June 2017

Options
SweetPeasMom55
SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
Today I do my very first 5 k. I will let you know how it goes. ;)

Replies

• SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    I completed my first 5 k 42 min 13 sec all walking. I walked alone another thing off the bucket list.
  • 1skholloway
    1skholloway Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @2020pinktogo ! That's a great time for walking that distance.

Even though I am maintaining my weight and eat healthy, my relationship with food is still not very healthy. I still put too much emphasis on how much I weigh. I am scared I a going to gain all the weight back. Also, I just realized I still look to food for too much joy and fulfillment in my life. I have to to find other things to fill those needs. I just made this realization as I started this entry. I am working on finding joy in one area of life but need to expand it to other areas. I wish I could find more joy and fulfillment in exercise! I don't know if I will ever enjoy it. We area always a work in progress aren't we!
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    Yes I did well with my weight but I shopped a lot. Something I had to stop now I came home stressed and I ate candy. So I know what your talking about. I need to exercise 45 min to come inline with all the calories I consumed today. I too have to find some sort of balance right now I am doing more the teeter totter thing.
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    I am such an all or nothing person. I started exercising today and had trouble stopping. I had already exercised when I went for a 5 minute walk to get my mail. It turned in to an hour walk. I kept thinking, just 15 more minutes. I then realized I was less than 1,000 steps from having 20,000 steps for the day so I started walking again. I ended up falling. I suppose that two of my first reactions were to feel embarrassed and wonder who saw me were good indications that the worst injury was to my pride. I'm thankful for only 2 scrapes. I'm gonna hurt Monday. It was a good day despite the fall.
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    Oh. my. goodness! I made homemade fat free and lactose free greek yogurt and it's so good! It's easy to make, it just requires a lot of time sitting. It's healthy, cheaper to make than buy, and very versatile. It can be used as sour cream or sweetened to eat like traditional yogurt. It's very thick and creamy. It reminds me of cream cheese. Oh yeah, I'll be making this again!
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    Sounds delicious I am not that good at waiting when I want something it's like ok I want that now.
  • JanolaBarbara
    JanolaBarbara Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hello, Ladies!

I was in South America for 3 months, so I didn't do any logging or checking in with you folks. Then, I was home for about a week before I caught a cold. :-( Feeling better now and have started to log my exercise. I don't want to log my food yet, and I don't know why not. Anyway, progress is progress. I did lose some weight during my trip! Now to make sure I don't gain it all back.

Glad some of you are still active in this group.
    @1skholloway -- what is your yogurt recipe?
    @2020pinktogo -- Congrats on your first 5K!
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    Welcome back @JanolaBarbara ! You have been missed! I use thisolgal's yogurt recipe at https://thisoldgal.com/instant-pot-greek-yogurt/. It's very simple. I have been straining my yogurt to make greek yogurt. I get very thick yogurt. I may try not draining it in the future though. I drain off so much whey and I don't have a use for it and it reduces the amount by more then half. The calorie content is about the same but greek yogurt has more protein and less sugar. I usually need more protein each day so I'm still considering what I will do next batch.

I have an Amazon fire tv box (similar to Roku) because I don't have cable or satellite tv. I have been enjoying it and yesterday I tried one of the exercise apps on it. I am very pleased with the number and variety of exercise videos on it. This has been a great purchase for me.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    I worked on the garden yesterday my tush is so sore. I took today off as a vacation day but I am meeting my one coworker after work to walk. I need to get dressed soon and put out my mattress in the neighbors trash. His pick up is today and they have large pick up every week. Our side of the road only has large pick up twice a year. Today there is going to be no risk so I can finally put it out and not worry about it weighing a ton.
  • JanolaBarbara
    JanolaBarbara Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    @2020pinktogo -- I've been playing catch up with my garden, too. I hear ya' about the sore rear. My hamstrings are also sore. But, that means they're getting used, right?
    @1skholloway -- I have Amazon Prime Video. Maybe I should check out some of their exercise videos?
  • NewOR2015
    NewOR2015 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Hi, all. I share your pain. I've been moving from one school to another. Packing and lifting too much. Also, worked on backyard, mowing, pruning, etc. I've been doing my tracking on WW and only visit mfp once in a while now. Tomorrow I start my vacation. Going to Alaska. Looking forward to the cooler weather. Texas is way too hot already. I'd love to go to South America some day.
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    Well I suppose I will jump on the sore wagon. I tried some new exercises. Between that and a very deep tissue massage, I was sore for a few days.

It's good to hear from you @newOR2015. How's WW working for you?

Sadly, there is no travel vacation in sight for me. I am considering going to a lake house for a weekend about an hour from home. It has a beautiful view but no internet and not much to do when by yourself. This weekend I decided to try some things I would do at the lake house at home, I guess you could call it a staycation. Today I am sitting on my patio for breakfast to relax and enjoy the outdoors. It's overcast and about 80 degrees. A breeze comes through occasionally. I have a view of the woods from my anti-gravity chair. It's nice. There's no water view but I have everything else that I would have at the lake house. It has satellite tv but since I have wifi at home, I have more entertainment options here. I am enjoying being still and quiet.

