Term 3

Saeraphine
Saeraphine Posts: 2,793 Member
edited October 2017 in Social Groups
Term 2

Chapter 1 by Saeraphine

First Look

The First Years had finally made it to the top of Mount Greylock, struggling to keep up with Urthbert, their grumpy, spiky pukwudgie guide, as he led them past the castle ground’s protective wards. They had watched as the returning students had been whisked away shortly after the trek started. The Horned Serpents venturing into a large waterspout that rose up from the lake, while the Pukwudgie students seemed to have been disappeared by bending trees. The Thunderbirds had risen up into the sky, robes flapping while a mighty gale swept them away. The most unsettling though had been the Wampus students, willingly walking into a roaring inferno. But Urthbert seemed unconcerned, and the Wampus themselves had laughed and raced into the flames.

Alphreia, Etherlily1, and Mxmakm were among the first to get a glimpse of the school, and stopped in their tracks, eyes going wide and mouths agape. Ilvermorny practically gleamed in the sunlight, the white grey stone dazzling the eyes as the multitude of windows reflected the surrounding forest at the edges of the clearing, creating the illusion of being able to look through the castle to the forest beyond. A single tower, named Stella's Stele but more commonly referred to as the Astronomy Tower, rose high into the sky while the castle itself, laid out in a "V" with the opening facing the southeast, seemed to have sprouted from the mountainside. The hill it was on had been dug away in levels to allow for multiple exposed lower floors at the back, the point of the V. Waiting on the other side of the fountain in front of the main entrance was Professor Rbratt, her posture slightly tense but her smile genuinely welcoming. The new students didn't know yet that something was wrong with this greeting...

Typically, all four faculty members were waiting to greet the new arrivals. But recent events had caused quite an upset in the routine of the castle. Professor Rbratt, the Head of Pukwudgie and teacher of Potions and Care of Magical Creatures, was the only (human) staff member currently in residence. Quickly, she gestured the crowd inside and closed the large wooden doors behind them. Cutting through, she led them from the entry up a couple of stairs to the larger gathering area before three sets of large, ornate doors.

As the students filed in, they passed two rooms on opposite sides of the short hall, both filled to the brim with trophies, awards, and plaques - evidence of victories and achievements of terms past. There seemed to be quite a bit of a dark, reddish purple draped around two of the largest trophies. Professor Rbratt cleared her throat, reclaiming their attention. "Welcome all, to the Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry! We are quite pleased to have you here, especially in these troubled times. We had to forgo our usual gathering at the Stars Rest Inn down in our allied No-Maj town of Williamstown, as there have been some... unsavory and unwelcome visitors. But I'm pleased to see the new location for the portkey worked flawlessly and you met up with our friend Urthbert at the base of the mountain."

"At least they aren't as out of breath as the last new class..." Urthbert grumbled, arms crossed on his tiny grey frame. "Maybe we should always forgo the pumpkin juice and bring 'em straight up."

This Way

The professor looked surprised. "Why, Urthbert, that was almost something nice you just said!" Leaning in to whisper conspiratorially with the new students, Rbratt let them in on a little secret. "He may be prickly, but don't let him fool you. He's got a heart of gold." She looked up and winked at Urthbert. His cheeks coloring, Urthbert huffed. Then not knowing what else to do, he mumbled something about going to feed Sheep, wandering off to one of the dragon paddocks at the rear of the castle.

Addressing the crowd again, Rbratt continued kindly, "You may leave your belongings here. You've already carried them up a mountain. Later (Saturday), you'll be sorted in The Statuary, which is through the doors behind me, and our pukwudgie friends will make sure your items find their way to your new house. Usually piled on the floor, but they'll make it there, nonetheless. But first, I'm sure you're starving! On to the Welcome Feast! This way!"

The Short Version.... uh, kinda

The students were led to the west side of the castle and into a large airy hall filled with circular tables, chatting returning students, and the smells of mouth-watering savory foods that had yet to be seen. As the new students were welcomed by those already seated, Sue_01 waved to Megzchica23, getting her attention and pointing to an empty seat at the table. "You made it!" Sue exclaimed excitedly. "I was worried you all might get intercepted."

elinors playfully pushed Sue's shoulder. "I told you, Urthbert could take care of any Hunters that might've stumbled upon them."

"But if Professor Dapperwulf got captured by them--"

Cpanus interrupted fervently, "He didn't get captured! He surrendered to save Ejwilliams and Violet. There's a difference."

Megzchica23 wasn't quite following the conversation. Hunters? Captured professors? "Just what has been happening around here?" she asked confused and curious.

Redversustheblue put down her pewter cup, taking pity on the new student. "Okay, here's the short version: The No-maj (though not our friends at Williamstown, they actually know us) are getting super paranoid about witchcraft, saying it's demon power and evil. They've got some government empowered thugs hunting down supposed witches. They took our No-Maj friend Violet - she's the grandmotherly woman at the head table. We kinda have to hide her here, but more on that in a sec. Anyway, they accused Violet, took her to go on trial in Salem, and some students attempted a rescue mission, but the hunters got the best of them. Professor Dapperwulf was out trying to find Thunderbird's dragon Magellan (who is going through puberty, in love with a sheep named Sheep, and pretty much moody as can be), and ended up finding the overwhelmed rescue party instead. He traded himself for their release, then tricked the Hunters into thinking Violet was dead with some dragon sedative, so they left her behind. Cue Headmistress Saeraphine and the search party that went looking for the Professor, they find Violet. The Headmistress continues on the trail with some students as backup, the others bring back Violet and revive her, which is why she's hiding out here until this whole witch hunter thing goes away. Last we heard, Professor Arielluma was headed to Salem, where Professor Dapperwulf is awaiting trial and Headmistress Saeraphine is probably working to bust him out as we speak. Not sure what's taking so long, though. But we've been told to stay sharp in case we're needed." Redversustheblue took a deep breath after speeding through the "short version" and looked at Megz' still confused face. "Did you get all that?"

"Uh... sure?" Megz replied. She looked over at Sue and shook her head "no". Sue laughed and clarified, "Simply put, bad people are doing bad things. We're going to help the professors stop it."

Megz nodded slowly. "Ah, okay."

Just then, the food appeared with a word from Professor Rbratt, a delicious array of hearty meat dishes and vegetables, along with platters of fruits, cheeses, and rolls. Despite the current anti-magic climate, it seemed the school was not wanting. "Whoa, Grandmam Pukwudgie sure did outdo herself this time!" Tmeadows08 exclaimed. "I think there's even more here than the last Welcome Feast!"

Strength

LavaDoll noticed GrandmaJackie picking halfheartedly at her dessert. "What's wrong, GJ?" she asked, looking concerned.

GrandmaJackie looked up, her head leaned on her hand. "It's just this whole mess. The school's not the same without with all the professors. I'm worried something's gone wrong. Why did Professor Arielluma rush off yesterday? Why haven't they returned with Professor Dapperwulf already?"

"What is it they say, ‘worrying means you suffer twice’? Remember, Salem is a huge No-Maj settlement, on high alert for witchcraft. I'm sure it takes careful planning to go undetected and go about a jailbreak. But if they need our help, they'll surely ask. They know they're not alone."

