surgery date of 2-1-2017 but still per doctor have to have monthly weight checking. Very fustrating when u see no scale progress at home. I also have 3 children and ate to supress a lot. U will do great!
  • Rebecca_1492
    Rebecca_1492 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ima81, do you have to lose a particular amount of weight for insurance requirements? I just had RNY on Nov 28 2016 and so far I do not regret doing this one bit.
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura - I too am just starting this process and admire that you are approaching this goal earlier in life. (I'm 64 and my three kids are all grown now) If you'd like to send a friend request, I'll be on here too for some time to come. Becky