Term 0 - Ilvermorny: Origins (Founder's Term)

Options
Saeraphine
Saeraphine Posts: 2,793 Member
edited October 2017 in Social Groups
Ilvermorny: Origins

CHAPTER 1
by Saeraphine

“A New World”

The small group of magic folk made their way through the bustling docks, clutching their sparse belongings closely.

Dapperwulf had made sure to outfit them all appropriately, so that their party wouldn't attract the stares of the mundane folk. However, some of the things they carried couldn't help but draw some attention from passerby, like My_Butt's pet, Grayson, a slightly aggressive kneazle that was hissing from My_Butt’s shoulder at anyone that got too close to his witch. (Usually kneazle are only overly aggressive towards unsavory or suspicious characters, but after their long trip from Hogwarts on that huge wooden fish, he was a little stir crazy.)

“Why didn't you cast a Disillusionment Charm on Grayson?,” Jls1661 whispered to My_Butt with a hint of anxiety. “Then the muggles would just see a distorted space and go back to their business. They keep staring at him...”

“He was a good guard while we were on the ship. The crew knew to keep their distance,” My_Butt explained practically. “And anyway, we don't exactly have our wands anymore, do we?”

Yumesoraki kept walking but turned around to both of them and said secretively, “Ix-nay the talk of agic-may. We eed-nay to stay idden-hay from aunt-Gay, kay-oay?”

Forty6and2 let out a loud laugh at hearing this seemingly nonsensical talk from Yume about her “Aunt Gay”, startling the kneazle into a new hissing fit. Yumesoraki gave Forty6and2 an exasperated look, while Westpancake, seeing the confused faces of Jls1661 and My_Butt, stepped in to more eloquently explain Yumesoraki's comment. “We need to keep a low profile. Gaunt is looking for us, and I don't know if her influence reaches here, but she could have lookouts anywhere. No more wizard talk until we're in private.”

West and Yume were right, of course. In the past few weeks, everything had changed for the outcast Slytherins. There was a reason the group was traveling to this “New World” as muggles.

That reason was Gormlaith Gaunt.

“Maniac”

Gaunt was an elitist maniac. She’d found a strong supporter in Prince William of Orange, who was currently invading Great Britain in a bid to depose his uncle-in-law, King James VII. Although Prince William was a muggle, he was one of growing political power, and in exchange for Gaunt’s magical assistance in overcoming his more powerful and influential enemies (the most notorious success being when Gaunt cast a strong Imperius Curse on King James’s most able commander, Lord Churchill of Eyemouth, causing the lord to defect to Prince William’s side), the Prince had granted her substantial authority and resources to pursue her own causes.

Gaunt’s driving force was to rectify what she viewed as wizard-kind’s dangerous descent into tolerance. Just as Prince William was invading Great Britain to reverse the religious tolerance enacted by King James, Gaunt had plans to “invade” the Slytherin common room to help ensure Slytherin families aligned with the dark arts and kept the blood lines pure. Already, there were rumors of some Slytherin children intermingling with mudbloods. A few children belonging to the most liberal families taken as collateral should ensure the cooperation she needed to overtake Hogwarts and establish the pure-blooded school it should be.

Let in by a Slytherin student Gaunt had placed under the Imperius Curse a year ago, Gaunt had proceeded to the Slytherin Common Room. Prefects Yume and West, who had been hosting a study group with the students taking advanced classes, had demanded to know what this Gaunt character was doing in the castle and how she had snuck in. It was obvious that Gaunt had not been expecting to run into this group of students. However, in what she thought was a sign of Fate, Gaunt recognized the Slytherins she was planning to abduct among the group.

Stalling for time while she waited for her accomplices to rendezvous with her, (and also seizing the chance to brag), Gaunt laid out her vision for the future of all wizardry, imploring them to join her, telling the gathered students of how she had already bribed and ensorcelled her way into the Wizards Council, and next she had plans to overthrow Hogwarts and establish a pure-blood school to the Dark Arts. A few of the other Slytherin students began to file in from their dorms, drawn by the commotion and lingering around the edges of the room.

The Prefects told Gaunt that they and the Slytherins they knew would never become the monsters she wanted to help execute her plan.

Gaunt laughed, saying “Then maybe you don't know your fellow students as well as you think you do,” and began to pull out her wand. Yume, seeing Gaunt arming herself, began to pull out her own wand when suddenly she was disarmed by an expelliarmus spell from the side. Shocked, Yume looked to see that the students - which she originally thought were drawn by the commotion - had actually arrived to encircle the Prefects and their group, wands pointed menacingly. These were the accomplices Gaunt had been waiting for. It was only a handful of students, but it was enough to trap the unprepared Slytherins in the center of the room.

“Take their wands and destroy them,” Gaunt barked.

“How dare you!” shouted Arielluma, moving to raise her wand at the closest Slytherin lackey. But before she could cast anything, Arielluma dropped to the ground writhing in pain with labored screams escaping her lips. Gaunt had cast the Cruciatus Curse on her.

Lilsweetypie1992, Arielluma's older sister, rushed to her side. “Stop it! You're torturing her! Let her go!,” she desperately demanded.

Gaunt looked to the Prefects, and arched an eyebrow. “What will it be?,” she asked smugly, her quiet question clearly heard despite Arielluma's screams.

West looked into Gaunt's face with a stony hatred and declared to the students, “Do what she says. Surrender your wands.”

“Good choice.” Gaunt sneered. She waited until West and Yume's wands were handed over. Then with a flick of her own, Arielluma's torment ceased, replaced instead by pained sobs.

“You know, I was very surprised to see any of you in here,” Gaunt mused, sauntering over to block the door with her looming figure. One of her lackeys gathered the wands and broke them one by one, causing sparks to illuminate the dungeon chamber. “The whole castle should be fast asleep by now, with the exception of the few true to our cause. So why is your group awake, hmm? Dinner not good enough for you?”

Wulfkat, piecing together her statement, looked at the table in front of him with a mostly eaten tray of food. “The house elves brought us sandwiches because we missed dinner studying,” he half-whispered to himself. His eyes focused on Gaunt, and in a state of disbelief announced, “You... you poisoned tonight's dinner with a sleeping draught. That's why the other students aren't coming out of their dorms to help us.”

Gaunt, looking pleased as the last wand was collected and broken, said, “Glad Slytherins are at least still smarter than Hufflepuffs.”

Suddenly, the bottom of one of the lackey's robes went up in flame. The room seemed to pause for a moment in puzzlement. The lackey, finally realizing she was in danger of being burnt, frantically began trying to put out the flames. Puff. Puff. Puff. For no discernable reason, the robes of three more lackeys caught fire. The traitors broke their ranks in panic, fearful of catching fire themselves.

“RUN!” Sammich_v2 shouted, having the presence of mind to take advantage of the distraction.

Gaunt pointed her wand directly at the Slytherin students trying to flee. “I didn't want to upset your families too much, but... CRU—” and though Gaunt was ready to start hurling Cruciatus curses, she didn't get the words out. Gaunt froze, her eyes rolling up as she collapsed backwards, unconscious.

A muffled voice rang out from under Gaunt's considerable girth. “GET. HER. OFF ME!!!

“Slander”

dpmovielogo.png

Yesterday evening at approximately sundown, a rogue group of Slytherin students attempted to overthrow Hogwarts. It was an unprecedented attack on the school, surprisingly from within, but luckily, a group of their fellows thwarted them before they had a chance to do much harm.

One of those brave students granted an interview with the Daily Prophet under the condition of anonymity. (The interview below has been edited for length.)

Interviewer: Thank you for agreeing to speak with us. We know you must be shaken up over last night’s events.

*She lifted her kerchief to her eyes to catch the tears now welling* Truly, it was terrifying. I’m just so glad my friends and I were around to stop them before anyone was seriously injured.

Interviewer: So this was a group of Slytherin students that led the attack?

*The hatred is evident in her voice.* If they even deserve to be called Slytherin.

Interviewer: What were they like?

They were always on their own in their own little group, trying to figure out ways to beat the other houses. They thought it was secret. They thought they were better than us, and just always so competitive. If there was an assignment that had extra credit, they were always going above and beyond to get the highest grade--

Interviewer: That sounds more like model students than people who would attack the school.

What? No, I meant they, they were cheaters. Yeah, they cheated on everything. Uh, tests, assignments, each other, even their calorie goals. Yeah, massive cheaters, just bad people. And liars. They were liars too. They lied about… um, well they lied too. I can’t think of a specific example right now. Oh! And they were such bullies! Always making you feel bad if you were busy or injured and couldn’t do something. They’d yell at you for no reason. And Westpancake took my lunch money once! (Author’s note: lunch at Hogwarts is free.)

Interviewer: Okay, bad people, got it. We’ve heard reports that the rest of the castle was fast asleep. What can you tell us about that?

They snuck in pretending to like the house elves in the kitchen and were all nice to those creatures. I’m surprised the elves didn’t know they were faking. I mean honestly, they must be incredibly stupid to fall for that. Who would want to have a conversation with a house elf? Anyway, they snuck into the kitchens and sprinkled a sleeping potion over all the roast and tubers for last night’s dinner. Then we - er, I mean they - they didn’t eat anything and went back to the dorms to wait for everyone to fall asleep.