Replies

• Saeraphine
    Chapter 2 by Saeraphine

Grueling

It had been a few weeks since Professor Dapperwulf had arrived in the cells of Salem. If there was one thing to be grateful for, it was that they were warmer than the cold outside. The shelter of the walls made of oversized smooth grey pebbles mixed here and there with red brick, combined with the vigorous daily routine the professor still maintained in his cramped cell did well enough to keep him warm as he waited for the judges to be assembled in the town and his trial to begin.

The not-long-ago-concussed professor was in the middle of his burpees, preferring his own torture to that of the more sadistic questioners, when the evening guard came with Dapperwulf’s daily rations. Seeing the professor jumping around his cell, the old man Perry shook his head. “There’s no question you’re an odd one, lad. How do you even have the energy to be making all that racket?”

Dapperwulf reached through the iron bars and politely accepted the meager serving of thin gruel with an unidentifiable grey vegetable floating in it… or at least Dapperwulf hoped it was a vegetable. It was only slightly more appetizing than nothing at all, the only real purpose one would ever eat it would be because one was starving, to stave off the hunger pains for a short while, but that mark in its favor was always at risk by the fact that it could make the consumer sick instead if it’d gone rotten. “It’s this mighty fine fare you bring me, Mister Perry. That and I’d enjoy not freezing to death before I’m found innocent as a newborn babe.”

Mostly True

That got a snort out of Perry. “Don’t forget you’ve told me some stories while we idled away my watch. I still haven’t made up my mind about you being devil-marked - seems to me your eyes look the same as anyone else’s, though thank the maker I’m not called to judge - but I know for a fact that last part hasn’t a grain of truth.”

Dapperwulf smirked, already making a show of gobbling at the gruel hungrily. It was true he had traded a few modified tales, (he couldn’t exactly tell him about Hogwarts or Ilvermorny) with the guard who seemed the least convinced of his guilt. Dapperwulf might have become the head of Wampus, but he’d grown up in Slytherin, and currying goodwill wherever it was to be gained was second nature to him. Who knew, maybe he could convince the aging man to let him out should the need arise.

But for now, he was fine to stay in his cell. An odd thing, but true. “Alright, maybe that’s a bit of an… exaggeration. But I’m not devil-marked, I’ve made no deals, not sold my soul for a bit of coin if that’s what they’re saying.” That at least he could say with the ring of truth. He may not be innocent of witchcraft, but he wasn’t the demon they purported him to be.

Perry studied him for a second as Dapperwulf continue to eat. As much as he liked talking to the man, and he was an enjoyable companion - especially given the circumstances, Dapperwulf hoped Perry wouldn’t linger till he’d have to finish the whole bowl. His stomach roiled at the thought, and he gagged slightly around his mouthful. Giving a sympathetic chuckle, Perry finally replied, “The truth will out, lad. And if I’m not mistaken, that gruel might be fighting its way out too. I’ll let you eat - or be sick, whichever is the case - in peace. If it’s the latter, I’d rather not have to watch.”

Dapperwulf wiped at his mouth with the skin at his wrist, then nodded his understanding. “Then I shall take my leave and return to my corner. Enjoy your evening, my good Perry,” he said with all the poshness he could manage. It had become a small joke between them after the guard had noted Dapperwulf’s always impeccable manners, like those of a noble, despite his circumstances.

Perry laughed and made a ridiculous flourished bow to the professor. “And you, good sir.” Dapperwulf grinned as the man sauntered off to continue his watch. Of course, they’d never display such a convivial conversation if there were others around. They seemed to both understand that if they did, Perry would more than likely get reassigned. And Dapperwulf… well, he’d most likely receive a beating for bewitching the man, like those he’d gotten during the first week’s initial rounds of questioning.

Imaginary (or Invisible) Friends

Dapperwulf sat the disgusting excuse for food on the floor beside him, waiting for when he would see the torchlight of the hall flicker with a passing breeze and hoping he hadn’t eaten enough of the slop to get him sick. Then he saw it. The sideways slant of the flames as something unseen went past. He got up quickly, but walked with a forced casualness to the iron bars of his cell and hung his hands out, as if he were just passing the time. Suddenly, a hearty bun dotted with pieces of dried fruit bumped against his hand.

Grabbing it and immediately withdrawing it into his cell, the professor whispered before tearing off a bite, “Good evening, Yume.”

A hushed voice answered back, “Hello, Professor. Here, the peach, eat that first. I tried to get some ham in, but a stray dog smelled it and gave chase, so I had to abandon it in the alley. I still have the cheese and usual jerky though. The Headmistress sent a few of these too.” As she named each item, they appeared in front of him, the last being a few pieces of chocolate. “She almost sent some cinnamon hard candies, but remembered, quite rightly, that the smell would draw suspicion.”

“This is perfect, Yume. Thank you. Any progress from the outside?” he was hurriedly eating as much of the peach as he could, knowing Yume would need to take the pit with her. If his cell got searched, as it often did, there could be no evidence of any outside help. He had almost refused the healing when Yume had first appeared last week, but she’d pointed out that if they had mistaken his dilated pupils for devil’s eyes, then they wouldn’t know it was a concussion being cured more quickly than it should. His pupils returning to the normal size couldn’t hurt his case either, and it had definitely helped his efforts with Perry.

“Nothing of note as of yet. Professor Arielluma’s come with supplies and to replace the Headmistress at our camp so she can get back to the castle. She thinks she may remember a spell that could indicate if magic is present, but will need to do some searching. Personally, I think even if she does find it, it sounds like it could be quite a complicated bit of work. I'm not sure of its effectiveness without an enchanted item of the same magic trying to be located, but maybe if--”

“Yume, as much as I’d love to hear your theories, I don’t think there’s enough time to get into an involved discussion about an arcane piece of magic that may or may not be found. I trust you and the others to figure it out if there’s a way.”

“Are you absolutely sure someone with magic is interfering with the trials? And even if so, how much good are you really doing in this cell?” It was a conversation they’d had every time Yume had drank the invisibility potion and infiltrated the jail while Geminiswede and MzHill08 acted as lookouts, also invisible, confunding anyone who made to walk down the hall before they left. The first time they’d done it, the Headmistress was with them, and the rest of those in the search party had been strategically placed for the escape.

But Dapperwulf had argued around his swollen and bleeding lip that night that he needed to stay. One of the questioners was most certainly imperiused, being forced to go beyond what the man’s normal self would consider needful, trying to get a confession. “Yes, Yume. And the Headmistress, no matter how reluctantly, agreed. It’s necessary. Someone of our kind is meddling in this hysteria, and not to the aid of wizardkind.”

Those Moments

He extended his hand with the pit and it disappeared as Yume swooped it up., the awkwardness of giving his food trash to his apprentice having been supplanted by his need for nutrition. He began eating the rest quickly while Yume inspected his myriad cuts and bruises. “At least those are healing well now with that little bit of help. I could do just a touch more... “

Dapperwulf felt his injuries begin to itch as Yume advanced the healing, packing in another day’s worth in a few seconds. Dapperwulf squirmed, his hands full of the food. “Not to sound ungrateful, but couldn’t that wait just a moment?” he asked through gritted teeth.

“Sorry, but no. I lost time with that dog. We’ll all be visible again in another 5 minutes, and we still need to get out and down the road.”

