Treadmill vs. Outdoor Running Shoes Question

EHollander89
EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
Do you wear different shoes when you run on the treadmill compared to the shoes you wear during your outdoor runs? I mostly run outside on pavement/paved trails at parks, but I've been using the treadmill more since the temperature has been so high lately. My outdoor shoes were fitted at a running store and are a full size larger than my normal street shoes. When I wear them on the treadmill, I feel kind of clunky. And my heel inserts seem to shift around a bit. I'm thinking about getting another pair of shoes for my treadmill runs. Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated!

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    IMO, your shoes should fit well no matter if running on a dreadmill or outdoors. I wonder if your sizing is incorrect and you just notice it more indoors???

FWIW, when I'm forced on the dreadmill :# I wear the same shoes.
  • EHollander89
    My shoes feel good when I run outside. I think I might go back to the running store and talk to them about it. Maybe get my next pair a 1/2 size smaller and see how that works out.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    If my shoes felt funny while running on the dreadmill, I'd interpret that as one more reason to avoid the dreadmill. I certainly don't want to use a dreadmill enough to justify dreadmill-specific shoes.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I wear different shoes for the treadmill because it is the easiest way to ensure I have clean shoes. I use the treadmill for running at the gym before lifting weights on weight lifting days. The runs are shorter - usually only 3 miles - and double as a warm-up to get my heart rate elevated before lifting weights. Since it is at a gym treadmill where others workout, I try to be especially careful about having clean shoes.

Having said all of that... the shoes I wear are the exact same brand and model as my road shoes. The only difference is color. I use shoes with a different design / different features for running technical trails.
  • EHollander89
    Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll visit one of the other running stores in the area to see what they think about the fit of my shoes and if I need to try another style or size. I'm getting ready to start training for my fall half, and I want to make sure I have comfortable, well-fitting shoes!
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    I wear the same shoes for treadmill workouts as for outdoor runs. Sometimes I'll wear cross trainers on the treadmill instead of running shoes, usually that's when I'm also going to lift weights.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    I have about 5 pairs of shoes I rotate, from trail shoes to cushioned long run shoes to every day easy run shoes. For the TM I wear one of the less cushioned pairs, unless I'm running long, but I don't restrict them to the TM.