We, those of us that saved Hogwarts, ate sandwiches? Or something like that. Because, uh, we were studying, like, really hard.

Interviewer: Tell us what happened after everyone else was asleep. When did you know something was wrong?

*she laughs, which must be a nervous reaction to the terrifying memory* They didn’t realize anything was wrong until we shot the wand out of Yume’s hand. Oh! I mean, reverse that. We didn’t know, not they. I’m uh… I got hit by a confundus charm last night! That’s why I keep messing up the story.

Interviewer: It’s no problem. Just tell us the truth as best you recall it.

Uh, sure. Anyway, they yelled about killing the headmaster after disarming us and breaking our wands--

Interviewer: They broke your wands?!

What? Oh, sorry, no that’s… they… nevermind that part, but they definitely talked about killing people and taking over Hogwarts. Death to Mudbloods, I heard one say. And they kept talking about kittens? I don’t know what that part was about, but lots of fecking kittens were mentioned.

Then they set our robes on fire. *digs into bag* Here, I brought mine for you to see.

Interviewer: That is definitely a burnt robe.

Yeah, took forever to remember we can cast a water spell. Anyway, we put out the flames and they ran.

Interviewer: Wait, after all that they just ran?

Well, yeah. Because they knew they’d never be able to fight us without their wands. Oh feck. That’s not what I meant to say. I meant they were scared of how powerful we are. So powerful, that if they fought us then it would… feel like they were fighting without their wands?

Interviewer: Is there anything else you would like to say on the record?

Yes. I just remembered. They all would pick their noses and eat their boogers. Make sure you print that. It could be important.

Interviewer: … Um, okay. Will do. Be on the lookout for booger eaters. Got it. Well, thank you very much for your time and your recounting of your harrowing evening.

Readers at home, please see the Writ of Arrest issued by the Wizarding Council for these dangerous renegade students, printed on page 5.

Replies

• Saeraphine
    Options
    CHAPTER 2
    by Saeraphine

“Escape”

Success! All of the teamwork by the students paid off and the Common Room Hero was revealed (the first person to complete all 3 story challenges from Week 1). A visibly disheveled My_Butt shimmied out from under Gaunt as the students lifted. Helping My_Butt up, Geminiswede asked, “What did you do to her?”

“I came back from stretching my legs right as Arielluma stopped screaming. I saw my chance and stupefied the horrid lady. But she was supposed to fall forward!,” My_Butt groaned. Leaning down to recover her wand and to let Grayson hop up on her shoulder, she continued, “Did you like that bit of Incendio work I did on those idiots’ robes?” Holding up her wand, she let out a curse. “Boggarts Butts! Now what am I going to do?!” The top portion was only barely attached, dangling by its unicorn hair core after My_Butt had (rather unwillingly) helped to break Gaunt’s fall.

Saeraphine stole Gaunt’s wand from her limp hand as WyldRoots looked back into the common room behind the students and hurriedly said, “The same as the rest of us – get out of here!”

Gaunt’s lackeys had managed to douse the flames with some water, their robes now in soggy tatters. They were only tentatively moving towards the students, unsure how to proceed while temporarily without their leader (who was currently drooling in an unconscious heap on the floor), but the lackeys could resume the attack at any moment.

“Go!” Saeraphine yelled to the students. Then, pointing Gaunt’s wand at the traitors, she shouted the first thing that came to mind: “EXPECTO PATRONUM!”

The lackeys, not knowing what Saeraphine was going to do, had dived for cover, slipping and sliding over the wet floor. In the center of the room was now a weakly cast, fluffy and ridiculously plump raccoon patronus.

Rbratt06, making sure the last of the students got out before leaving, quizzically looked at Saeraphine and whispered, “Really? You went with patronus?”

“I just wanted to scare them. He was supposed to be menacing,” Saeraphine mumbled. Looking disappointedly at the snakeskin patterned wand in her hand, she let out an agitated sigh as she realized what should have been obvious. “I can’t cast properly with this wand; Gaunt wasn’t disarmed.”

The heavyset raccoon ambled to the trays of leftover food, got on his hind legs to reach up and… faded to nothing. Sensing there was no danger, the lackeys began to leave whatever cover they had taken. Then, Gaunt let out a pained groan and began to sit up.

“Time to go!” Rbratt06 said, grabbing Saeraphine’s arm.

And so, wandless, with the rest of the castle asleep and unable to come to their aid due to Gaunt’s well-placed sleeping draught, the group of Slytherin students had fled Hogwarts in what was meant to be only a short-term departure. But in the days to follow, they would discover the influence Gaunt really had.

Gaunt’s accomplices had remained in the castle, and using their burnt robes as evidence of their bravery, the accomplices claimed they had defended Hogwarts from the Slytherin students that had fled. That version of events, with no one to contradict their story and the group’s suspicious absence, was accepted as truth. An official writ of arrest was issued for the students by the Wizarding Council, and a slanderous article was published in the Daily Prophet.

When word reached the students of their criminal status, remembering Gaunt’s boasts of having infiltrated wizardkind’s governing body, it was decided collectively that not only could they not return home to their families (for fear of endangering their loved ones) but they also needed to get as far away as possible. If they traveled outside of the Wizarding Council’s sway, perhaps they’d be safe. They’d go to the New World, regroup, figure out how to clear their names and return back to normal Hogwarts life.

Little did they know that the wand they had stolen wasn’t just Gaunt’s wand, something she could find an adequate replacement for with a modicum of ease. That snakewood wand had belonged to Salazar Slytherin himself. To get it back and exact her revenge, Gaunt would hunt them down, even to the ends of the world.

“Hairy Shadow”

After leaving the docks, the outcast Slytherins purchased the supplies they were lacking from the local townspeople with the last of the muggle money they’d hoodwinked off a criminally greedy merchant back in Scotland. (In a stroke of luck, Sinnybri had fled Hogwarts with a sack of Leprechaun gold in her robes. She had explained that she’d been due to meet up with a “feckin’ gullible little Gryffindor” to buy his broomstick. Since the Gryffindor wasn’t supposed to have one in the first place – his parents had literally grounded him for what seemed to be a serious case of kleptomania – he wouldn’t have been able to report the deception when the gold disappeared without exposing his own wrongdoing.)

Needing to set up camp in a secluded place away from prying eyes where they could recoup, the group soon found themselves wandering the wilderness outside town. The smaller foliage had given way to immense chestnut trees, their trunks deeply furrowed, topped by a crown of leaves many stories above the forest floor. Dapperwulf had taken a fallen chestnut limb as a walking staff, but only after he had carefully inspected it with his appraising eye, seeming to have made some sort of unspoken decision.

It was a serene trek thus far, and a nice change of pace from their hectic departure from Great Britain, which—they discovered from gossip in the town—was now completely ruled by King William (no longer just Prince of Orange), his invasion a success after the now deposed King James was allowed to flee the country, vacating the throne. The pleasant woodland setting is probably why they were caught unawares by the sight awaiting them when they happened upon the hidebehind’s clearing.

Hidebehinds are deadly creatures, able to change their hairy form to hide behind any object. This hidebehind had managed to overcome a pukwudgie, a short, grey-faced, large-eared creature resembling a humanoid porcupine, and was now preparing him for breakfast, the unconscious pukwudgie’s poison arrows discarded close by. The hidebehind and the group startled one another, with Tahm42 letting out an astonished, “What the…?”

The hidebehind, hating being seen, immediately began darting behind various plants, making his way to the group in flickers almost too fast for the eye to catch, until finally, he made his way into Talhonjik’s shadow.

“Uh… guys…,” Tal whispered shakily, not daring to move a muscle. “I can feel it breathing behind me…”

Coop925, realizing he had heard of this creature before on his travels to perfect his painting skills, quickly told Tal, “You need to move and –“

“I’m too scared!,” Tal urgently shot back.

“No, listen,” Coop925 said consolingly. “It doesn’t want us to see it. If you move, it has to move with you. Do jumping jacks or something. It can’t hurt you until it’s sure we can’t see it.” Noticing that Tal was still frozen in place, he yelled, “You need to move NOW!”

Coop925’s shout had the intended effect, and startled Tal from her paralysis. Her heart already pounding from fright, she started doing jumping jacks as Coop925 had told her. After about what felt like an eternally long minute, a hairy shadow darted from behind the jumping Tal to behind the next closest person. Ches18, with a look of surprise, didn’t need Coop925 to yell at her and immediately began doing high knees. The hidebehind didn’t even wait a minute hiding behind Ches18 with her impressively fast high knees, and darted behind Jls1661, who let out a “dang it” before proceeding to run in place.

“It’s going to keep jumping from person to person!” Catskull fretfully announced.

“Then we’ll just have to keep moving until we tire him out,” Arielluma said determinedly. “Everyone, we need to start exercising!”

“The Grump”

The hidebehind, not accustomed to using such active targets for cover, finally abandoned his pukwudgie meal and scampered off through the forest. The sweaty Slytherins made their way over to the pukwudgie, who had regained consciousness in the last few minutes of the group’s odd-looking battle with the hidebehind. His ankle must have been twisted in his encounter with the creature, as he was struggling to limp to recover his arrows.

