Bone Broth

Options
dklibert
dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
Looking for tips and recipes for bone broth. I tried last night and I am just not sure I had the best results. It did gel some. Please share your favorite tips and tricks. TIA

Replies

• issy2356
    issy2356 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have not done this yet so im not sure but i did see recipes on you tube how to do it in pressure cooker. Cant remember now but you may wanna check that out.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I plan to try again this weekend. If I get good results I will be sure to share.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I make it weekly. My best tips are to add a splash or two of apple cider vinegar, add just enough to cover the bones and vegetables and pressure cook for 4 hours.
  • dklibert
    Options
    I think I might be adding too much water. I saw some where 2 inches above ingredients. So that is what I did first. It did not gel much. going to try this week with less water. I had the time part right. Thanks for the tips!
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Where do you get your bones for bone broth? Just from steaks and chicken carcasses and pork chops and such, or can you buy them from the meat market? (I guess we don't use a lot of bone-in meats)
  • dklibert
    Options
    My store sells some different types. They are not always in stock I just buy when they have them. Sometimes the beef bones are labeled soup bones. I have found pork and turkey neck bones. I most often use the bones from a roast chicken. I just pull the meat off the roast chicken for dinner and freeze the bones until I have maybe two chickens worth of bones. Or I will use one chicken carcass and then add some roasted pork neck bones. That combination is great for a ramen broth. Some people say they ask the butcher for chicken backs. I haven't tried that yet.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I'll start scoping out the meat dept - thanks!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Whole foods sells them. They keep them in a freezer by the meat counter.