Special Event: The Yule Ball (Between Term 1 and Term 2)

Saeraphine
Saeraphine Posts: 2,793 Member
edited October 2017 in Social Groups
Special Event: The Yule Ball
by Dapperwulf

“Winter Wonderland”

“This….is…torture!” panted Ejwilliams88 as she struggled thigh-deep through the heavy layer of snow that covered the forest floor. “Remind me again why we’re doing this? We’re supposed to be on break for the holidays!”

“You received the invitation as well. All students, and their families, were invited back to the school for a holiday gathering,” huffed Jessiferrrb alongside her. “I don’t think the professors knew that the snow was going to be this heavy though…”

The two of them paused as the sound of high-pitched squealing reached their ears. Seconds later, My_Butt bounded by them, jumping from snow-covered bank to log to boulder, seemingly unhampered by the crushing weight of the fallen precipitation. “Well, someone’s happy to be back!” smiled Ejwilliams88, gripping her cloak closer.

“Definitely! And look at all this snow!” My_Butt laughed, perching on a low-hanging limb. “And what are you two doing trudging through it like a couple of no-maj pack-mules?”

Jessiferrrb frowned up at her. “Well, we can’t exactly use brooms, now can we? Someone might see us since it’s broad daylight. How are you bouncing on top of it like some arctic bunny-rabbit?”

My_Butt laughed. “I spent some time with Chipidies before heading this way. She’d developed it for traveling up here. It’s a modified leviosa charm that you place on your boots! Here, climb up on this rock and I’ll show you.” Helping one another clamber onto the small boulder, they stood as My_Butt bounced the tip of her wand like a hopping bunny and murmured “Mobilius Liberius.” Tucking her wand back up her sleeve, she nodded at them. “Go on, give it a try.”

Ejwilliams88 hopped on top of the rock and landed on top of the thin ice crust, sinking down ever-so-slightly. She took a step, then another, then laughing, took a leap and landed, still on top of the crust. “This is fantastic!!” she yelled. “We’ll make it to Williamstown in no time now!”

Filling the crisp winter air with laughter, the three friends ran off through the forest towards Williamstown.

“Shopping!! (and carols and friends and OMG, is that gingerbread I smell?!)”

Williamstown looked as though it had been decorated by a mad baker with coarse crystal sugar and pillows of fluffy white icing. The quaint village nestled in the middle of the mountain forest was completely blanketed with snow. Long crystalline daggers of icicles hung from the edges of the thatched roofs as thick, grey smoke curled up from the chimneys, carrying the scents of holiday baking and roasting to the students noses. Shouts of laughter could be heard from the Star’s Rest Inn, and the three friends could see several of their schoolmates gathered around, Violet bustling them in out of the cold and pressing large mugs of something steaming into chilled hands.

Once inside, a wave of heat from the roaring fire washed over them. cpanus helped jessiferrrb unbundle as she sniffed the air. “Is that..? Is that gingerbread I smell?”

Westpancake laughed from where she sat next to Coop925, his arm around her shoulders and both of them with large mugs of mulled wine in their hands. “It is! And chestnuts too!” The inn was packed with students and their families warming themselves by the fire and greeting friends, introducing them to loved ones.

Before jessiferrrb could finish removing her cloak, Kisame29 ran up and grabbed their arms. “Don’t get cozy yet! We have shopping to do!”

“What?!” My_Butt moaned. “But..but…gingerbread!!”

“Later!” she laughed. “Come on! We’re going to do a secret gift exchange. And we have shopping to do!”

“Feasting in Williamstown”

Several hours (and merchants) later, most of the students had returned to the Inn. An enormous snowball fight had broken out in front, with two massive snow forts having been built at either end of the street. William himself was leading the charge from one fort, hurling snowballs with abandon at the students and townsfolk at the other. _Bunnytown stuck her head up just in time to be smacked full in the face by a large, wet snowball.

Grasshopper33 doubled over in laughter at his well-aimed missile hit its target. She sputtered and rose back up, wand at the ready, a quick spell causing most of the snow on the front porch roof to come tumbling off, burying the occupants of the opposing fort. Shouts of foul play and screams of snow in ‘places it had no business being’ filled the air - though slightly muffled. The spectators that had gathered on the front porch to watch laughed.

Violet watched with much amusement, and when one of the younger boys came to her crying about a meanie pelting him with a snowball right in the face, she wiped away his tears and produced a small bit of chocolate to console him with a hug. Looking around at the worn out faces around her, she chuckled. “If you children are done playing, then supper is ready for you.”
The victors good-naturedly helped the others scramble out from their demolished fort.

Once inside, the smells of wonderful, simple home-cooked meals wrapped around them like thick warm blankets of deliciousness. Large roasted turkeys, haunches of beef - dripping in gravy, hams studded with spices, freshwater trout, enough vegetables to feed an army and pastries piled high in golden baked mountains covered the trencher tables in the common room of the inn.
Yumesoraki, still shaking snow out of her robes, froze at the sight of all the food. “Are those...sweet potatoes?”