Rbratt06, seeing his injury, pulled some bandages out of her pack. “Here, let me help you,” she said, kneeling down to wrap his ankle. The pukwudgie, after much grumbling, finally conceded to letting her treat him. “I’d make a Pain-Ease Poultice for you, but I don’t have many herbs yet. Or a wand,” she said with a frown.

In astonishment, the pukwudgie looked at Rbratt06 and asked, “You’re a witch?”

“We all have magic,” Tahm42 replied. “Though fat lot of good that does us right now with no wands.”

Dapperwulf, plucking a long, thick silky black hidebehind hair from the back of Wulfkat’s tunic, quietly said to himself, “Maybe not for long…”

“Why don’t you have wands?,” the pukwudgie asked matter-of-factly. Then with a gleam of excitement, he guessed, “One of my brothers trick you out of them, eh? Trick you out of them myself, I bet I could.” Then resignedly he quietly added, “… If I wasn’t indebted to you now.”

“We weren’t tricked out of them!,” Jgundz responded indignantly.

“We kind of were,” The313 commented. “The only reason the traitors trapped us was because we thought they were on our side.”

Westpancake, seemingly the only one who heard the pukwudgie’s last remark, inquired, “What do mean you’re indebted to us now?”

The pukwudgie harumpfed, crossing his arms. “You saved my life, even if it was through your sheer stupidity that you stumbled into the hidebehind’s territory.” Through gritted pointed teeth, he managed to explain the last part, “I can’t leave having owed you. I have to serve you until my debt is paid.”

Tmeadows_08 stepped forward and asked, “Do you know a safe place we can set up camp?”

The pukwudgie looked at her side-long. “I may have a place.”

“You take us to a place that’s safe and we can set up a shelter, and consider your debt paid,” Westpancake bargained.

“Done!,” the pukwudgie happily agreed, hopping up in his excitement. He immediately sat down again in pain, having aggravated his ankle. With a frustrated exhale, he muttered, looking to the side, “I may need help getting you there.”

With the pukwudgie being the size of a child, Sammich_v2 and Jls1661 were able to craft a makeshift cloth litter with some large branches they found nearby. The pukwudgie, indignant at this albeit necessary infringement on his independence, complained the entire time as he was guiding them deeper into the woods. It was a little more difficult keeping him level and comfortable as he directed them up a narrow path with a challenging incline, and the students had to take turns carrying the litter. (The pukwudgie seemed to complain a little less when Rbratt06 was helping carry him, and while he would not reveal his name to her, when she suggested calling him Urthbert, he decided he didn’t hate it and would respond.)

It took the entire day, but finally, Urthbert indicated the spot they were looking for was just at the top of the next rise. And then they were there – the forest opened up to the world. If they weren’t out of breath from the arduous climb, they surely were when that immense view unfolded before them, for they were at the top of the highest mountain around, and the most beautiful, verdant landscape stretched out below them for miles, bathed in dusky light.

“This is the very definition of amazing…” Ches18 uttered in awe.

“Yes, yes, the scenery is nice,” Urthbert said dismissively. “But that’s not why I brought you here.” Pointing further ahead, he directed their attention to some vine-covered stones.

That’s why I brought you here.”

“The Guardians of Greylock”

The group walked slowly towards the stones, partially because they didn’t know what they were walking towards, and partly because they were so tired. It became clear that the stones ahead of them were quite large, and each irregularly shaped. “What are these?,” My_Butt asked. “They look ancient.”

As the group neared, they could see that what they’d mistaken for just stones were actually four statues, each seven feet tall and intricately carved in different materials beneath the vines. They were arranged in a circle facing a small, slightly raised, pedestal-like platform in the center.

Proudly, Urthbert announced, “We call them the Guardians of Greylock.”

Urthbert indicated for My_Butt to remove the vines from the front of the closest statue, which seemed to be made of an opaque golden beryl stone. “This is the Thunderbird,” he said as she uncovered the massive wings. “Wait till you see the storms they create. The Thunderbird delights in deeds of greatness, and favors those with an adventurous soul.”

Wulfkat and Jgundz began clearing off the next statue - a strong, proud panther-like creature with six legs, made of a deep purple hackmanite stone. “That’s the Wampus, carved out of a color changing stone. It'll turn white when the light is gone. You don’t ever want to tangle with her. She’s impossible to kill, and quick as a thunderbird’s lightning too. The Wampus looks for strength in body and character, and favors warriors,” Urthbert advised.

“The Horned Serpent,” he went on as the vines were removed from the giant snake made of a marbled teal chrysocolla stone. It had horns like an antelope and an opalescent, spherical jewel embedded in its head. “It’s said to have many magical abilities – invisibility, hypnotic powers, even control over the weather. They reside in lakes and rivers, though I haven’t seen one for a long time. The Horned Serpent favors those with a scholarly mind.”

Urthbert began to get excited as the vines were cleared from the last statue. “This one’s the best,” he said, and it was clear why he thought so, for it was a seven foot tall pukwudgie. “That is the Glorious Pukwudgie. He can disappear and reappear, transform into a porcupine, and create fire! We’re excellent with arrows too. Pukwudgie favors those with a healer’s heart.”

“These are pretty neat, I guess,” Lilsweetypie1992 said looking around.

Urthbert looked like his head was about to explode. “Pretty NE…?,” he blustered. “Can’t you feel it? You said you were a witch!”

Laughing at the look on Urthbert’s face, Lilsweetypie1992 said, “Feel what?”

“The magic!,” he shouted.

“What do they do?,” Wyldroots inquired, circling the Thunderbird statue.

Urthbert rolled his eyes. “I don’t know! I’m not a wizard, now am I? I thought you lot would have some ideas.”

Dapperwulf cleared off the pedestal to reveal an inlay of gold depicting a Gordian Knot in the center. He stepped up on the pedestal to get a better look at the Wampus statue’s head. “The detail is remarkable,” he mused, teetering on the edge.

The Wampus statue opened its stone jaws and roared fiercely in Dapperwulf’s face, causing Dapperwulf to fall backwards off the pedestal in surprise. The perimeter of the clearing faintly pulsed with light for a moment and faded, and then the Wampus statue was silent again. Unmoving.

“What did you do?,” Urthbert asked excitedly.

Brushing off his breeches, Dapperwulf got up and said, “Nothing. I just stood here,” he explained, stepping back up on the pedestal, “and leaned in like this and…” The group waited to see if the Wampus would move again, but it was completely silent.

“Let me try,” Arielluma volunteered. Hopping up to replace Dapperwulf on the one-person pedestal, she slowly leaned in to the Wampus’ face. The Wampus remained silent again, but a new sound began to her left, like the scraping of stone. She turned and saw the Thunderbird slowly extending its wings. Again, the perimeter pulsed briefly with a faint light, maybe slightly brighter than the last time. After beating its mighty wings three times, the Thunderbird once again reverted to stillness.

“I think…” ventured Saeraphine hesitantly, “… was that a protection ward?” Turning back to the wide-eyed pukwudgie happily witnessing, she said, “You called them the Guardians of Greylock. Why?”

Urthbert shrugged his spikey shoulders. “That’s what I was taught to call them. My grandpap called them that, and his grandpap before him. Maybe even my grandpap’s grandpap’s grandpap, if the Guardians were here then. If you need a reason, I guess it could be because this is Mount Greylock, and the statues are… well, imposing in a way. But more than that, I don’t know.”

“Oh!,” Yume exclaimed. Addressing Saeraphine, she said, “You think the statues—”

Saeraphine interrupted. “Yeah, which would explain why the light—”

“Exactly,” Yume rapidly replied. “But we’ll need more tests—”

“Agreed,” Saeraphine finished. “Volunteer subject?”

Yume nodded.

“Huh?” Catskull interjected as Yume set off for the pedestal.

Yume climbed up and stood in the center, waiting expectedly. At first nothing happened, but then the jewel on the forehead of the Horned serpent glowed faintly and the Wampus opened its mouth slightly, remaining silent. Both statues stayed that way, as if waiting for something. There was no pulse of light around the perimeter.

Yume furrowed her brow in thought, and Saeraphine steepled her fingers in front of her face as she considered. This was not the outcome they had been expecting. “Maybe… choose?,” Saeraphine finally said.

Yume looked between the two statues, considered for a moment, and then declared, “Horned Serpent.” The Wampus’ mouth gently closed while the jewel on the Horned Serpent’s head blazed with prismatic light as its stone coils began to move. The perimeter was illuminated again, this time undoubtedly proving it was getting brighter with each flare. “I think we can accept that as confirmation,” Yume said, smiling as she exited the circle to rejoin the others.

“What are you guys on about?,” Geminiswede said exasperatedly.

“You know how Hogwarts has defense spells worked into the castle? The knights have animation magic to give them movement in dire need, and there's a protective barrier around the grounds?,” Saeraphine quizzed.

“Well I do now…,” muttered Sinnybri.

Forty6and2 leaned over and said in an aside, “Maybe you would’ve known sooner if you weren’t so busy pranking second-years from the other houses,” to which Sinnybri only grinned mischievously.