“Ah,” Dapper said. “Before you go, mind banishing that vile concoction so I don't have to choke the rest of it down?"

Dapper heard Yume's whispered spell and saw his bowl in the corner drain until it was empty. "Much obliged," Dapper said in thanks.

"Okay, we'll be back tomorrow. Goodnight, Professor."

"Goodnight," Dapperwulf said, unsure if she had waited for his reply. But he saw the flicker and knew she had. Even if he couldn't see those coming to his aid, it helped, those moments, of being able to talk to them. Settling down in the corner, working to eat as quickly as he could without choking, he readied himself for another night on the bare cell floor.

Chapter 3 by Saeraphine

Errands

Geminiswede drank the invisibility potion, the tart taste of cherries filling her mouth as it took effect. She held her hand in front of her face, and watched as it faded. “I’ll never get used to that,” she mused, looking down to see the rest of her doing the same.

MzHill and Yume had already gone invisible while Professor Arielluma looked on. “I don’t like you students doing this by yourselves,” she worried.

MzHill answered somewhere from the left of Gemini, “We’ve done this plenty of times. We know our way around and the guard schedule. We should be safe enough, Professor. But if anything happens, we know to come back straightaway.”

Professor Arielluma still frowned, but held up a fading bag of food for Yume to take from her, the invisibility potion having been worked into the cloth. “We’ll be back before you know it,” Yume’s voice said as Arielluma felt the bag moving from her hand.

Arielluma sighed as she heard the steps leaving the room, “Safe travels.”

Something Amiss

The three students moved silently through the streets, much more adept at navigating now than they had been at the beginning of these visits to the captive professor. You never realized how difficult it was to make sure you didn’t bump something when you couldn’t see yourself to squeeze by, or took for granted that someone wouldn’t suddenly change directions directly into you. Staying together had been an interesting chore too, and they’d had to whisper much the first two times, till they came up with checkpoints to make their way to and regroup before continuing on.

They could see the jail finally, but something wasn’t right. The guards at the outer doors weren’t at their post. “That hasn’t happened before. I don’t like this. Something’s different,” MzHill whispered at the checkpoint before the jail, trusting Yume and Gemini were beside her.

Gemini piped up, “It’ll make it easier to get in… there’s any number of reasons why they might not be at the door.”

Yume considered for a moment. “We told Professor Arielluma we’d come back if anything changed…”

“I’m going in,” Gemini said taking off before either could stop her.

A Fitful Fright

The jail entrance was slightly ajar, and she could hear a bustling of voices within. So they were all gathered for something? Slipping in, Gemini saw them gathered around their break table, some munching on what was left of their dinner while they talked.

“.... and when I came over to see why he was screaming, he was on the floor, shaking. He couldn’t control his body, that devil-touched had him completely under his control.”

“Poor Perry. He’s a good man.”

“That he is. When I went to help him though, he couldn’t see me at all. Me! I’ve known him for three years now, and that cursed man had Perry thinking I was one of his minions. Luckily Master Gutan was around and knew what to do. She shouted out to bring him to her and away from the evil that had done it. She had him whisked away to her home. I’m sure the judges have all seen the curse first hand that the little demon set upon him.”

“Good! All the easier to get him what he deserves. James said Perry is sleeping now, something Master Gutan gave him. And he heard about them accelerating the trial. It’s supposed to start in two days now. Trying to give Perry enough time to recuperate so he can testify as a witness against him that cursed him…”

Gemini didn’t wait to listen for more. She silently made her way down the hall, fearful of what she would find in the Professor’s cell. Guards were posted close by, but not directly outside of his cell, as if they feared getting too close.

Dapperwulf saw the flicker of the torch, and couldn’t believe the students were still making their way to him. “Go back,” he hissed.

Gemini saw him then, and sighed in relief that at least he hadn’t faced any injury. But he was shackled now back against the far wall of his cell, arms suspended by a chain bolted into the stone. Gemini could unlock it most likely, but not without the guards hearing the clinking of the metal. “Professor,” she said quietly, not wanting to spook the men near her. “What happened?”

Swallowing, scared that his student was going to get apprehended, he tried to explain as quickly as he could. “Not sure. Perry decided to eat with me. He was chewing on his stale bread, almost halfway through eating it when his eyes got wide and he told me to ‘stop grinning like that’, saying my mouth was opening unnatural. Then he told me to stop shifting my face, and looked around like things were popping up at the edge of his vision. He started swatting, then screaming like he was being bit, yelling for me to stop. He dropped to the ground screaming and they took him away. I guess they’re too scared I’ll curse them too - they haven’t touched me except to shackle me.”

“They want him to testify against you, say they’re moving up the trial,” Gemini informed him, picking up the discarded loaf of bread and inspecting it. “We need to get you out of--”

Suddenly, one of the guards at the break table began to scream, followed by another terrified voice. Dapperwulf, scared of what would happen if Gemini became trapped and suddenly materialized in front of their eyes, whispered forcefully, “GO!”

She didn’t need to be told again, rushing to the exit, she outpaced the guards outside the Professor’s cell as they rushed towards the screams. She whipped past, but turned to look before leaving. Two guards at the table were convulsing, one still gripping his bread in his hand, fingers clamped tightly around it as he spasmed, digging into the loaf.

Gemini looked down to see she still held the bread Perry had been eating. It had an odd blueish tint when compared to the skin of her hand holding it. With a jolt, Gemini realized she could see her hand. She was visible again. Head snapping up, she looked to see if she had been seen at the door, but luckily all the guards were focused on the distressed men at the table. Quickly, Gemini took off to get back to MzHill and Yume so they could report back to Professor Arielluma.

To Work

Lucidream9339 had come to get the Headmistress quickly in the middle of the night. MaralynManson had flown at top speeds from Salem with the information from Gemini, along with the carefully wrapped remnant of the odd loaf she had brought back with her. After hearing his report, Saeraphine had roused a handful of her Serpents, retreating with them to the alchemy labs to run some tests.

Early in the morning, the Headmistress had summoned the entire school to the Great Hall. Scruggla88 leaned over to Kisame29. “Do you think it’s news about your Head of House?” she asked the returning Wampus.

With a frown, Kisame29 nodded her head. “I don’t think we’d be called like this unless something had gone wrong and they need us. Last time they assembled the entire school, we had to catch a rogue dragon.”

Mell8122, hearing that last bit, squeaked in surprise. “You guys had to catch a dragon???”

Mspeck910, smiling, replied. “Oh yes. It involved flying cows. Or well, catapulted cows.”

Quieting as Saeraphine and Rbratt06 stood at the front of the assembled Ilvermornians, they waited to hear what news was to be had.

Rbratt spoke first, her voice steady as she presented the facts to the students. “Late last night, we received news from Salem. Professor Dapperwulf is now to be tried tomorrow, and it seems he is being set up for a quick verdict of guilty. There are now ‘victims’ who will say they’ve been cursed by him. We need to make sure our Professor is not punished for withcraft. But we need your help.”

Speaking up, Saeraphine continued. “Professor Dapperwulf suspected, quite rightly, that one of our kind was tampering with the witch trials. We now have proof in the method of which these victims were cursed - they were given bread laced with a concentrated potion of ergot, a kind of diseased grain. To have created this kind of quick acting poison, most certainly magic was used to enhance the natural effects. You may know I’ve been attempting to locate a spell that could lead us to the source of such magic.”

