Vegan low carb

Is anyone in the group following a low carb vegan meal plan? If so will you post or share sample meal plans of how you get through the day? And please share the amount of carbs you try to stay under. Thanks

Replies

• Stitched84
    Stitched84 Posts: 14 Member
    I would also like to know this too. I've only just started logging my food and this week have been following vegan fitness models free meal plan but I keep going way over my carb allowance.
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Dr. Furhman's Eat to Live diet is lower in carbs than most. He sets limits on the amount of grain and starchy veggies in a day, but no specific carb gram amount. Check it out.
  • victoriakeirnan
    victoriakeirnan Posts: 2 Member
    I went from vegetarian to vegan last fall and I felt that I wasn't quite getting it right so I met with a nutritionist. She quickly pointed out that I was getting too many calories from carbs and not enough from protein. She suggested I add more protein and also eat more earlier in the day. I now add protein powder to my yogurt and also sometimes have a vegan protein drink. My snacks are almonds or toasted chickpeas; no more popcorn! I also eat hummus often, and tofu. One great option I've found is edamame pasta. It's very high protein and low carb. I'm starting to lose the weight I put on through inadvertent carb loading. Would love other low carb/high protein ideas.
  • msfuzzyvegan1
    msfuzzyvegan1 Posts: 6 Member
    We need carbs guys. They give us energy. The best plant based diets are high carb low fat.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    We need carbs guys. They give us energy. The best plant based diets are high carb low fat.

I think the best plant-based diet is the one that an individual enjoys and allows them to meet their nutritional needs. For some people, that will be high carbohydrate/low fat. For others, it may be lower in carbohydrates. And for people like me, who feel terrible and low energy on a low fat diet, it will be higher fat.
  • blackmaths
    blackmaths Posts: 4 Member
    low carb day example:
    breakfast: 200g tofu pan fried + 75g mushrooms + 100g avocado + handful of spinach
    lunch: 100g lentils + 75g peppers + 50g sliced avocado on a bed of salad leaves
    dinner: 75g of oven baked sweet potato wedges + 100g of baked tofu + 50g steamed broccoli
    snack: protein shake blended with 30g nut butter + 30g of almonds
    calories: ~1350, carbs: 85g, protein: 110g, fat 80g
    personally I would recommend having low carb days on rest days + increase carbs on days when you're weight training to fuel your workout. so if you lift 4 days a week, do low carb on the other 3 to aid recovery.