With a twitch of a smile, Saeraphine continued, “This is similar to those spells. This clearing has a protective barrier around it – that’s the flash of light we keep seeing around the edges. The Statues act as the spell anchor, supplying power to the barrier. Every witch and wizard has different strengths, so the Statues seek out those strengths to decide which anchor will claim that person’s power to reinforce the spell. I think they chose those creatures because each type needed comes from people with those traits the creatures are associated with.”

The313 jumped in, “Those things take our magic?!”

“No!,” Yume assured her. “It just…,” she paused searching for a clearer way to describe what had happened. “It connects you briefly to the ward to strengthen it in whatever way you can best contribute. I felt a small tingle in my fingers, and that was it. Did you feel it too?,” Yume asked Arielluma and Dapperwulf.

Arielluma replied, “Yeah… I mean I guess so. I just thought I was regaining feeling after carrying Urthbert up that last part.” Urthbert let out an indignant harumpf, thinking Arielluma was implying he was overly heavy.

“I was too busy falling to notice. That Wampus is loud,” Dapperwulf supplied.

“So the more people who go up there and… well, I guess it’s sorting us by our traits in a way like the Sorting Hat, isn’t it? So the more people who get sorted, the more powerful the protection?,” Sammich_v2 wondered.

“If we’re right, and I think we are, then yes.” Saeraphine thought for a moment and then added, “I mean, there are always things that could break through a barrier, but it will at least protect us from natural predators – bears, wolves, and such. And eventually if it’s strong enough, possibly magic, too.”

“Oh great,” Sinnybri said throwing her hands up in the air. “Never mind the crazy lady who’s after us, I forgot about the fecking bears and wolves. I’ll be having me some sweet dreams tonight, won’t I?”

Rbratt06 made her way up to the pedestal with a determined, “Let’s do this.” The others carefully watched to see which statue would “claim” her. Urthbert started clapping when “The Glorious Pukwudgie” statue raised his pointed arrow to the sky, but stopped when he noticed some from the group laughing and quickly returned to his customary scowl. Again the protection barrier flared as the new magic was added to its supply. Stepping down, Rbratt looked relieved. “I barely felt that at all,” she said cheerfully.

Looking around at the rest of the group, Rbratt06 said, “Alright, who’s next?”

CHAPTER 3
    by Dapperwulf

“Settling In

As the last person stepped down from the pedestal, the Thunderbird stilled its wings and the last pulse of light was seen from the wards as the small clearing fell silent.

“I'm a Pukwudgie,” giggled one wizard. “The Slytherin in me might poison you, but my Pukwudgie side will give you the antidote.”

“Wampus here!” laughed a witch, letting out a roar very similar in volume to the statue itself.

Stepping to the side and wrapping her arms around herself, Talhonjik whispered, “Why do I feel as though I've betrayed my house and chosen another?”

“Don't.” stated Vatrilla13 firmly, stepping up and putting an arm around her. “We are Slytherin. We shall always remain Slytherin. These stones may further define who we are as individuals, but they shall never, ever divide us.”

“Agreed.” “Aye.” “Here, here.” All the Slytherins gathered close at Vatrilla13’s words, clasping shoulders and holding one another.

Coop925 slipped from the group and walked to the edge of the clearing. Holding his hands level with the ground, he reached out with his magic, testing. A moment later, he sighed, visibly tired, but more relaxed. “Well, the wards are fairly strong. They should hold against anything non-magical at least.”

Wulfkat glanced at the swiftly setting sun. “I'd still feel better with a fire and if we set watches.”

Coop925 nodded in agreement as Tahm42 said, “I'll second that. Ches18 and I'll get some firewood.”
    After eating a filling meal, the tired friends assigned watches, assuring everyone a decent night's rest, but with at least three on guard at all times. Dapperwulf, WyldRoots and Tmeadows_08 took the first watch. While the rest of the group fell into slumber, Dapper sat and carved on a bit of the chestnut branch he'd picked up earlier, as the girls sat together under a blanket near the fire, chatting softly.

“And I had been studying so hard for it too! I mean, by the time we get back to Hogwarts, I'm going to have to retake the entire class over again and...oh!” WyldRoots gave a small cry of surprise as her hair tumbled down into her face.

“Oh, sorry. Mind if I borrow this?” Dapper grinned charmingly, holding up her hair pin.

“Men! No consideration of a lady's person at all!” Tmeadows_08 threw a berry at Dapper's head.

Dapperwulf chuckled and bowed. “I'll give it back. My word as a gentleman.”

“Gentleman? Huh! Scamp or rogue of a boy is more the like! Always with the games Dapper, they got you into enough trouble back in Scotland, did they not?” fussed WyldRoots, pulling her hair back into some semblance of order. “What in Merlin's name do you need my hair pin for?”

“Needle,” murmured Dapper, smiling as he turned, already busy with something that he kept turned away from them.

“See? Boys,” WyldRoots said exasperatedly to Tmeadows_08, standing up. “Come on, let's walk the perimeter.”

“Trouble”

“What's he doing? Polishing his wood?” asked WyldRoots slyly as they returned from patrol, glancing over to the fire where Dapperwulf sat.

Tmeadows_08 burst into laughter at the innuendo. “I certainly hope not! I mean really, in all....” she whipped around and stared hard at the darkness beyond the fire's light. “Did you hear that?”

WyldRoots turned slowly towards the black woods past the clearing’s edge. “Twig snap. Yes. Dapper--,” she hissed over her shoulder. “Wake the others. We have company.”

The wizard's eyes snapped to the spot his friends were staring at. Pocketing his project, he slowly reached down to shake Yume's shoulder.

“Wha...?” Her groggy words were muffled as Dapperwulf covered her mouth with his hand gently. Yume’s eyes focused first in panic, then recognition.

“Company.” Dapperwulf whispered. Yume breathed in sharply and rolled over to shake Wulfkat, who came awake instantly. Within a minute, the newly sorted Slytherins were all on their feet, swords or daggers in the hands of those who had them, and whatever weaponry could be found in the hands of those that didn't.

Lilsweetypie1992 quietly asked, “Is it her? Has Gaunt found us?”

Before anyone could venture a guess, large spiked balls rained into the clearing, rolling into those unlucky enough to be near where they landed. The balls morphed into humanoid shapes, hurling balls of fire at their opponents and lighting the darkness with the bright flames. Some of the wizards that were sorted into Pukwudgie gathered around Urthbert, who was still unable to move due to his twisted ankle, in order to protect him from whatever new beast was trying to make them dinner.

Though never the brash warriors that Gryffindor had favoured, those sorted into Slytherin had also never shied away from the fighting arts. With a single cry, they charged their enemies.

Rbratt ducked a blow from one of the creatures when a weak, but passable Stupify glanced off the creature’s shoulder, momentarily stunning it. Taking advantage of the situation, she clubbed it on one side of the head with a piece of firewood. “Morgana's knickers, where did that spell come from?!”

“Damnable thing works, but not well!,” cursed Dapperwulf, brandishing a chestnut wand in one hand and his rapier in the other.

Rbratt stared, dumbfounded momentarily in the midst of the battle. “You...you..you have a wand?!”

“For all the good it's doing! See if it works better for you!,” Dapperwulf shouted, flinging it in her direction. Rbratt caught it. Waving it at the nearest creature, a stuttering gust of wind tripped the thing, allowing Arielluma to knock it out. She turned wide-eyed to stare at Rbratt.

“Ask Dapper! He had the thing! But later.” She tossed the chestnut wand to Arielluma. “See if it works better for you.”

The second the wand touched her hand, a burst of illumination filled the glen. “Arania Exumai!” Arielluma shouted. A thunderously brilliant blue flash of light erupted from the tip of the wand, causing several of their attackers to be hurled with enormous force off their feet and several yards back into the thick forest. The fight paused as literally everyone turned to stare at Arielluma.

Slowly, Urthbert clapped. “Well done. Well done indeed. Now that that's settled, would you lot like to meet my family, proper-like?”

“The Misunderstanding”

“Your family!?” gasped Westpancake, staring at the pukwudgie struggling to stand back up in front of her.

“Of course. I assumed they'd come looking for me when I didn't come back tonight.” Urthbert smiled smugly from his spot on the litter by the fire. “They surprised you but good!”

An older-looking pukwudgie stepped forward and held his hand out to Vatrilla13, who took it hesitantly, and he helped her off the ground. “And, it appears, we attacked for no good reason.” he growled.

Urthbert grumbled. “Well, it was simply a misunderstan--” The older pukwudgie slammed his staff into the ground, causing a concussive force to slam through the clearing.

“Enough! You left signals that you had been taken by force, and yet we find you here! Fed, cared for, injured - aye, but treated and with respect! They even gathered to protect you while we “rescued” you. Because of your prank, you have caused us to bring shame on ourselves!”

Urthbert cast his eyes downward. “I simply meant for you to come find me. I brought them here to repay my debt, but I knew I'd need help getting home.”

“And now we are all indebted to them!” thundered the elder. “Some are injured, and if it wasn’t for their fighting skills, it could have been much worse. What you have caused--”

“Wait.” said Sue_01 softly. “It's been a long day and so far, the night hasn't been that restful either. Could we perhaps discuss this in the morning?”