Saeraphine smiled, but it was cold, and the students who knew her could tell it was at the thought of the slip up of her foe. “Well, fortune has smiled upon us. Not only has the spell been located, but what I thought would be the hard part, finding an example of the magic to be traced, has been handed to us.”

Rbratt began to distribute lists to the different houses. “Here is what we need from you. Each house will have a specific task to complete. Please see the instructions listed, and return to us within the allotted time.”

Speaking over the now chattering students, Saeraphine added. “Either we prove him innocent, or we free him by force, but mark my words, we will get him back.”

Dropping Eaves

Arielluma walked briskly through the early evening crowd, shouldering her way past harried housewives and maids out getting last minute market goods for suppers that night and men hurrying towards home to families or to the tavern for a pint. Adjusting her shawl and pushing a stray lock back from her elaborate braid, she smiled and gave a brief curtsey to a gentleman that held the door for the inn open for her.

“Ah, Mistress Arielluma, good evening frauline. Your wards have already washed up and come down for their supper. I put them at the table near the back room. The judges for the trial tomorrow be back there, so there will be no ruffians to bother you ladies.” The innkeep stated, a bit louder than necessary, and shaking his thick finger at the mere thought of someone bothering them.

“My thanks, Herr Hoffmann, you are very kind.” She smiled at the beefy man. A wizard whose skill in potions was shown in his brewing of ale, his daughter had been a bright first year last spring and he had eagerly offered to host the Ilvermorny party during their time in Salem. Now, he had set them up to hopefully be able to listen in on the judges the night before the trial. She made a mental note to let the Headmistress know to how invaluable he’d been to the cause.

Ssilver1215, Yumesoraki, and Jls1661 were, as promised, already seated at the small table just to one side of the back room, or the Bullpen. Herr Hoffmann had assured them that it’s primary use was for the sequestering of juries and judges during cases, so that they wouldn’t be pestered by the public. And if there happened to be a small crack in the paneling of the wall right beside the table next to the door….well, certainly no one had ever mentioned such a thing being an issue to him……

Jls1661 pushed out the chair beside her for their professor as Ssilver poured her a mug of cider. Yume leaned in close and spoke in hushed tones. “They’re talking about the other two guards, the ones that got sick today. Apparently this ‘Master Gutan’ healed them as well, and they’re both swearing that Professor Dapperwulf escaped his cell, flew over the table thrice, choked them, and called out for all manner of wicked creatures to come and feast on their bones.”

The Thunderbird Head took a large drink of the cider, sighing. “He probably wishes he could choke them and call up a few bandersnatches to gnaw on them a bit, but I imagine he’s kept that to himself. Have they said anything regarding the trial itself tomorrow?”

Ssilver nodded. “It’ll happen just after sun-up. They want to wait for the crowd to gather. That’s why the inn is so packed tonight. Whole families are coming in from out of town for it.”

Ariel looked back and forth at the students, who all fidgeted nervously. “What are you not saying.”

Jls1661 hung her head, her voice barely carrying over the sounds of the inn. “This Master Gutan has been telling people that the ‘demon-touched’, Professor Dapper that is, has the power to do things to them even if he’s nowhere near them. They’ve taken to doing some pretty weird things to ‘ward off’ the evil. Like eating radishes dipped in cream or wrapping their meat in slices of bread. But...most importantly, the way the judges talk….they’ve already pretty much made up their minds. They plan to start the trial early…..so ….so…”

Yume patted her shoulder in comfort and gazed up at the professor. “They plan to execute him by noon.”

Charming Visitors

Crowleyed72, Shinton1618, and Zumbaforever waited for the wagon to pass before crossing the street to the small, well-kept house. The main floor was dark, but there was still a candle showing in the upstairs window. Crowleyed squared his shoulders and knocked sharply. A slightly hoarse voice inside begged a moment, and within a few, there was the sounds of footsteps making their way to the door. An older man in simple clothes opened the door slightly, smiling at the students. “Well, hello. May I help you?”

“Mister Perry? We heard of your misfortunes and thought, as you were still recovering from your ordeal, you may not feel quite up to cooking yet. We brought you some foodstuffs, enough for supper and a bit more besides.” Zumbaforever held up the basket she was carrying and smiled sweetly.

Perry beamed at her. “How thoughtful! Please, please, say you’ll come in and share a bite with me.” The students returned the smile and followed him inside. The poor man still had a bit of a tremor to his hands and legs as he led the way to the small table near the hearth. A kettle was just beginning to whistle on the fire and Shinton rushed to intercept their host, taking it herself and gesturing for him to sit instead. He did thankfully and pointed out to Crowleyed where the mugs and tea were in the cupboard. “I haven’t had many visitors since the incident.” Perry sighed, cupping his hands around his mug. “Rather downheartening, truth be told.” He smiled up at them. “Thank you again muchly for your kindness to an old man. I fear people will no longer trust a fool what let himself get so friendly with such a creature.”

The three students shared a glance, pausing as they laid out the food. “Actually, Mister Perry…” began Zumbaforever.

“There’s a reason other than kindness for our visit……” added Shinton.

“You see, Mister Perry, we go to this school……..” said Crowleyed, leaning on his forearms to explain.

Unwelcome Visitor

The dark of the cell was just beginning to lighten. Dawn had not yet broken and yet Dapperwulf sat, awake and alert on the cold hard stone floor of the cell. The straw for his bedding lay long abandoned in the corner where it had been strewn, given over to the fleas and other vermin - with little regret though. Chained as he was to the wall since Perry’s incident, he couldn’t have reached its meager comfort if he’d wanted. The faint sound of voices came from the rooms beyond, the guards, but hushed with respect and deference they rarely showed.

Raising his head from his chest, the professor made out the figure moving slowly, ponderously through the shadows to stand at his cell door. Cloaked in black and staying far from the sun’s rising light, the figure paused to consider him. A slow, harsh, sick-sounding chuckle rose from the depths of the hood. “Poor Professor…” the voice sneered the title. “‘The manners of a noble’ that fool Perry kept spouting. ‘Couldn’t possibly be demon-touched, just different from us common folk.’ Pity. He was a good man. I hated to have to poison him, but...sometimes you simply can’t avoid collateral damage, and he was talking far too freely...and fondly...of you in the tavern. You always were too charming for your own damned good.” A gnarled hand gripped the iron bars in anger.

Blue eyes narrowed at the visitor. “You know me. And apparently have some grudge….who are you? And what have I done to you or yours?”

The hand gripped the bars tighter for a moment before relaxing and the wheezing, wet laughter escaped from the figure again. “It matters little. I’m sure you’ve done plenty in your life to make people mad at you. You certainly have quite the reputation. Besides,” Long, nails caressed the cold iron as the figure started to move back down the hall. “It will all be over soon enough. ‘Men ought either to be well treated or crushed, because they can avenge themselves of lighter injuries, of more serious ones they cannot; therefore the injury that is to be done to a man ought to be of such a kind that one does not stand in fear of revenge.’ I believe I need not fear you when you are dead, little snake, yes?”

“I’m not dead yet…..Mistress Gaunt.” Dapper murmured softly.