@JanolaBarbara Amazon Prime does have some exercise videos but none that piqued my interest enough to try them. The FitYou app is the one I like and I think it's compatible with a Kindle. The videos do freeze some and ads as part of it. I can handle that for the price for which I am paying for them. You can probably find work outs on youtube by some of the same people. I'll have to look for the names and let you know who I like. One app (sorry I don't recall which one right now) allows you to choose what part of your body you want to work on and the length of the workout. I did a 5 minute cardio and it was a great workout!

We have a new trendy farmers market open on Saturdays. Live music is played and a variety of food is sold. It's in a parking lot between a coffee house and restaurant in a nice area of town. It has a lot of potential. I may venture up there today because they are supposed to have fresh peaches. I haven't had any peaches yet this year.

As fare as we know, I am only the only family who will visit my parents this weekend for Father's Day. I am going to make some chicken and turkey sausage gumbo and take for lunch tomorrow. Dad likes cantaloupe and is trying to lose some weight so I'll probably take a cantaloupe as well. I have really been enjoying cantaloupe this season. I am going to make some cauliflower rice and offer to let my parents try it. I love rice so I am glad to have found a healthier alternative.

I have been having some problems eating more in the evening than I normally would. Even though my choices are still healthy, having second helpings because I really enjoy the food is not a good habit. I have been having some depression since the week before Mother's Day and I don't know if that is contributing to my eating problem. The depression isn't bad praise God, but I'm tired of it. I am on my last week of weening off Gabapentin and don't know if that contributes to the depression. I have medical check ups in July and August and I'm wondering if I should hold off until then to have things checked out or go now. I'm wondering if my hormones might need to be adjusted.

I hope y'all have a lovely weekend.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    Maybe it's a weather thing I know myself and a few other mfp members have been having issues with depression too. I need to get moving my parents are going to wonder where I am this morning till later
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    It could be weather related. I don't like summer plus we have been getting a lot of rain the last few days. I like rain but it could contribute to my current state. As it turns out, I hit what will hopefully be rock bottom for this depressive episode last Monday. My depression diagnosis is "major depression recurrent" which means I occasionally have episodes of depression for no reason. I have been in an episode for about 7 weeks now. My doctor doubled my cymbalta. I am no longer sad but I have no energy. I just want to sit and stare. I have exercised 4 days this week - 2 of those days at the gym. I am having some pain when I walk so I walked gently at home last night. Things are better and hopefully will continue to improve! I hope your depression improves as well.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    Ok I was doing well till I had to deal with mom. I guess we all have bad days I just ate 720 calories of cheddar puffs. Now I have to exercise so I have calories for a real meal . I was just so depressed when I was shopping I got a bag and somehow ate the whole bag. I should have bought the expensive salad and just had something decent. Ok I am off to exercise till later.
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    Oh, I'm so sorry! I can relate to that feeling. My parents are out of town and I went to their house to pick up a package for them. The weather was nice so I ended up picking up fallen limbs from a storm and picking figs, blueberries, and purple hull peas. I took all the produce to a friend who has a new grandbaby. She was going to cook lunch for the new parents today. I walked a lot but I ate back most of my calories and too many of them after 9:30 pm. I exercised until about midnight. I experienced a small weight gain today. :/

Today I don't want to get off the sofa. I have been walking in the house but it feels like I'm moving very slowly. At least I'm moving some. I hope tomorrow is better.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    We are having rain and its cold and boy am I depressed. I need to get up and moving this is crazy.
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    Well, I have the opposite problem temperature wise. It's hot and humid. Actually, that's usually not much of a problem for me because I usually exercise indoors. It does present a problem when after doing something like running errands and I get home I am so hot that I don't want to do anything or the yard needs mowing and it's hot. The is in the low 90's so it will get worse. We really have been blessed that it's not hotter.

I saw my psychiatrist Tuesday. Based on notes from my therapist and general doctor, he thinks this bout of depression is caused by something biological. It could be a result of getting off meds I was taking for migraines. He said I am doing everything right. My anti-depressant had been increased for only a week and he wants to see me in a month. If I'm not where he wants me to be then, he will prescribe another medicine. I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand, I don't want to be on another medicine. On the other hand, I don't want to be depressed for another month. I keep putting one foot in front of the other with the hope that today will be a better day.

I am better but I need to improve more. I am exercising everyday. I have a family reunion with extended family this Saturday. I dread it but it will probably be ok. I am going because my favorite aunt, one of her sons, and his four children are coming from 5 hours away. I am already praying that all goes well and planning on taking anti-anxiety medicine.

I hope you are having warmer, drier weather and feeling better.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    Still raining my sister will be coming in on the 7 th that will be my rough time I want to see them all but as she is a very domineering person. It's going to be a rough time for me..