July 2017

Options
1skholloway
1skholloway Posts: 341 Member
Happy Independence Day! I hope everyone enjoys the day.

Replies

• 1skholloway
    Options
    For the second week in a row I have had a craving for a sandwich for lunch. Last week, I specifically wanted a ham sandwich. Today, I wanted lettuce and tomato on a sandwich. I don't usually eat bread. Thankfully Subway is nearby. It's my favorite fast-food restaurant. I so enjoyed their turkey breast sandwich today! Of course, a fresh garden tomato would have tasted better but you make do with what you can get.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I know it's just stress I have migraines again. My sister is coming in at the end of the week. She has no filter and it feels like the bull in the China shop.
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    I'm sorry for what you are going through right now @2020pinktogo . I have experienced migraines in the past. I pray for relief for you.
  • JanolaBarbara
    JanolaBarbara Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hello, 2020pinktogo and 1skholloway! Sorry for being absent, but I wasn't "ready" to get back on the wagon. After the scale showed me that I've regained 5lbs since returning home, I'm ready now!! XD

Exercise is not a problem for me. What I'm going to focus on is making good food choices and tracking my food. If I don't show a loss after 1 week, then I'll re-think everything.
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    Hello @JanolaBarbara ! It's good to hear from you! Making good food choices can be hard. Even if I eat the right food, I sometimes overeat and pay for it. I hope you see a loss very soon!
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    Sister is home she is taking mom tomorrow for a whole new hairstyle and coloring. :# I have decided to take my nephews to the pool. I don't want to be any part of the hair thing. I swear she just wants to make my life miserable. Good thing is I have set boundaries and I just pop in and out when I feel like I need to leave I just leave. Starting to make baby steps
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    @2020pinktogo good for you! Setting boundaries can be so hard but definitely worth it for sanity.
  • JanolaBarbara
    Options
    @2020pinktogo -- I hope everything works out for you. I'm glad you set your boundaries and then live by them. Great job!

@1skholloway -- Thanks for the encouragement. I'm the same; I do eat right but I also eat too much.

This week, I am giving up TV. I have NEVER given up watching TV my entire life!! Have I been without TV? Sure-- camping, traveling, etc. But I think not watching TV will help me to be more active and get more projects done, like my drawings and knitting.
  • JanolaBarbara
    Options
    Well, so far this week I am very proud of myself. Haven't watched TV and I've logged everything I've eaten. It's amazing how much cheese and chocolate I HAVE NOT eaten because I'm tracking! XD

How has your week been?
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    That's awesome @JanolaBarbara ! I just recently got tv back at my house after being without it for several years. I do sit and watch it some. I try to exercise during my favorite shows or do something like fold laundry. One of the reasons I got rid of it before was because I was wasting too much time sitting in front of it and there was nothing on worth watching. I don't read as much as I used to but I think that's because I have a shorter attention span. I am trying to read more.

My week is going pretty good! I have started doing Fitbit challenges with some online friends. Also, a couple of weeks ago I joined 2 online communities that offer exercise challenges. These really do help me exercise more. I'm not a competitive person by nature so I was unsure how I would like the Fitbit challenges. I am enjoying all of the challenges. I find now I really don't want to stop moving until I get at least 10,000 steps. Before I would stop at 8,000 steps. I often get more than 10,000 steps now.

Keep up the good work @JanolaBarbara ! @2020pinktogo , I'm thinking of you and hope you are doing well.
  • JanolaBarbara
    Options
    My 8yr-old niece arrived today. She's very sweet and good-natured. She's staying for a week and my husband and I are both glad to have time with her. But, I know it's going to throw a wrench in my exercise schedule, to say the least. Now I get to deal with the challenges that full-time parents face all the time! XD

@1skholloway -- The Fitbit challenges do sound like a fun way to get you moving. I almost bought one a couple of years ago. I also tried to limit how much tv I watched, or made sure I was doing _something_ while watching. But, half an hour easily turned into one hour, and then to 90 min so I decided to cut it out for the week. I'll re-examine my tv watching once my niece is gone.
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    @JanolaBarbara I hope you hare having a good time with your niece. I bet she will keep your time filled. I hope you can find some things to do that will keep you cool.

I wanted to walk outdoors last night but the heat index was 101. I do not like to sweat. I walked indoors instead. It will probably be a while before I walk outdoors again.

I hope everyone has a great week!
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    Today was rough I dressed pretty. :# come to find out I was one of the bag deposit people I spent the whole day standing in pretty sandals. Let's just say my feet are killing me. When I am a regular teller I can sit and all goes well. Bags I need to stand and have things just so. My boss goes she knows exactly what I am doing by my position. Though today when I came in she goes oh boy long day for you we switched up the schedule. All I thought was well it could have been worse thank goodness it was sandals and not heels I was wearing. I really need to get a pair of neutral loafers kind of dressy but really comfy. ;) Leave them in the car just in case.
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    I'm a little stressed today and I just want to eat! :s Everything is going to be ok, I just have to rein in my impulse to stress eat.
  • JanolaBarbara
    Options
    @1skholloway -- I hope you are a bit less stressed right now! With my niece here, I totally understand why some folks eat at night. It is so relaxing and comforting to eat once she's down (and DH is also in bed); it's how I want to spend quality time with myself! I tried to set limits, but I know I've gained this week. She leaves tomorrow so less stress/busy = less impulse to eat.