The figure whirled back to face him, still hooded. “How…”

“‘It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.’” He cocked his head studying her. “Besides, I am only one small viper. And by capturing me, and drawing this spectacle out, you have much more to worry about,” he chuckled, rolling his shoulders to relieve the pressure from their outstretched position.

The figure’s head raised slightly. “Oh? You think so? What reasons do I have for fear?”

He grinned devilishly. “I can think of 96 reasons. All led by one royally pissed off Headmistress.”

Showtime

The tall judge with the hooked nose, rapped his gavel uselessly on the bench. The pitiful tapping did little to quieten the cacophony of the courtroom. The counsel for both sides were all but coming to blows, egged on by the roars for justice from the audience that filled the air. Dapperwulf cringed slightly as a shoe went flying past his head to hit the wall with a thunk. Scanning the crowd for the assailant, he glanced up at the bailiff, pursing his lips in disgust when he saw the man shift his feet in boredom, purposefully not caring the least for his charge’s safety. The guard who’d been giving testimony stepped down, spitting in the professor’s general direction and with a glare, took his place back amongst the people where he was given several claps on the back for his bravery.

Sue_01 was being jostled between the excited onlookers. It didn’t matter to them whether there was order or justice. They just wanted a show. Sue saw Mister Perry begin to make his way to the stand, his testimony most likely to be the final nail in the professor’s coffin… unless the others who had been charged with attempting to reveal the truth of his ailment to him had succeeded. If the houses had been successful, each completing their task, and they could trace back the potion to the creator, maybe giving Perry the real identity of his attacker would be enough to turn him to the professor’s side.

At the front of the audience, a stalwart ring of Wampus, supported by the others surrounded Saeraphine. The Headmistress sat calmly, her face impassive, hands clasped together to rest lightly on her dark blue silk-covered lap. Aprilsshowers81 had been the only one to notice the slight tightening in her lips when they had brought the professor out, dirty, unshaven, his once fine clothing in rags and sporting a litany of fresh bruises across his pale skin. The sharp eyes of the Ilvermorny group scanned the crowd for potential troublemakers, letting the ones closer to the front pay attention to the farce of a trial in front of them as it unfolded. So far the Wampus Head of House had been accused of being demon-touched on the basis of the ergot-induced visions, the color of his eyes, his choice of clothing (because red and black were evil colors declared one woman who smelled strongly of garlic - which saw several individuals in the crowd to attempt to slip out before it was noticed that they too were wearing those colors) and because he had all of his teeth! Aprilsshowers glanced at the Headmistress beside her, certain she could hear the woman’s teeth grinding over the chaos.

A loud slam caused everyone to silence. The head judge, a small man of some eighty years, with a face that reminded Lemurcat12 of a pukwudgie, stood, still holding his gavel. “Now that I have everyone’s attention, perhaps you would all be quite so kind as to sit down….AND SHUT UP. The next outburst like that, and I will have the audience removed from these chambers, is that understood?” It was not truly a question, and painfully obvious he expected no answer. “Now then, Mr. Benjamin Perry. If you please sir, be seated. Tell us, what happened the night of your….affliction?”

Perry wrung his hands nervously, eyeing the crowd and sparing a glance for the professor as well. He swallowed, then took some deep breaths as he was sworn in. The judge indicated for him to begin, and Perry’s hands gripped the rail. “Two nights ago...,” he began, his voice hoarse. He coughed, clearing his throat and beginning again, stronger, determined. “Two nights ago, I suffered an affliction I have never encountered before. I began to see dark images swimming around me, and my body convulsed in pain, rendering me unable to move or identify those come to help, some I’ve known for years.”

The crowd sat in silence, waiting in a hush for him to continue. At the back of the room, Shinton, Zumbaforever and Crowleyed, who had earlier visited Perry’s residence slipped in. Perry saw them and pursed his lips. “I have since come to know that I was cursed most foully.”

A few in the crowd gasped, and the murmurs started. The judge, not wanting to lose control of the room again, called out, “Quiet please.” Addressing Perry, the judge prodded, “And whom was it that afflicted you with this curse, Mr. Perry?”

Perry’s old eyes turned towards the professor, sad. “I can tell all here, with the utmost certainty, that that man…” Perry’s hand lifted from the rail, a finger lifted to point at Dapperwulf. In the pause, Dapperwulf looked back at him, empty, face schooled to a complete disinterest. He couldn’t blame the man for believing Gaunt’s deception. The Wampus shifted slightly, hands itching towards their wands at the impending accusation. But the Headmistress continued to sit unmoving, eyes keenly observing.

“That man…” Perry’s voice wrung out, loud and strong, looking towards those assembled, “is innocent.”

Dapperwulf’s mouth opened slightly in surprise as the room broke out into chaos at Perry’s pronouncement. The gavel began hammering immediately, calling for order, and the three who had visited Perry smiled to each other in the back, glad they had been able to convince him.

The old guard’s voice rang out over the din, continuing on, forcing those who would hear what he had to say to quiet. “This man, his whole time in captivity, never once displayed any signs of wicked abilities. And I’m sure my fellow guards, when they search their memory without the twist of opinion will agree to the same. For weeks, he has suffered in that jail. If he had the power to curse me so thoroughly, why wouldn’t he have used it earlier to free himself? Why not stop the questioners from completing their painful interrogations?”

Perry looked at the judge. “You asked who cursed me. Well, I know. The guards and I who all suffered the same curse, we all had something in common just moments before we began suffering, and it wasn’t that man, Dapperwulf.” He addressed the other guards now, shifting uncomfortably, suddenly unsure. “Those of us that fell victim to the curse all shared a present received to the jail. A basket of freshly baked bread. Those who were afflicted ate it, correct? I did, and as soon as I had swallowed my third bite, it started.”

“He’s right...” “Yeah, I remember…” “There was an odd flavor…” the guards began to whisper to themselves, eyes going wide.

“That basket was full of tainted bread, I tell ya. And it was hand delivered to our jail. Hand delivered... by Master Gutan.”

The judge spoke slowly. “Think carefully of what you say next. Are you accusing Master Gutan, a prominent member of this city, of cursing you?”

Perry took a deep breath and looked squarely at the judge. “I am. I accuse Maste--”

But Perry couldn’t finish the sentence, his hands suddenly clawing at his throat as he gasped, eyes going wide as something unseen choked him.

In Style

The judge roared to be heard over the chaos that erupted as Perry fell from the stand. DixieHealthy2015 and t_meadows08 rushed forward to help the stricken man, loosening his collar and keeping him from clawing his throat. DixieHealthy looked up at the judge, who sensing her question, hissed “Get him out of here, to the physician, hurry!” Without wasting a moment, they each took hold of the guard and carried him from the courtroom as pandemonium broke out.

Coop925 and hiitin_it_daily saw the Headmistress give a brief nod. Before anyone could stop them, the two men had vaulted the railing and snatched up Professor Dapperwulf, hustling him out the side door as the bailiffs struggled with the crowd. The rest of the students turned as one and began to force their way from the building.

“Clothing’s looking a bit worse for wear there, Prof.” grinned Coop as the three hurried their way down the back hallways.

Dapperwulf smirked back, holding up his manacled wrists. “What do you mean? I was assured this was the latest fashion in the salons of Paris.”