Violet brushed snow off her shoulder as she walked in behind her. “Yes dearie, Professor Dapperwulf had made mention of how much you just loved sweet potatoes and would I please be sure to make some for you.” She chuckled affectionately. “I’m sure as his apprentice in wand making, you must get spoiled something awful, hmm? Now, make sure to get plenty. I did make them special with you in mind...”

“Sleigh Rides to Ilvermorny”

The next morning, as the students and their loved ones finished off the hearty breakfast placed before them, the sound of sleigh bells could be heard coming closer. One of the children ran from the table to stand tiptoe at the window. “Mummy!” she cried, “There’s sleighs! Oh look, and they’re all being pulled by huge black horses!”

Her older brother stepped up behind her and gasped in astonishment. “Not horses! They’re unicorns! Black unicorns!”

Everyone rushed out as the herd of sleighs pulled to a stop in front of the inn. Massive sable unicorns, their coats gleaming in the morning sun, stood prancing in bright red leather traces, hitched to shiny red sleighs with gold chasings. Fur blankets were piled inside each sleigh to keep the occupants warm on the ride to the castle.

“There’s no one driving them,” observed a distinguished looking, older gentleman, obviously the Muggle father of one of the students. William clapped him on the shoulder.

“Right. Might want to get used to that. You’re going to be seeing a lot of such things once you get to Ilvermorny.” He laughed. “Alright everyone, go grab your things and load up.”

The ride was fast through the forest, the unicorns seeming to know exactly where they were going and where each snow-covered rock and log lay, swerving around them with ease. At one point, they lept onto the river - now frozen with a thick, solid sheet of ice on top of it. The sleighs’ runners cut twin grooves into the ice and the unicorns seemed to play for just a few moments, twisting and turning, swinging wide from one another and then coming close again.

“Look!” cried Zumbaforever. “They’re making a pattern in the ice!” The others turned their heads back to look. There in the ice was a spectacular gordian knot - a perfect copy of the one on the Guardians platform at the school. Shaking their manes as though pleased their handiwork had been noticed and appreciated, the unicorns took off yet again, this time climbing the steep hills and at last coming through the opening in the forest, to Ilvermorny.

The castle stood in the middle of a large open clearing in the snow-covered forest, looking like an ice palace from a fairytale. The pale stone of the walls shone in the sun, glittering with icicles, while the hard edges of the battlements were softened with the curved lines of the snow that lay piled on top. Thick garlands of ivy, evergreen and berries festooned the massive oaken doors of the main entrance.

Opening the doors to reveal the warm light from within, Professor Rbratt gracefully emerged, followed by several pukwudgies that hurriedly rushed forward to unhitch the unicorns from their traces. As the leather straps fell away, one by one, they each cantered off into the forest, save the last one. A large stallion, he pranced forward to the professor, and lowering his large head, bumped her arm, whickering softly. She smiled, and revealed the small apple in her hand, which he took gently. She ran a hand over the soft nose and spoke to him quietly. He seemed to snort in agreement before whirling away to join the others in the trees.

Smiling as the pukwudgies unloaded the sleighs, she stepped up and held her arms out, gesturing to the group. “Welcome back! And to the family and friends of our students, welcome to the Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!”

“The Yule Ball”

In the Horned Serpent Dorms...

“But it was right here! I know it was! I showed it to Talhonjik this morning when we were unpacking!” cried Riverpond25, almost in tears. “Now what am I going to do?” Her dorm mates made soothing noises as they helped look under beds and wardrobes.

A soft knock on the door interrupted their search. Riverpond25 opened it with a sniffle to show Headmistress Saeraphine standing there in a soft, purple velvet dressing robe. “My apologies to intrude, but one of the pukwudgies passing by thought they heard something was amiss. Is everything alright?”

Talhonjik stepped up beside her friend, putting an arm around her shoulders. “River’s silver hair comb is missing. It matched her dress for the ball this evening and we can’t find it anywhere. We’ve tried ‘accio-ing’ and everything, but it hasn’t returned.”

Saeraphine’s brow furrowed slightly in thought. “My apologies, Riverpond, I’ll most certainly help you look for it later and let the pukwudgies know that it’s missing. However, since the ball is rapidly approaching…” She stepped back to take in Riverpond’s gown, before seeming to come to a decision. Waving her wand, she waited a moment before snatching something out of the air as it sped to her. “Would you care to borrow one of mine?” She smiled and held out a silver filigree hair comb chased with opals.

In Thunderbird’s Tower….

“Um, Professor?”
“Mhmm…”
“Um, the Yule Ball is going to be starting soon? Like in a couple of hours?”
“Mmhmmm…”

Sue_01 looked vaguely frantic as Professor Arielluma stared resolutely back and forth from the books piled up on her desk and the map on the wall, a Quick Quotes quill making notes on a piece of parchment floating beside her. “Um, so don’t you think, maybe it’s about time...to you know...?”

Turning and looking thoroughly exasperated, Arielluma raised an eyebrow. “Please say what it is you’re trying to say so that I may finish this.”

MzHill08 stepped up, arms crossed. “She’s trying to get you to realize you have less than two hours to get ready for the ball and you have two quills stuck in your hair, there’s a smudge of ink on your cheek and are in your night robes still. Time to get spiffy Professor.”