“Aye,” growled the grizzled pukwudgie, biting his tongue on the rest of his scolding for young pukwudgie. “To begin to repay the debt we now owe,” the elder said pointedly, glaring at Urthbert, “we shall guard you for tonight so you may all rest.”

The next morning found the group rising feeling much more refreshed. Catskull offered Arielluma a bit of dried apple. “No thanks, not hungry.” she murmured, rolling the wand in her fingers. “Dapper, where did you get this?”

Dapperwulf smiled and held out a hair pin to WyldRoots, who accepted it with roll of her eyes and slight smile while she muttered something about boys. “I made it,” he answered with a hint of pride.

My_Butt settled in beside him, curious. “How? That's not exactly a common skill.”

“My uncle on my mother's side is a wand maker in Paris,” Dapperwulf explained. “We would go there during the summer months to visit her family. To escape my mother's clutches, I would accompany my uncle as much as possible.”

Jgundz sat on the log across from them, gazing at the wand longingly. “Could you make more?” she asked softly.

“I can try,” Dapper smiled. “But, I'll need supplies.”

“The Choosing”

That day everyone explored the forest, gathering supplies for both wands and extra provisions. A small group was introduced to the local Native tribe by the pukwudgies (who now insisted on assisting the wizards, at least for a time, despite the assurances made that it wasn’t necessary) and were delighted to find wizarding folk among them. With the pukwudgies acting as only slightly reluctant interpreters, they were able to trade for wand ingredients they would have been unable to obtain otherwise.

Once everyone returned to the statues, Dapperwulf began sorting through the supplies so that he could get started. The others left him to it and settled in to begin preparing the evening meal.

Geminiswede sat thoughtfully, turning several large game birds on a spit over the fire. “You know, we really need to start thinking about erecting some form of shelter.”

“True,” agreed Yume. “A fairly large one, to fit all of us, and sturdy too. It's going to be some time before we are able to clear our names, depending on how we go about it, and more than that before our families can let us know it’s safe to return.”

The others murmured in agreement and Coop925 began sketching in the dirt the beginnings of a blueprint for a shelter.

The next few days passed uneventfully, though no less busy. My_Butt, in her roaming, had found a generous vein of stone, with several loose and able to be carried to the statues to begin building the shelter. Not used to such demanding physical labor unaided by magic, the former Slytherins gained much respect for their Muggle and Squib brethren. The pukwudgies helped - with much complaining.

Soon, the wands were finished, but Dapper didn’t offer them to the group right away. For most of a day, he stayed in intense conversation, occasionally marked with raised voices, with the Elder Pukwudgie (who had turned out to be Urthbert’s grandpap). Finally, the two of them seemed to reach an agreement and approached the group at sunset that evening.

Dapperwulf sighed heavily as he stood in front of the others. “The wands are finished. However, they’re different from those we’re used to. More choosy, you might say. They seem to need to have their owner ‘prove’ themselves worthy before they will allow themselves to be claimed," he explained.

“Aye,” agreed Grandpap. “So each of you will have to be tested. Since you’ve already been chosen by the statues, we’ve based our test on the qualities they look for. Mind. Body. Heart. And Spirit.”

Remember, it is the choices we make in life that show our true selves.
    Choose wisely, and find the wand meant only for you.

• Saeraphine
    Options
    CHAPTER 4
    by Rbratt

“To Town”

With brand new wands in hand, the group (both spellcasters and pukwudgies) began to build their shelter on the peak of Mount Greylock with the stones they had painstakingly gathered around the statues. While they were able to utilize many natural resources found in the forest, it soon became apparent that additional supplies were necessary in the construction of the building, as well as for what would be required inside - furniture, books, decorations, and the like (though nothing too fancy as this was just a temporary home, they repeated to themselves.) While the local natives had been helpful providing wand ingredients, they didn’t have the items that were now being requested.

After turning away from one of the tribe leaders forlornly, Saeraphine turned towards Urthbert. “I know we passed by a few small colonies on our way here, but do you know where the closest one is that has a decent trade shop?”

Urthbert thought for a moment. “Well, there is Pocumtuck - which translates to Deerfield in your language. It’s about a two-day walk from here. A few of us Pukwudgies can guide you there, but we won’t enter the town.”

“Oh, why is that?” Rbratt06 approached, carrying some medical herbs she just received in trading with the native healer.

The group walked out of the natives’ territory as Urthbert explained. “Deerfield is a completely No-Maj population. You won’t find anything remotely magical there. And, if the settlers there get a whiff of it, they start acting very paranoid, as if magic was evil!” He snorted at the thought. “We’d be hunted down if they saw us, so we steer clear.”

“That’s unfortunate,” Ches18 remarked. “You’re such remarkable, helpful creatures. Almost like the house elves back at Hogwarts.”

My_Butt smirked. “Sure, ALMOST like the house elves. At least they had cheery dispositions and begged to wait on you hand and foot.”

Urthbert stared at her blankly. “I know not what creatures you speak of, but if they willingly want to be around you, they must be dense.” The group laughed as they headed back to camp. After writing up a list of supplies to look out for, as well as packing items to trade, Yume asked for volunteers to make the trek to Deerfield.

“A Plague Upon Your House!”

As the group neared the town, the Pukwudgies stopped abruptly. “This is the closest we’ll go.” Urthbert stated. “You’ll have to go on without us. Just don’t do anything stupid because we won’t be able to save your hides.”

“Awww,” Vatrilla13 said dryly. “Thanks for your concern.”

Everyone walked cautiously into town, trying to act as No-Maj as possible. A resident attending to his horse saw them approach and eyed them suspiciously. “Hello. What brings you to Deerfield?”

Coop925 stepped forward. “We’ve just made our way to the area looking for some land of our own. We need supplies to complete the construction of our home, as well as items for the interior. Can you direct us to the general store?”

The No-Maj man relaxed a little bit. “Oh, you’re here to purchase then? Well, we won’t turn away that! But…” He looked around at the empty street. The group suddenly realized that they were the only ones outside, which was odd. “A strange malady has hit our colony. Many of the residents have fallen ill. So, I suggest you get on with your business and leave before you catch it, as well. You’ll find the goods you need two streets down, to your left.” With that, he led his horse away and disappeared into a stall.

“Oh no!” Lilsweetypie1992 lamented. “That’s so sad. I wonder if there’s anything we can do.”

“I’m not sure if that’s even such a good idea,” Tahm42 responded. “This is a No-Maj only village. If we do anything out of the ordinary, we may be hunted down, just like how they would react if they saw the pukwudgies.”

The group fell into a thoughtful silence. “Well,” Westpancake said. “Let’s make our way to the shop, and we’ll go from there.”

The shopkeeper was friendly enough and appreciated doing business, as it had been slow lately, but she also warned the group to leave as soon as they could so that they wouldn’t get sick. Finally Forty6and2 blurted out, “What kind of disease is this exactly? Don’t you have something that can heal everyone?”

The shopkeeper looked taken back for a moment by Forty6and2’s outburst before recovering her composure. As if she were glad to address the elephant in the room, the shopkeeper began talking in a rush. “I’ve never seen the like before! It began a few weeks ago when Gregory Barnum - oh, that foolish boy - went wandering out into the woods alone. He was gone for days; no one could find him! Suddenly, he came stumbling back into town rambling about DRAGONS of all things! But, the sight of him made all the respectable women faint!” She paused for breath, looking as if she might faint from the memory herself. After a moment’s recovery, the shopkeeper leaned in conspiratorially towards the group and loudly whispered, “He was covered in bumps, and his skin was this revolting green and purple hue. It’s not natural, I tell you. We called the doctor to see if he could figure out what was wrong with the dear boy, but no such luck. All it did was cause the doctor to fall ill - and now, it’s been spreading like wildfire!”

The shopkeeper began bundling the last of the group’s items. With a glum sigh, she continued, “It seems that half the town is sick in bed, if not dead already - bless them. And the other half has quarantined themselves inside their homes. It’s bad for business, it is! If you have half a mind,” she finished resolutely, “you’ll leave before you catch it too!” With that, she shooed them out of the store and slammed the door behind them.

The stunned group stood there for a moment, processing what just happened. Finally, The313 spoke up. “Is it just me or does that sound eerily similar to--”

“-- Dragon Pox?” Sue_01 finished her sentence. “Indeed, but that’s a wizarding illness. It doesn’t make sense for No-Maj to catch it.”

“Unless there is more magical blood in this colony than people care to admit,” said Dapperwulf. “If the No-Maj here are really that fearful of things they don’t understand, it’s conceivable that if there are witches and wizards here, they would want to keep a low profile.”

“Whatever the case,” Rbratt06 chimed in. “We should help them as much as we can. Dragon Pox can be fatal. This whole colony will suffer immensely if nothing is done.” The group nodded in agreement.

“Let’s go back to the pukwudgies then and collect the ingredients to make the cure,” WyldRoots said.

“Yeah,” tmeadows_08 nodded. “Before we get infected, as well!”

“Like Thermonuclear Warfare?”

