Making a change at work for healthy choices - Can I do it?

Debeison
Debeison Posts: 5 Member
I’m working on actions for healthy living. This encompasses making changes while I’m in the workplace. I’m looking for long-term changes so that I can go the distance. It seems doable. Yet, I think we have a culture chasm when it comes to sustained weight loss through healthy living. I first heard this term last Fall. I saw it used in the context of “leaders say they want a culture characterized by innovation, initiative, and candor while employees say what’s really valued is obedience, predictability, and deference to authority.” Hmmmm, not here, right? Meanwhile, in terms of eating healthy - I say, I want to make healthy food choices and I know my colleagues support me at work, yet I’m having donuts at morning meetings, candy or cookies in the afternoon, and lunches that have enough calories to satisfy anybody’s daily requirement. I don’t have the candy dish on my desk, but I know where to find offices that have chocolate that I can “grab when needed.” What is that all about? It’s not about eating healthy. So, eating in an unhealthy manner - is it fitting in with the team or just mindlessly doing what we always do, just cause. For example, do you head to the kitchen when the announcement goes out about leftover food for the taking – I do! In fact, I look forward to seeing what goodies are in the kitchen. Did I say “goodies?” Hey, if I lose a few pounds will there be an office pool on how long it will take for me to gain it back? Are you supporting me or patiently waiting for me to stop dieting and get back to normal. Or, do you think I’m losing weight because I’m sick? Think about that for a minute. I want to change and it’s okay to do so. Yes, I think not only is it okay, it’s the way to success for health living. I’ll still be me and capable of performing my daily activities and tasks. Join me in making a change. Let’s go the distance.

Replies