“Paris maybe, but not here.” Hiitin paused the group, catching the smaller man’s shoulder to turn him around. A quick spell and the manacles from Dapperwulf’s wrists and ankles fell to the floor with a loud clank. “Rosetigger and shinton1618 have the horses waiting on us on the edge of town. We need to move. The others will meet us there.”

“Horses?”

“Yeah,” Coop cracked open the outside door and peered around. “Couldn’t bring brooms so close to town. Would have been suspicious. They’re hidden a bit outside of town.”

Hurry!

As soon as they were out of sight, DixieHealthy and t_meadows dropped Perry to the floor, leaning him against the wall. T_meadows rummaged quickly through her satchel, pulling out a small hairy mass. “I know this going to sound crazy, Master Perry, but You’ve got to eat this.” she apologized, getting ready to try and force it down the man’s throat.

He startled them both by grabbing it from her and swallowing it quickly. The two women watched him anxiously for a moment before his body relaxed and he lifted his head and gave a weak smile, breathing normally. “Crazy, aye, but life hasn’t made sense to me for a while now. Besides, even we - what was it? ‘No-Magic folk’? - have heard of bezoars.” he chuckled.

“You’re alright then?” DixieHealthy asked, relieved when the old man nodded and made to get up off the ground. “Good. We need to hurry and get out of here then. We’re meeting the others just outside of town.”

Perry nodded again and patted her shoulder. “You’ll need to hurry then, before that mob in there spills into the streets.”

T_meadows paused. “But...you have to come with us. Gaunt’s tried to kill you! You’re not safe here!”

Perry shook his head sternly. “No. I’ve outed her. If I run now, they’ll call me liar and she’ll have won. Then you folk will still be hunted. I’ll stay and see it through.” He winked. “Just come visit an old man when things die down a bit, yeah?”

T_meadows threw her arms around him. “You know we will!” Perry gave her a quick hug and shooed them both off.

Foul Demon

Gaunt took the tea offered to her by the maid, the girl’s hands trembling as the swollen, gnarled fingers curled around the delicate china like a dragon’s claw. Taking a delicate sip, she sighed and relaxed, watching the fire in the fireplace crackle and burn. “By this afternoon, Marianne, we’ll warm our hands by a larger fire. Watching that foul wizard burn will warm our very hearts.”

Gaunt laughed, a vile, wet sound that made the young woman cringe as she replied, “Yes, Master Gutan. As you say.”

The door to the study slammed open and Henry rushed in, followed closely by Ivan. Gaunt growled, sitting up straighter in her chair. “What’s the meaning of this?”

“That foul demon spawn and his brats! They’re escaping!” Ivan raged, spittle flying from his lips.

“What!!??” shrieked Gaunt, the teacup falling to shatter on the wooden floor. Marianne covered her ears and backed into a corner.

Henry wrung his hat between his hands. “It’s chaos, Master Gutan. The guard Perry. He said that the prisoner was innocent and that….”

Gaunt rose slowly from her chair and advanced towards the poor man. “What? What else did he say?” She asked, her voice calm and deadly.

Henry swallowed. “He said you were the one that delivered the bread. That you were the one that poisoned them.”

Gaunt stared at him, the only sound was her teeth grinding against one another. “Did you not give him the tea before his testimony….to calm his nerves?”

Henry nodded frantically. “Aye, Master Gutan! Just as you instructed. But he suffered some horrible fit and …” Henry’s eyes grew wide.

Gaunt saw the comprehension dawn on his face, that the tea was to be another “curse” put upon the old guard, supposedly at Dapperwulf’s hand as he was accused. “Pity. You were useful.” She sneered and raise a thin stick of wood towards him. A flurry of movement caught her eye through the window. Head whipping around like a viper, she saw zumbaforever and Forest91 tear by the house down a side alley. “They’re making a run for it.” She whirled around and grabbed Ivan by the shoulder, shoving him towards the door. “What are you waiting for?! Gather all of your men and catch them!!”

He grinned his broken-toothed smile. “Right. And bring them back for trial?”

No, you idiot!” She screamed. “Kill them!!

Company

The horses pounded down the road at a gallop, necks outstretched and tails streaming. GrandmaJackie glanced quickly behind her. “Headmistress! We’ve got company! And they’re gaining fast!” At her shout, several others looked over their shoulders, spying the rising cloud of dust as a large contingent of hunters bore down on them.

The313 pulled her horse up alongside Etherlily1. “How much further to the brooms? Once we get into the air, we can lose them quicker.”

Etherlily nodded. “Another two miles, near the river.” She turned in the saddle to gauge the advancement of their pursuers. “At this rate though, I’m not sure we’re going to make it in time. We’re used to brooms, not horses. Most of our group can’t ride as fast.”

Arielluma surged her horse up to the front of the pack, where Saeraphine and Dapperwulf rode. “I’ll slow them down. You get the rest of them to the brooms and back to the school.”

Dapperwulf shook his head. “I’ll stay with you. They..”

“By Hecate’s moon, you most certainly will not!” The Headmistress dismissed incredulously, turning back to the Thunderbird Head. “Slow them. Quickly and then follow. Do not stay to fight. I have no interest in having to mount another rescue.”

Ariel….” Dapperwulf began, but she waved him off with a wink.

“Glad to have you back, Pup.” She wheeled her horse to the side, letting the group rush past. As soon as the last student and ridden by, she gave an ornate swirl of her wand and a cry of “Oblito dimisit venti!

A small hurricane ripped through the trees, casting up dirt, dust, leaves and anything else in it’s path, sending a wall of blinding debris towards the hunters. The professor stayed just long enough to see the group pause, horses rearing and trying to escape the whirling cloud, before turning to follow her party.

A few moments later, she caught up and the fleeing Ilvermornians rounded the bend at the river’s edge where a pile of broomsticks laid hidden in the trees just off the trail. “Quickly now!” Saeraphine snapped. “Don’t worry about the horses. Herr Hoffman will send his boy out to fetch them. Get into the air, high and fast, and head to the school.” Hoofbeats could be heard getting closer. “Go! Now!

• Saeraphine
    Chapter 6 by Dapperwulf and Saeraphine

Trash Panda

Arielluma flung herself off the back of her mount before the mare had come to a full stop. Kclaar11 threw her a broom, even as she herself threw a leg over her own and kicked off into the air. The professor caught it and whirled around, a crackling blue bolt streaking from the end of her wand to barely miss the first of their pursuers as he rounded the corner, throwing up dirt and rocks when it exploded on the ground beside him. His horse reared, momentarily blocking the others behind him and giving her enough time to launch herself into the air as well.

Ivan muscled his horse around the bend and past the spooked horse to snarl as he watched her retreating back. Steadying his own dancing mount, he pulled a hefty doglock pistol from a bandolier across his chest and took aim.

“We made it!” Junodog1 cheered, the wind whipping through her braid.

“Keep flying!” admonished Rosetigger. “Don’t count us as safe until..” A thunderous noise sounded from below them and the end of Rosetigger’s broom exploded in a mass of splinters.

“They’re shooting at us!” screamed Junodog, catching her housemate’s hand and pulling her onto the back of her own broom.

“Everyone! Climb higher! And faster!” yelled Dapperwulf, pulling his broomstick up to arch higher into the air. The others mimicked him, climbing towards the clouds.