“Oh. Right. Sorry.” She turned and wandered back towards her private chambers, the sounds of cursing floating back to their ears. “Where’s my *kitten* necklace?!”

In the Puckwudgie Common Room….

“Of course you can sweetheart.” Professor Rbratt smiled at the little boy, handing him a peppermint stick from the jar on the shelf. “But remember, your mum said to sit still and eat it, no running around, understand?” The child nodded happily and plopped down on a cushion that had fallen from one of the couches.

“Professor?” Stormflower wandered in with the last of the presents, placing them under the small tree near the hearth. “These are the last ones.” She laughed, pointing at a medium sized parcel, no larger than a suitcase, it’s lid lying askew. “Looks like someone was a little too impatient to open theirs.”

Rbratt laughed. “Indeed! Perhaps next term we should have patience lessons? But not now, we all need to be getting ready for the ball.”

Tahm42 stepped in from one of the dorms. “Professor, if you have a moment? I seemed to have misplaced my mother’s brooch and I could use some help?”

“Certainly.”

In the Wand Maester’s Chambers….

“Stand still!” Professor Dapperwulf sighed and rolled his eyes as Dame Van Moorten pinned the rip in the seam of his new doublet. He glanced over at CaptainBoing sitting on the chair, PaulKro floating behind her, their hands covering mouths to keep from laughing. “Keep it up you two,” admonished the Dame. “Dory, you’re next, young lady. All my years of sewing, I’ve made many a gown or suit for Yule, and certainly there have been last minute alterations, but never have I had to make repairs because a professor and his student couldn’t keep from practicing dueling!”

CaptainBoing piped up excitedly. “But I had been practicing and I finally figured out that new footwork and…”

“Dory…” Dapperwulf turned slightly and shook his head. “Not now...OW!”

Dame Van Moorten whacked him hard on the bum. “I said stand still.” she said primly as he stared at her open-mouthed. Dory and Ghostie fell over in fits of laughter as the seamstress reached for her silver needles. “Now where in Merlin’s name..? Where are my needles?”

Time for the Ball

Everyone, except the professors, had gathered before the doors of the Great Hall. At the stroke of eight, the carved oaken doors slowly began to swing open. Eyes widened in wonder and children squealed at the sight. The whole of the Hall had been transformed into a fantastical winter wonderland. The Hall appeared to be swathed in moonlight, gigantic icicles hung from the ceiling and arches. Enormous, fluffy snowflakes fell from the “sky” only to disappear seconds before landing on their heads. Tables held life-sized ice sculptures of fantastical creatures that pranced, flapped and slithered around the silver platters filled every type of food imaginable. Fountains of carved ice ran with drink that ran in jewel-toned rivers down to pools lined with crystal goblets. Three enormous Christmas trees stood at the end of the hall on the raised platform where the faculty table usually stood, powdered with snow and dripping with silver and gold ornaments. Enchanted crystal doves swooped around the evergreen boughs, ribbons of gold and silver clasped in their beaks. A peacock of the same charm strutted to one side, tail feathers spread wide.

Headmistress Saeraphine, resplendent in dark red satin gown studded with rubies, stood on the platform. Professor Rbratt stood to her left, the skirts of her olivine gown gathered in roses that spilled to the floor. Beside her, Professor Arielluma stood in crimson silk, the bodice trimmed in garnets. To the Headmistress’s right, stood Professor Dapperwulf, his emerald brocade doublet trimmed in silver, hands resting casually on the hilt of a gleaming rapier.

Saeraphine pointed her wand at her throat, casting a ‘sonorus’ charm. “Welcome everyone to the first-ever Ilvermorny Yule Ball. Hopefully, the first of many, many more to come. Now eat, drink and dance!” With that, music filled the air and the ghosts of the castle floated in, partnering up for a waltz amongst the snowflakes. Everyone spread out, taking in the decorations, taking up goblets and plates of food, and taking to the dance floor.

“But I sat it right here!” GrandmaJackie gestured at the empty spot where her silver plate had just sat. “Enough is enough!” She laid her napkin down, and strode to the dance floor, where Saeraphine promenaded down the line, catching Dapperwulf’s hand and twirling around before passing off to Wulfkat and then Coop925, followed closely by WestPancake and others. “Headmistress, a word if I may?”

Breathless, the headmistress stepped out of line. “Of
course you may.” Snagging a goblet and taking drink, she smiled. “What may I do for you Jackie?”

“Things have been disappearing all day. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but..”

“I have actually, several students and even the professors have reported missing..”

“Oh, Mummy! Look! What is that?!” Several small children gathered around one of the trees, pointing upward. The crowd looked upward, as a small, black furred paw reached out from the branches and snatched a small gold star ornament off. A small, fuzzy face poked out, bright eyes watching the crowd below.

“That’s a Niffler!” someone cried.

Professor Rbratt pressed a hand to her forehead in exasperation. “Well, I guess the cat, um, Niffler, is out of the bag.” Everyone looked to her for an explanation. “I received shipments yesterday of ...hehe, well, creatures. Beginning next term, we will begin a new Care of Magical Creatures course for our students!”

Replies