@2020pinktogo -- Yikes! I hope you soaked your feet, or at least got a chance to lie down with your feet up for a bit.

As predicted, I was unable to exercise as much as I usually do, but I did manage to get in a walk everyday, even if it was with niece and DH. A couple of times they were playing together and that gave me 30-40 min to go on a nice, little walk (alone). I really felt better after that! She leaves tomorrow, and I'm giving myself the rest of the week "off" so that I can exercise and garden, basically take care of myself and recover. A nephew is coming over for a visit in another 2 1/2 weeks!!
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    Thanks @JanolaBarbara ! I got the issue resolved that day. I just let one of life's inconveniences stress me.

I'm glad you will take care of yourself. That's important!

Apparently I picked up a stomach bug or something. I stayed home yesterday but I went to work today. Thankfully, I don't hurt much. It wasn't bad enough for me to go to the doctor yesterday and I thought it would go away quickly. I hope this goes away quickly. One good thing about it is I may get out of going somewhere tomorrow without feeling guilty if I am still having problems. :p
  • JanolaBarbara
    Options
    @1skholloway -- Gee, I hope your better today and still get out of going somewhere!

Well, yesterday I had a pretty good day, tracked almost all of my food (like 90%) and drank all my water. Today is a friend's birthday party, which lasts all day and includes a catered yacht cruise on the water. o_O So, I know I have to focus on the people, not the food. Hopefully there'll be some tasty salads and diet soda.

Yesterday I started doing time-restricted eating, meaning you only eat within an 8-12 hr window. Doesn't sound so hard, but last night I learned that I do a lot of nibbling in the evening as I'm cleaning up the kitchen. I caught myself before I actually ate anything, as my "window" had closed, but it opened my eyes to this bad habit I must've been in denial over. So, sounds like this'll help me in my journey.
  • 1skholloway
    Options
    @JanolaBarbara thanks for the thoughts. I did feel some better yesterday but didn't go to the event due to illness. So far today, I am better so maybe this is just about over.

Good for you on tracking your food and drinking your water! It can be a hard habit to get in to doing.

The party sounds like fun but for me, it could also be very tempting to make unwise food choices. You are wise to plan to focus on people and not food!

Your idea of time - restricted eating is different from what I have heard of before. I like it but don't know that it would work well for me. Some evenings I get home late or I eat after exercise. I'm glad it's helping you to see habits you want to change.

At my office, we draw names and everyone has a birthday party for someone in the office. This year, my day is July 29. Each person can do what they like - purchase a cake, make something homemade, decorate a lot, etc. I talked to the birthday person and she suggested 2 flavors she likes - pineapple or peanut butter. I decided to make an easy peanut butter cake with peanut butter frosting and a slow cooker pineapple cherry dump cake. Since I don't cook much, particularly sweets, I decided I needed to do a test run for the cakes. I have them both cooking right now. I will take them to church and let the people there eat them so I won't have them around the house.

I have been attending a different church for a few weeks. They might get the impression that I cook a lot. LOL!!!! I just need guinea pigs!

A family friend was recently trying to perfect a cake recipe and she kept throwing her failed attempts in the yard for the birds to eat. I was appalled at the wasted food, particularly by this woman. I think the cakes were probably fine to eat, she just wasn't pleased with the outcome. I have heard a person say she would take extra food to a nearby fire station. I thought that was a great idea. I brain stormed about what to do with my trial run cakes and finally decided to take them to church.

Over the last few months I had gained 6 pounds. I had lost enough that I could afford to gain a few pounds and still be ok with my weight. It wasn't a big deal but I wasn't happy about the gain because I didn't know why I was gaining. I was eating within my caloric intake and exercising. I think eating late in the evening was part of the reason for the gain. Also, I may have been eating more calories than my body was using. I think I have a really slow metabolism and I know programs such as MFP allow too many calories for me. Without changing much, just trying not to eat late in the evening and having a smaller snack after exercise, I have lost the 6 pounds! Honestly, I wasn't necessarily trying to lose the weight but just to not gain anymore weight. I have never successfully been in maintenance for this long before. It has been a challenge for me to figure out how much I can eat and how much I need to exercise. For me, this is more than a scale victory. I guess I would call it a maintenance victory. I am pleased and hope that I can continue to maintain my current weight.

I hope everyone has a good day. I have chores I need to do after church. Yesterday, I allowed myself to finish a good book instead of doing chores. It was sort of a self help book but it was still a luxury to just sit and read until I finished it. It was so good though I didn't want to put it down. Today, I need to get some stuff done.
  • JanolaBarbara
    Options
    @1skholloway -- Congratulations on the maintenance victory! Our bodies are very complex, and part of our journey is to understand our own special bodies. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Also, what used to work may not work anymore. That's why I'm trying the time-restricted eating. I eat normally, same types of food and normal calorie intake. I just stop eating after a certain interval. This article talks a little bit more about it.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    I too can't follow time restraints especially on Fri when we work our 12 hour days. 7/7 stinks but I try to eat lighter when I do get home.