Beside him, Saeraphine pulled her wand and quickly cast her Patronus. A large silvery raccoon waddled out the end of her wand and plopped down on the end of her broomstick. It looked around for a moment, before glancing down. As if realizing exactly how high in the air they were, the spell-creature fluffed up to twice its normal size and gripped the wood with all four paws.

The Headmistress frowned at it and leaned in to whisper an urgent message to Rbratt. The racoon stared at her. “Go.” She urged.

It looked down and back up at her. And shook its head.

“NO?! What do you mean, no?” Groaning, she reached in her pocket and pulled out a cinnamon biscuit and handed it over. Stretching out one paw, the creature grabbed it from her and stuffed it in its mouth, chewing rapidly with crumbs flying back to land on the Headmistress’s bodice. She glared at it. “Now. Go.” The raccoon cocked it’s head to one side and held out its hand for another biscuit.

“Stupid spell,” she growled and shook the broom, causing the creature to slip off and frantically cling to the end with two paws. “You won't fall. Now go!” Giving it another good shake, she jarred it loose and the raccoon fell off… to float along beside her. It looked down at its paws and back up to grin cheekily at her before streaking off towards the castle, leaving the group behind.

Beneath them, the party of hunters poured into the small clearing, pausing only for a moment before continuing the chase at a full gallop. Cpanus spared a glance down at them and gasped. With wide eyes, she looked up at Slinky_Braveheart. “Did you see how many there are?”

Slinky_Braveheart gulped and nodded. “At least a hundred.”

The Best Offense...

“Now, if you’ll notice, the spines of the pufferfish are not finely chopped, then there remains…” Rbratt paused in her speaking. The first years in her potions class looked up at their professor to see her staring behind them. Slowly turning as one, they all suddenly became aware of the large raccoon waddling down the middle aisle of the potions classroom. The silvery-blue creature sat down in front of her and opened its mouth. The Headmistress’s voice came out, quick and terse.

“It was Gaunt. Get ready.” Its message delivered, the spell-creature dissipated with a friendly wave.

Rbratt threw down her potions notes and began to stride from the classroom, making a stabbing motion and speaking a spell that caused all the flames of the castle to burn an alarming red. Pointing her wand at her throat as she went, her voice filled the halls, common rooms and grounds of Ilvermorny. “Everyone. To the Great Hall immediately.” Hastily, her students packed their satchels and ran after her.

Within moments, the Great Hall was filled with students and pukwudgies. Professor Rbratt stood atop the dias at the end of the Hall. Quickly she outlined the situation. “We need to ready the castle.”

Kiri127 raised her hand. “For what exactly Professor? I mean, the hunters can’t find their way here, can they?”

“Unless the others can get out of sight, yes. There is the very real possibility they can track them here. Unplottable spells haven’t been refined enough yet to hide a campus of this size, and Ivan particularly, knows we are somewhere in the vicinity of Williamstown.” She gazed around the room, her usually gentle expression hardened and fierce. “I will have no student put in danger, but make no mistake, Ivan has threatened bodily harm to students before. He’ll have no problem doing so again and neither will his men. If they make it here, Ilvermorny will fight back.”

A rush of whispers and fearful murmurs swept through the crowd. Grandpap grunted and stepped up to the professor. “We Puks will stand with you. Not gonna let a bunch of ruffians like that ogre Ivan mess up everything we’ve built here.” She smiled at him and began to outline preparations.

e... Is a Good Defense

Professor Rbratt’s instructions had been clear. Every advantage was to be prepared.

The wampi kittens, that were incidentally no longer actually kittens, were outfitted with the experimental armor the Wampus students had been forging under the careful eye of their active ghost Paulakro. “No, Ssilver1215, flip it to the right… yes, perfect!” Another kitten tried to shrug out of the armor, but Ssilver had adorned it well, and soon enough one of the other armored kittens pounced, causing all awkwardness to be forgotten as they froliched together.

With Urthbert’s guidance, magical pockets of energy were being dispatched into the earth around the castle grounds. Fearfully, Tmeadows08 looked over to Sue_01. “Tell me why this isn’t a horrible idea? Especially if we’re setting the wampi loose! How are they not going to trigger these… what are they? Explosions?”

Sue finished covering her latest completed pocket, disguising it as a simple mound of raised dirt. “Mines. They’re called mines.” She patted Tmeadows’ shoulder. “It’s simple, look--” Sue jumped and landed squarely on top of the mine she’d just planted. Tmeadows, ducked her head, covering it with her hands as she turned away with a strangled scream. “No, no!” Sue assured her. “It’s fine. Look, nothing happened.”

Tmeadows peeked out from behind her shielding arms. “Is it delayed?” she asked, taking a few steps back, ready to bolt.

“No, nothing like that. See, it has to be triggered. It’s inert right now. Harmless. You have to actually cast the trigger spell at it. Nothing will happen until you do. But when you do…” Sue pointed her wand at a mound about 40 feet away. “Praemium!” Immediately, the ground around it exploded, leaving a ten foot crater about four feet deep. Tmeadows and Sue coughed as specks of dirt rained down on them. “Uh,” Sue started, looking sheepish as her friend was dusting off her robe. “Sorry about that. Didn’t realize it’d be so… uh… dirty?”

Tmeadows shook her head with a small laugh, more at ease despite the powerful display. “A little dirt never hurt anyone. But those most definitely will if it comes to that. Come on, let’s finish these up.”

As the ground defenses were being armed, CaptainBoing was assisting with the aerial defenses. On broom, she hovered up near Dante and Touchstone’s faces, screeching and rumbling. Shinton1618 watched, wonder in her eyes. “Is she really communicating with them?” she whispered to GrandmaJackie next to her.

“Yep. She’s not up to full sentences yet, and she says some sounds can’t be replicated by human vocal chords, but she’s able to communicate general ideas. Dory said she’s trying to get their permission to act as battle mounts.” Jackie said, shielding her eyes from the bright spring sun as she tried to gauge the dragons’ receptiveness.

“Wait… battle mounts? Like… like someone is going to _ride_ them??” Shinton asked, tearing her gaze away to look at Jackie incredulously.

Jackie smirked. “You got it!”

Shinton looked back to see Dory had concluded her appeal. Touchstone, the Horned Serpent dragon, stretched his neck out, head level with the suspended student, turning his head to fix one massive eye on Dory. The eye studied her for a moment before it moved to focus on Dante as he flared his nostrils. Quiet rumbles were exchanged between the elder dragons, with Dante at one point motioning his head towards Puck and Magellan’s paddocks and seemingly laughing. Touchstone’s eye rolled back to Dory, and blinked catlike once, long, while emitting a low rumble that ended in a short trill.

Dory’s fist shot into the air as she let out a whoop. Then, scared of being rude, for dragons are as finicky as hippogriffs when it comes to respect, she quickly bowed, slightly awkward when done from a broom, giving a trill of her own. Descending near Shinton and Jackie, she exclaimed triumphantly, “They’re in! Something about this being their home too. Oh, thank goodness that went well. Now where are those saddles…”

Shinton1618 smiled, shaking her head in wonder. “These guys with the Thunderbirds are going to be a sight to see.”

Jackie looked sharply over at Shinton. “Thunderbirds? Your housemates?”

Shinton grinned mischievously at Jackie.

