Can I Get My Gain Under Control???

Options
2»

Replies

• polargirl5
    polargirl5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    19 weeks here, 20 lbs gained already. With my first 2 I gained about 30-35lbs.
  • phreekles
    phreekles Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've been worrying about gaining too much too quickly as well and was reading about the NHS guidelines to how much you shoukd eat during pregnancy (I live in the uk). They now recommend to eat you're maintenance calories for your pre-pregnancy weight and only add 200 calories during the third trimester. Since following this method I've been coming up with ways to make the calories more filling (swapping junk food for whole fruits/vegs and cutting out sugary drinks). So far my heart burn has completely disappeared and each week I've either maintained or lost weight. I would highly recommend it!
  • 1fit_mamma
    1fit_mamma Posts: 101 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    So comforting to read I am not the only one, thanks for sharing everyone!

I am up 9lb at 14.5 weeks, and as I started with a BMI of 29 it's way over where I should be at this stage. I also went carb crazy in first trimester (and lots of them!) to stave away nausea, and now I'm in a habit of eating junk and not working out much and I feel terrible for it.

Plan now is to focus on whole foods, tracking at maintenancec, working out 3xweek (pump and prenatal Pilates) plus 10k steps per day. I was doing more than this pre-pregnancy so I know my body can cope.

How has everyone gone with their weight gain since first posting? Has it slowed?? Hope you're enjoying your pregnancies regardless :)
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! You can definitely come back strong after the first trimester. I was feeling nauseous everyday and the only thing I wanted to eat was bread and Mac and cheese. I also stopped working out consistently and slept a lot. We the. Moved into our new house and with renovations we were mostly eating takeout. I was about 20 pounds up at 20 weeks and I could definitely see that the weight wasn't all baby. My clothes fit differently on my arms, legs, and chest.

Around that time I failed my 1 hour glucose test and was lectured a little bit by my doctor ( she recommends to shoot for a 25 pound gain). I started going back to the gym regularly and walking my dog everyday about a mile on hills. I also started eating much better. I'm now at week 32 with only about 3 more pounds up. Baby is measuring right on target and I have passed my second glucose test with no issues. All my vitamins and nutrients also seem to be on track. My clothes actually fit better (other than my stomach, of course) I eat a TON of veggies as well as fruit, yogurt, and lean meat. I do also splurge occasionally but try to stick to healthy foods 80% of the time. I've also noticed that the exercise helps with my mood and reduces back pain, so that's a plus!
    what exercises are you doing at the gym?

i'm gonna rev myself up to do long walk and/or gym tomorrow. tonight i'm doing a bit of yoga.
  • SaritaJack
    SaritaJack Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! You can definitely come back strong after the first trimester. I was feeling nauseous everyday and the only thing I wanted to eat was bread and Mac and cheese. I also stopped working out consistently and slept a lot. We the. Moved into our new house and with renovations we were mostly eating takeout. I was about 20 pounds up at 20 weeks and I could definitely see that the weight wasn't all baby. My clothes fit differently on my arms, legs, and chest.

Around that time I failed my 1 hour glucose test and was lectured a little bit by my doctor ( she recommends to shoot for a 25 pound gain). I started going back to the gym regularly and walking my dog everyday about a mile on hills. I also started eating much better. I'm now at week 32 with only about 3 more pounds up. Baby is measuring right on target and I have passed my second glucose test with no issues. All my vitamins and nutrients also seem to be on track. My clothes actually fit better (other than my stomach, of course) I eat a TON of veggies as well as fruit, yogurt, and lean meat. I do also splurge occasionally but try to stick to healthy foods 80% of the time. I've also noticed that the exercise helps with my mood and reduces back pain, so that's a plus!

This is so encouraging! I'm only a few weeks in, and doing okay, but I'm two pounds higher from vacation, and on the days I feel sick the only thing I can handle are carbs and protein (usually just chicken). I'm having a hard time getting veggies in, and I'm so tired that I haven't exercised more than one walk so far. I feel like maybe I'm on the upswing already (or maybe it was just a good day), but my calorie counting makes me sad. And the fact that I'm not going to meet my weight goals when I wanted to (although of course the baby is worth it).

Anyway, the hope that I can get this under control and eat well and exercise again soon was just what I needed this evening! Thank you for sharing!