As the group made their way out of Deerfield, they decided that half of them would return to Mount Greylock to deliver the goods, so that the construction of their new home could continue. The other half would stay in the area for a couple of days to find ingredients for the Dragon Pox cure. Thankfully, a native village was nearby so acquiring more magical ingredients wasn’t too difficult. Once everything was collected, the cure was ready to brew. “This will take a few hours,” Rbratt06 said. “Why don’t we play a game to pass the time?”

“The Cure”

As soon as the cure was finished brewing, the group that had stayed behind headed back into Deerfield. The colony was silent as, again, no one braved the outdoors. “Um… I guess we can go back to the general store and see if the owner is still available,” CatSkull suggested. Everyone nodded in agreement and headed in that direction.

Occasionally, they spotted eyes peeking out of the windows of the homes they passed, but no one came out to greet them. They quietly entered the store, which was unlocked, and looked around for the shop owner. They heard rustling in the next room, so Coop925 called out a greeting. There was a surprised squawk and the owner came bustling out, a load of goods in her arms. “Oh, it’s you lot again,” she said a bit out of breath. “What can I do for you?”

“Well,” Sinnybri began. “We thought about the illness that has troubled you-”

“It’s a curse, I tell you! Such a tragedy!” The shopkeeper interjected, fanning herself with a free hand after she set things down on the counter.

“And, it sounds similar to something that happened in England not so long ago,” CatSkull stated. “We have medicine that should be able to help out.”

“My goodness! That would be wonderful! So, what kind of malady is it?”

“It’s dra…. It’s a rare type of pox,” Tahm42 explained. “We definitely weren’t expecting something like that here, but thankfully we know how to cure it.” She handed a large bottle of the cure over to the shopkeeper. “Let’s heal this town!”

The group got to work and went door to door handing out a bit of the Dragon Pox cure at a time. Soon, all the residents had been visited and immediately, positive results were being seen. After a few more days, the pox was nowhere to be seen. Sadly, many did perish from the illness, but many were also saved, thanks to the cure.

The townspeople came up and thanked the group. Hands were shaken, hugs were given, gratitude was expressed. “Thank you so much for healing our family and friends,” said one of the townsmen. “You are always welcome here. If there’s anything you need, please let us know.”

A petite elderly woman stepped up to the group as the crowd of patrons dispersed. As soon as there was no one in earshot she said, “I know this was no ordinary pox. I’d recognize Dragon Pox anywhere. And, since you were able to make a cure, that makes you…” She fell silent as a No-Maj resident passed by. “Anyhow, I’m glad you arrived to help. Unfortunately, my dear daughter didn’t make it. I would have done something, had I possessed the knowledge. Even with things being tense between us and the natives, I would have done anything…” her voice trailed off as she remembered her daughter. The group stood there for a moment in silence, respecting the elderly woman’s unfathomable loss.

“If you know who we are, does that mean you’re-” Geminiswede ventured hesitantly, before the woman interrupted.

“I’m nothing but a Squib,” she said hastily, her cheeks flushing red. There was a little bit of spite in her voice when she said the word “squib”, but it was impossible to tell if that was directed at herself because of her lack of life-saving knowledge that could have helped her daughter or if it was because of the exclusion squibs faced by the wizarding community. “But... my son-in-law knows about magic. He’s not afraid of it like everyone else around here. He’s a No-Maj himself, but he loves...,” she stopped for moment. With tears in her eyes, she corrected herself, “Loved... He loved my daughter dearly. She was a witch herself, you see…I couldn’t teach her more than the basics, but she still figured out things on her own. She was brilliant, truly. If only she’d had proper schooling!” The elderly woman clasped her hand to her heart, remembering her daughter’s untapped potential as a few of the tears she had been bravely holding back escaped unbidden. “My friend, Ms. Lackey, she once said ‘If only. Those must be the two saddest words in the world.’ I understand what she meant now…”

Tahm42 gingerly put her arm around the grieving mother’s shoulders. “I’m so sorry,” she whispered.

The elderly woman accepted the comfort Tahm42 offered. Breathing deeply, she again addressed the group. “But that’s in the past now. Her husband has been gone on business, though hopefully he received my letter about Stella, so he should be making his way back here. Maybe you’ll meet him one day. I think he would like you all. His name is William…”
    CHAPTER 5
    by Arielluma and Saeraphine

The half of the group that hadn’t stayed to cure the Dragon Pox had set off to return to the shelter with their purchases. They had been advised not to use magic so close to the No-Maj by Urthbert’s Grandpap, but when it was realized just how time consuming the journey was turning out to be, that judgement was questioned. Even though there were quite a few of them, there was a heck of a lot to carry back. What had taken them two days to travel before was already going to take them almost twice that going uphill.

“C’mon, we’re past the point anyone would see. Besides, what’s the worst thing that could happen?” Jgundz said dismissively before flourishing her wand. “Wingardium Leviosa

With that, their load lightened and the pace of travel increased. Luckily enough, the No-Maj were far more concerned with avoiding catching the “mysterious ailment” than they were curious where the group of strange strangers were heading off to - so no one noticed the packages magically flying through the trees. Or so the wizards thought.

After an arduous two days, the mountaintop shelter was in sight. The students directed the new belongings into the common area before collapsing down to the floor to rest. They had made it back to their New World home.

They had nearly finished arranging the supplies to Lilsweetypie1992’s specifications (“No, move it a couple inches to the left. Left! Your other left!”) when it happened.

One moment everything was relatively calm - not even the wind was blowing that afternoon, making it a warm, lazy day. The next moment, the air filled with tension. Dapperwulf, being strongly connected to the Wampus statue that had first reinforced the protection wards, jerked his head towards the back wall to search behind him. Someone was out there. Someone bad.

Dapper cleared his throat. “Wands at the ready if you please, ladies and gentlemen.” The witches and wizards hurriedly drew their wands out of concealment before cautiously following Dapperwulf out the door.

At first, as they walked out further into the clearing, they saw nothing but the trees blowing in the breeze - “Wait,” The313 observed. “How can the trees be blowing in the breeze when the air is dead still?”

Her answer came as two reptilian wings rising above the treetops, followed quickly by a large scaly green head with two horns protruding from the top. The head let out an oddly melodic roar, as the beast spotted the group of wizards and began to make its way toward them.

“That’s a Common Welsh Green Dragon!,” Talhonjik shouted out. “What is it doing so far from home?!”

That’s what you want to know right now??” Wind_luver asked incredulously. “Well, maybe you should invite it in for tea and ask! Oh wait, probably not, because it’s about to turn us into its own personal biscuits!”

The dragon began circling around like a hawk that had spotted its prey. From the side, it was easy to see that this dragon had to be about 20ft long. Not the largest dragon in the world, but larger than normal for its breed, and certainly large enough to be a major threat to the group. There seemed to be a metal collar around the dragon’s neck that pulsed a sickly red color.

Wulfkat, seeing the dragon had begun to open its mouth wide, raised his wand. “Protego Duo!,” he shouted, protecting the group from the narrow jet of flame that proceeded the raking of the dragon’s claws as it passed over the magic shield, trying to snatch at anything it could. “Get inside the shelter!,” Wulfkat said, straining to keep the shield intact.

The dragon once again began circling high in the sky, getting ready for another pass. Everyone who had taken off for the shelter made it there successfully, but Sue_01, Jls1661, and Jgundz were frozen in fear, and the dragon was now eyeing them. Noticing their paralysis, and in a desperate attempt to save their fellows Sammich_v2, Sinnybri, and Geminiswede splintered off from the retreating group.

“We were never taught how to fight a dragon!,” Geminiswede said in shock as she tried to think of any spells that could help.

Those that had been paralyzed in fear and were now running after Sinnybri had began yanking them by the arms to safety, but the dragon, with its massive wingbeats stirring the air around it, was closing the gap between them. “That’s it!,” Sammich_v2 realized. “Turn our disadvantage to an advantage. We can’t fly away, but that also means we won’t be blown away by this strong wind!” Swinging her arm around in a large arc above her head, Sammich_v2 unleashed a strong wind spell towards the encroaching dragon with a shouted, “DEPRIMO!

The dragon faltered in its approach, suddenly knocked off course by the strong wind spell cast its way. The wizards continued to hold the spell as the stragglers ran to their side, and added their strength to the spell. The dragon, not expecting this opposition of the elements, turned away from the group and was retreating towards the forest.

“We did it!,” exclaimed Jls1661.

The wizards in the clearing - the stragglers and those that distracted the dragon - held their breath, waiting for the dragon to get far enough away that it disappeared. It was almost to the tree line when the metal collar flashed a blazing red. The dragon let out a piercing roar of agony and landed harshly on the ground. It took a couple steps more towards the trees when there was another flash from the collar. The dragon twisted in pain, trying unsuccessfully to remove the metal burning into its flesh.

“Oh no… the poor dragon…” whispered Arielluma. “That absolute BITCHH!

“What? What are you talking about?” Vatrilla13 asked in a hushed voice.

Arielluma looked murderous, having an affinity for this agonized creature of the sky. “She did this! Someone is controlling that dragon through torture!! I bet my wand it’s Gaunt!” Arielluma seemed to spit the name. It wasn’t so long ago that she too was a tortured victim of Gaunt. “We have to help it!,” she declared.