Magic Tricks

It had taken days, and the ‘procuring’ of fresh horses from terrified citizens, but Ivan and his men had followed the group of Ilvermornians with frightening persistence. Nearing the crest of the mountain, Ivan reined his mount, signaling for the others to stop. Pulling the beast around with a sharp yank, he narrowed his eyes at the group. Battle-hardened from several different ports, many of them former criminals themselves, they leered back, ready to unleash themselves upon the school. “Remember,” growled Ivan. “No survivors. And don’t underestimate them. Their magic is real enough.” The men growled a response, following at a more measured pace as Ivan lead the way through the old growth oaks to a large clearing.

Ilvermorny, School of Witchcraft and Wizardry lay spread out before them, glistening in the afternoon sun. A soft breeze made pennants in various colors blow gently, unfurling and dancing on their pikes. The fountain in the center of the courtyard burbled happily, water leaping into the air to sparkle like diamonds in the sun’s rays. It was a quiet, peaceful scene.

Too quiet. Ivan’s eyes ran over the building and grounds, searching for traps, a hint of movement, anything. One of the other men moved up beside him, a grizzled thief with one yellowed eye he’d picked up in Boston. “No bird song, Captain.” the man muttered. “They’re ready for us.”

Ivan nodded, still searching.

“Yer taking the piss, Murphy.” guffawed another. “Like Ivan said, it just be a bunch of students! Prissy little things learning magic tricks! I’d bet me weight in gold they’re inside that castle huddled in fright!”

“After you then, Marcus.” Murphy motioned for the man to precede him, his voice quiet. Marcus snorted and moved his mount forward in a trot. He made it fully into the clearing, before turning back to sneer at them.

The ground erupted underneath his horse in a explosion of dirt and debris, throwing horse and rider some forty feet in the air. At that moment, Ilvermorny attacked.

Pukwudgies began to swing down from the trees behind the group, arrows flying, herding them into the clearing proper. The ground exploded, spells triggered by students watching from the safety of the castle. Ivan rallied his men to him, charging the castle in a loose group to outdistance the spiny ‘devils’ and get away from the ground towards the castle.

High upon the battlements, rose the students of Pukwudgie, wands and arrows trained on the oncomers. As Ivan’s men neared the building, a dark cloud of arrows filled the sky, bursting into crackling blue flames as they struck the ground in a perfect line, bringing the men to a halt.

Twin roars came from either side, as two groups of armored Wampus came charging around the castle, each mounted by a fully armed witch or wizard with grim looks peering from their helmets. The Wampus surrounded the men, but did not attack.

The scent and growls of the Wampus and the blue flames terrified the horses, making them dance and scream, their riders struggling to stay astride. Jerking his stallion’s head down and turning it in a tight circle, Ivan cursed those mounted on the great cats.”What’s the matter then, you devils?! To scared to engage us? Come on and finish it!!”

“Wampus! Hold steady!” growled Dapperwulf, mimicking his students in gripping his wand tighter. Above them, the Pukwudgies nocked new arrows and readied themselves for another volley.

From behind the school, came an unearthly roar and the sound of leathery wings. Four dragons climbed the skies from behind the school, wings outstretched to fill the sky. Behind them, with screams of a thousand eagles, rose a phalanx of Thunderbirds, each mounted by a student. Heavy black storm clouds rolled in from over the mountains, lightning streaking across it to illuminate the aerial assault. With each flap of the birds’ wings, thunder shook the ground. The largest of the dragons swooped down and landed on the roof of the castle and roared, flames bursting forth from his great fanged mouth. Golden eyes fixated on Ivan, he began to crawl down the building towards the men.

Slowly, Touchstone lowered his massive head and the figure of a woman, slid from his neck and with a pat to her friend, strode towards them. Stopping at the edge of the flames, Saeraphine raised her chin and took them all in her steady gaze, stopping on Ivan. “Shall we finish it then?” she asked quietly. “I assure you, it will be….quick.”

“No!” screamed one of the men.

Ivan glanced to see who had answered before turning back to the Headmistress. “You think, after all I’ve seen, this little display is going to scare me?” he growled.

A small smile graced her lips. “You? Perhaps not, whatever self-preservation is given to the human race seems to have been missing when you were spawned. Your men, however, appear to value their lives a bit more.” She tilted her head to glance unconcernedly at the army at her back. “As for this, ‘little display’, this is solely for you, Ivan. Not your men. They are easily dispatched.”

Etherlily screwed her nose up as one of the hunters near her emptied his bowels at the Headmistress’s words.

On cue, all wands were aimed at the hunters and in one voice, the Ilvermornians cast obilivate. Ivan ducked his head at the flash of light. Blinking and looking back up, he saw his men slumped over their saddles, unconscious. The Thunderbirds swooped down and each plucked a man from his saddle and carried him off across the mountains. Saeraphine smiled and laughed at the expression on Ivan’s face. “Poor man. Did you really think I was going to let you destroy my school and my students with a mere group of thugs like that? No. The Thunderbirds will drop them off in various parts of the country with no memory of who they are, where they came from or how they got there. A merciful fresh start for some and more than they deserve. But as for you….”

She took a step forward, the flames lowering. Touchstone growled and followed her, the ground shaking with his steps. “I want you to remember everything. Go back and tell Gaunt how easily her minions were rousted. Tell her to go far from here and do not ever bother us again.” She turned and placed her hand on the great dragon’s nose.

Ivan laughed, a bit shrill. “Fine. We won’t be back.” He leered down at her. “But yer precious little students won’t be staying at this school forever, Headmistress. And when they do venture out into the world, me and mine will be there, waiting.”

Her smile didn’t reach her eyes. “I was hoping you would say something like that. Ilvermorny protects its own, Ivan. No matter where they may tread in this land.” Her wand whipped towards him. “Omnes nocere rediit.” A soft green glow surrounded Ivan before sinking into his skin.

He looked at her and grinned. “Was that supposed to hurt?”

“No.” she smiled, climbing back aboard Touchstone. “It simply ensures that if you do harm to any living thing, the pain you bring will be visited back on you tenfold. Now run along, little man. I have finals to grade.” With that, Touchstone leapt into the air.

Ivan watched her go, before a cough beside him caught his attention. Dapperwulf sat relaxed in his saddle. Ivan barely saw the wand flick. “Permanens,” he whispered. “Ivan? Have fun walking through the woods. Not even Gaunt can remove that now.” With a motion of his hand, the Wampus broke their circle and headed back to the castle.

Ivan rolled his eyes and sneered. Fine, if he'd get hurt from hurting others, he'd just get his underlings to do the grunt work. Turning away, he started back down the mountain. And screamed in agony.

Dropping to his knees, a fresh bout of pain running through him. He winced up, looking at the nearest witch. "But..." he wheezed, "I didn't even touch anyone!"

Arielluma crouched down in front of him and tsked. "You would make such a poor student, can't even process a simple explanation. 'All living things', silly man." She stood back up and smirking, patted his shoulder, quite roughly, causing Ivan to have put his hand out to catch himself from falling to the ground, his new cries seeming to be for the blades of grass crushing under his hand.

Kisame nudged her cat up beside Calli1616. “The headmistress was kidding right? We don’t really still have finals, do we?”

• Saeraphine
    edited July 2017
    On to Term 4!