The others who had cast the wind spell made it to the safety of the shelter as Arielluma was talking. The dragon’s cries had ceased, as it had discovered that the pain stopped when it headed towards the wizards and was slowly making its way back towards the shelter.

“What do you propose we do?” Sinnybri asked intensely. “We need to work fast. That dragon may be moving slow right now, but it’ll be at our door any moment.”

Peeking out of the shelter to check on the dragon’s progress, Sue_01 observed, “That collar has to go.”

“I believe that falls under the category of ‘easier said than done’?,” sassed Forty6and2.

Sue_01 rolled her eyes in exasperation, "Well it's a starting point. I'm open to suggestions!"

“We shouldn’t hurt it more than necessary,” Sammich_v2 chimed in, to which Arielluma nodded in agreement. “Stun it while it’s on the ground?,” she volunteered. The dragon let out another melodic roar, and they looked out to see it in the sky again, hurtling towards the shelter. “Or the air! Air is good too!”

“TAKE COVER!,” Catskull yelled, yanking Sue_01 from the doorway as a jet of fire blasted the front of their shelter. The group barely had time to move away before the dragon slammed its entire body into the front wall, causing it to cave in. The dragon, slightly disoriented from the impact, vaulted out of the rubble back into the sky and began to circle around again.

“We won’t survive another attack like that! It’s now or never!,” Dapper proclaimed. “Everyone, cast Stupefy together on my mark.” The group all pointed their wands at the dragon, lining up beside Dapper. The dragon began closing in for the next attack. “Just a little closer…” Dapper instructed to the anxious wizards beside him. Just as the dragon began to open its jaws for another fire jet, Dapper commanded, “NOW!!!”

The stunning spell, while cast properly, just wasn’t a strong enough spell to stop the dragon completely. It did, however, succeed in paralyzing one of the dragon’s wings and interrupt the dragon’s oncoming flame. The dragon, having been on the verge of attack, was low to the ground, and managed a controlled fall behind the shelter with its good wing.

Back by the tree line, the group of students that had stayed behind to cure the town emerged into the clearing, finally having made it back. They had heard the dragon’s roars, and fearing the worst, had rushed at an unforgiving pace to rejoin their friends. While shocked to find part of their shelter destroyed, they were relieved to see their fellows making their way hurriedly across the rubble.

“Oh, thank Merlin!,” Rbratt06 exhaled. Assuming the dragon must have flown off before they got there, the group from the town started to run to meet the group from the rubble.

Talhonjik began frantically waving her arms. “Stay back!” she pleaded, trying to prevent her peers from running towards danger. It was then that the dragon appeared around the corner, pursuing those fleeing the shelter.

“Oh my word…” Tahm42 breathed, stopping in her tracks. “It’s going to get them; it’s too quick!”

“We have to help them!” My_Butt yelled desperately.

“We’re too far away; we’d won’t make it in time to get close enough to cast spells,” The313 responded with fear.

A determined “Watch Me” was heard before something zipped past to the right.

My_Butt fearlessly sped towards the dragon hunting her friends. While she hadn’t flown since before they had fled Hogwarts, she was still a very capable broom handler, and began circling the dragon’s head like an annoying insect. The dragon, now distracted from its pursuit of the others, swiveled its head like a cat, occasionally shooting out jets of flame in frustration.

Controlling the broom with one hand, My_Butt withdrew her wand and hovered for a precarious moment right in front of the dragon’s face. “Impedire Visum!,” she proclaimed, before allowing her broom to fall in a dead drop before the dragon could roast her. In a stunning bit of broomwork, My_Butt pulled out of the drop and zoomed away from the dragon right before hitting the ground.

Making a running landing, My_Butt joined the now united group as the dragon whipped its head around blindly, turning towards every noise it heard. “This spell doesn’t last long. It’ll be able to see again soon. We need to strike it down now,” My_Butt panted.

“No! It’s being controlled. We need to get the collar off and free it!,” Arielluma cried.

Wind_luver supplied in a rush, “But we already tried Stupefy, and that spell isn’t strong enough to stop a dragon!”

“Then we’ll petrify it,” Saeraphine instructed, stepping forward. “All at once. If we work together at precisely the same moment, this spell should have enough force to stop it completely for a time. Long enough to remove whatever is around its neck. But we need absolutely everyone to participate.”

As the dragon inadvertently smashed another wall of the shelter down with its flailing tail, Wyldroots nervously inquired, “Are you sure this will work?”

Saeraphine stared each exhausted person in the eye. All were tired and worn out - those who cured the town from rushing back when they heard the sounds of the dragon ahead, and those who had already battled the dragon from the exertion needed to fend it off for as long as they had.

“We can do this,” Saeraphine answered firmly.

The wizards, under Saeraphine’s instruction, carefully formed a semi-circle around the blinded dragon, giving it a wide berth.

“Practice your restful breathing. We need to be as focused as possible,” she informed them. Raising her wand, she counted in sets of 4 so as to align the breathing of her peers. Soon everyone was in sync. To the same beat of 4, she shouted, “Ready, Set, Cast-” and everyone joined in the casting at the same moment: “Petrificus Totalus!”

• Saeraphine
    Options
    CHAPTER 6
    by Saeraphine

“Victory

We’ve won. The words reverberated around the clearing as everyone realized the enormity of that statement. The group had successfully defended themselves from Gaunt and freed her dragon. In amazement, everyone looked around at each other before a mild cheer went up from a Wampus. With the spell of quiet disbelief broken by that cheer, the rest of the exhausted friends let out exclamations of victory.

However, moments of triumph are often fleeting. Yes, they had defeated Gaunt and reasonably believed that she would never be seen again, what with her having been shot in the center of the chest with a poison arrow while being carted away by a vengeful dragon, BUT now they also lacked proof that could reverse their fugitive status. There would be no confession from Gaunt about her misdeeds that would clear the names of those that had defeated her. As this realization spread around the group, the celebratory air was weighed down.

“I know it’s a little late now, but what if we agreed to take some veritaserum?” Ches18 asked practically, sitting back on the grass.

Westpancake shook her head dejectedly. “They’d never believe the answers we gave. Veritaserum is only really useful when it’s administered unexpectedly to the recipient. Even if we had gone back the next morning after the Hogwarts attack, they could have said we had prepared for it. Maybe closed off our throat to prevent it from going down, or used some spell to counteract the effects.”

The pukwudgies and a disheveled William walked over to the wizards. Although he had some rope burns and a myriad of cuts and bruises, William seemed to be otherwise unharmed. Although he hadn’t made it back to speak with his mother-in-law in town, Gaunt had taken to gloating the entire time she had William captured. He was aware that not only was she the one to blame for his wife’s death, but that these wizards before him had cured the terrible disease she had unleashed upon his home. And now, they had gotten justice for his Stella.

He was in their debt twice over, and he hadn’t even met them yet. Now was his chance, but he suddenly found himself at a loss for words. “They’re just people,” he thought to himself. “Just people… who fight dragons. And evil. With sticks... that can control the elements…. Just wait until they finish their discussion and go for it. Make friends with these people.”

Tahm42 let out a sigh, settling down next her daughter. “Well, if there’s no other option, I’ve heard of an advanced magic that extracts memories so you can view them. What about that?”

Jgundz considered for a moment. “I think you’re referring to using a pensieve, but that’s not a common item most wizards have laying around. And that can still be tricked too. A wizard could extract the memory, and then alter it with magic.”

“We could let them extract it directly in person, but we’d have to find someone we trust to do it so they don’t alter it to make us look guilty. Too bad we don’t know who we can trust on the Wizarding Council,” Tmeadows_08 stated. “And even if we did know who to go to, I don’t know how we could safely get to them without being intercepted.”

“We could trust the Headmaster,” Yume said matter of factly.

West reeled at this statement coming from Yume. “What?? After all this?! You can’t be serious.”

Yume explained her thinking. “We know that the Headmaster is not in league with Gaunt because if he was, Gaunt wouldn’t have needed to take over the school. Yes, Headmaster Spectre made some stupid calls based on faulty evidence, but he’s a Hufflepuff. Just because he’s gifted at magic does not mean he’s gifted at critical thinking, and it is in a Hufflepuff’s nature to believe people are being honest until it’s proven otherwise. We just need to prove otherwise. He’s on the Wizarding Council. It could work.”

"But you're assuming we could even get close to him. Our faces were plastered all over in the Daily Prophet. We'd never be able to get to him so he could extract our memory without being intercepted," Lilsweetypie1992 said.

William realized this was something he could assist with, and spoke up. "I could do it."
    All eyes turned to him as the wizards remembered they weren't alone. "Do what?," Coop925 asked, puzzled how this No-Maj could help them.

"I can help prove your innocence. I'll go visit the person you need, and let her extract my memory," William offered. "That witch went on and on incessantly while she had me captured. I know what she's done to you, to my town. I saw her enchanting the dragon up close. I think I pretty much know it all, and if not all, at least enough. Wherever it is that I need to go, no one will be looking for someone like me. I can do it."

The wizards exchanged looks. Saeraphine spoke up first. "It could work actually. He's right. He's not known. And none of Gaunt's conspirators would be paying attention to a muggle."

“Yes, but how exactly would we get him there? How would we know he was safe? We can't send him in blind," Dapperwulf interjected.

"I uh, may have a friend who can help with that," Sinnybri volunteered with a smirk.

“Old Friends, Forever Friends

It had been two months since the wizards had bid farewell to William at the Dockside Alehouse before he'd left to clear the names of all of his newfound friends. In the couple of weeks before his departure, he had stayed with the group at the top of Mount Greylock, and had been given all the information he needed to navigate the wizarding world until he could meet up with Sinnybri's friend.

"When you first meet him, he may be a little intimidating. He's a giant, but he's a gentle giant who's a devoted family man. Just don't go spreading that information around, or Mike would never forgive me for ruining his disreputable reputation as a tough smuggler! He's definitely helped me out of some tough situations though. Once you go to this address, be on the lookout for a cow cat with a heart shaped mark on his left paw. That's Sir Arthur. He's the most gentlemanly cat you will ever meet, and whatever you do, do not laugh at his high-pitched meow. Treat him with respect and he'll lead you to Mike. Mike'll already have gotten my letter, so he'll know what to do," Sinnybri had explained.

“Righting a Wrong

It had been unclear how a wizard smuggler could help with getting to the Headmaster until Sinnybri revealed the secret to his smuggling success - he was an animagus who was able to transform into an owl, an animal whose presence at Hogwarts would go completely unnoticed. With some careful planning and sharp wits, he could guide William directly to the Headmaster's office unseen.

Now, William was returning after a whirlwind experience, hiking up Mount Greylock to the ruined shelter housing the wizards at the top. He'd written them a letter before he'd left Scotland detailing the progress that had been made and had sent it by the raven Mike had provided.

In the letter, he talked about how Headmaster Spectre had immediately proceeded to petrify William upon discovering him in his study, unfreezing just his mouth so William could explain his presence. Spectre didn’t unpetrify William until after having extracted and viewed the memory, but once he had, Hogwarts was a flurry of activity.

Furious at being duped, Spectre had rounded up the those in league with Gaunt at the school and thrown them into the dungeon. Breaking down in tears, the previously imperious’d Slytherin spy gathered the courage to confess, adding further proof of the innocence of those who had fled with a firsthand account of the night’s events. She had been released from the spell around the time that Gaunt had been defeated, but had continued to act like she was in league with the traitors for fear of her life. Now with the weight of the shame and guilt lifted, she could begin to heal from the terrible ordeal she had been through.

Soon after the action at Hogwarts, Spectre had taken William and the memory to the Wizarding Council itself, causing quite a stir by bringing in a muggle to the governing body. Those mentioned by Gaunt in the memory during her boastful ramblings were immediately seized.

“No!” one of the seized councilmen had cried indignantly. “It’s a lie! They must have altered his memories! They’re liars! Traitors to Hogwarts! We can’t allow them back at Hogwarts! They’ll corrupt the other students! They’ll-”

Headmaster Spectre had cast an unimpressed look the councilmen’s way. “Councillor, tell me something. Do you think me blind? Or just plain naive?” The councillor turned a violent shade of beetroot red. The headmaster continued, “I assure you, while you are loyal to Gaunt, my loyalty lies with my students.”

Looking to rest of the council, Spectre had announced, “We have made a grave error, one I intend to make amends for. Everyone has the right to their opinion, and of course you may feel free to voice yours, but it will not be on my, or this council’s time. We will be reaching out to these students, and if you truly feel this is something you cannot stand behind, please feel free not to return. After all, none of us would want to deal with the unpleasantness of having you removed by force now, would we?” She had smiled sunnily.

And with that, the group of fugitives had become known heroes, names officially cleared and even celebrated. They were now invited back to Hogwarts with a sincere apology from the Headmaster. William had reflected how he’d be disappointed to see the wizards go, but was happy that he had been able to help them and repay a small part of the peace they’d given his town.

He’d gotten to the top and stepped into the clearing, feeling a weird resistance as he did so. He looked around wondering what he’d just stepped through, when a figure zoomed high in the sky above him on a broom. It was My_Butt! She gave him a hearty wave before turning back around. The resistance he’d felt must have been some sort of notification spell. “It’s him! He’s back!,” My_Butt shouted, zooming back towards the shelter ruins…

Wait… William froze in place. Where the shelter ruins should have been now stood a sprawling castle of white-grey stone. This castle was not imposing and dark, like the towering Hogwarts that needed to brave the Scottish weather. This castle had a light and airy feel to it, with a multitude of windows all around to take in the spectacular mountain views. It was maybe three stories tall, punctuated with magnificently tall towers here and there, and was set up in a long V-shape to maximize space while utilizing natural light.

Flabbergasted, William began walking towards the castle. A structure like the one before him would usually take years to build, and these wizards had done it in a mere two months? He was astounded by what these wizards could accomplish together, and once again, felt a twinge of regret that they would be heading back to Hogwarts soon. How silly to build something so grand only to leave it behind.

“This is the Beginning

The wizards had begun to gather outside the castle at My_Butt’s news of William’s return. Dropping his pack, William was swept up in many hearty hugs and was the receiver of many thanks.

Beaming, William said, “I’m just really glad it all worked out, and that Headmaster Spectre didn’t curse me with something that had more permanent consequences! I’m so glad I could help you guys go home.”

“About that... we are so grateful for your help. We can now move freely and see our families without worrying about endangering them. However, once we received your letter, we realized - we don’t want to return,” Arielluma explained.

“There are so many people who could benefit from our help here,” Rbratt06 continued. "And there is so much we could learn too from the local tribes."

Dapperwulf nodded in agreement. “And, even with our names officially cleared, we would still have to deal with those who questioned our innocence. Not that we couldn’t correct them, mind you. We could easily put them in their rightful place, but who has the time to educate the sheeplike masses? It’ll be much more fun to educate those here, who are willing to learn.”

William asked in shock, “You’re really not going back?! And what do you mean, ‘educate those here’?”

Saeraphine laughed, “Did you really think we were going to live in this huge castle all by ourselves? We’re creating our own school of witchcraft. This...,” she said with a sweeping gesture, taking in the building behind her, “... is Ilvermorny, the first school of witchcraft and wizardry in the New World, founded entirely by Slytherin. It’s still a work in progress, but we can add on as we go.”

“There’s something special we want to show you,” Rbratt06 said, directing William’s attention to the tallest tower of Ilvermorny. “That is our Astronomy tower, now known as Stella’s Stele. We’ve dedicated it in the memory of those we have all lost too soon to the heavens.”

William, touched by this gesture by the wizards, took a moment to compose himself. When he was collected, he looked to the group with gratitude. “Well then,” he said with purpose, “You are going to need a liaison with the No-Maj community. And you’ll need a way to supply this place if you really are going to fill this with students. You don’t have a local wizarding community to support you like that Hogwarts does. So I volunteer my services as your local No-Maj representative and supplier of Ilvermorny. I saw some land near the base of the mountain that would be perfect for a nearby settlement. It also could become a central location in the trade routes as a stop on the way to Deerfield.”

Sue_01 looked at William with concern. “We appreciate the offer, surely. But you don’t need to uproot your whole life for us. We’re resourceful.”

“I was scouting for new opportunities while I was away and Gaunt hit our town. I have experience running a trading post, and I think this is fitting,” William supplied. “I want to do this.”

Saeraphine looked excited. “Then it’s settled. Ilvermorny would be delighted to have an alliance with William’s town. Once you decide what’s needed, we can send a few wizards to help you get started.”

William smirked. “I like that. Williamstown. I may use that.”

With that, a stern faced, wrinkled pukwudgie poked her head out of the front door. “There you all are. Lazy stick wavers, just standing around absorbing the sunshine, eh? This heap of rubble isn’t going to clean itself, now is it? Quit your lollygagging and get to it!”

Tmeadows08 sighed, “Yes, Grandmam. Coming.”

“Who is that?!” William asked in astonishment. “And wizards have chores?”

“The pukwudgies have decided we won’t survive without their assistance. That’s Urthbert’s grandmam. She is.... fiesty. I think I’d rather face Gaunt again rather than upset her…,” Talhonjik explained.

“Come on William. We’ll give you the grand tour. That’ll be a good enough excuse to escape Grandmam’s wrath for now,” laughed Vatrilla13, gesturing for William to follow inside.

As the group of friends, magic and no-maj alike began to start up the steps for Ilvermorny, Wind_luver pointed out into the distance, “Everyone! Look, the dragon!”

Over the forests in the distance, the dragon could be seen spiraling, basking in the warm sunlight of the afternoon sky. Since the wizards had freed him, he was seen more and more frequently as he recovered from his captivity. Sometimes he would circle around Ilvermorny, but as their protector in the sky, with no aggression in his movements.

So much had changed in such a short time, for all of them. As they took a moment to watch the graceful spirals of the dragon, there was a feeling in the air that hadn’t been present for a long time. A feeling of acceptance, camaraderie, and contentment.

A feeling of belonging.

Saeraphine threw open the entrance doors revealing the statues in a chamber within. “Welcome to Ilvermorny.”
    nataliavasilyeva-natvignetteone-2000small_1_orig.png
  • Saeraphine
    Options
    On to Term 1!