Any diabetics in the LGBT community?

Options
MommyRuns12
MommyRuns12 Posts: 13 Member
I'm type 2 and off medications. I was on metformin until my liver had enough and they switched me to insulin injections. I've been off insulin by diet and exercise since August 2016. I'm a lesbian from NY. I'd love to connect with any diabetics in the forum for added sugar control advice, exercise and diet convos.

Please add me! :)

Replies

• shellinut
    shellinut Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am pre-diabetic but my wife is diabetic (on insulin). We are both trying to eat better to get off insulin (prevent me from ever going on it).
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    my ex wife was diagnosed adult onset type 1 and went on insulin; so I'm familiar with diabetes.

That's awesome you were able to get off insulin with diet and exercise. Keep it up!!!
  • kylaaimee
    kylaaimee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Diabetic here. Type 2 annnddd struggling! Feel free to add me
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm type 2 and off medications. I was on metformin until my liver had enough and they switched me to insulin injections. I've been off insulin by diet and exercise since August 2016. I'm a lesbian from NY. I'd love to connect with any diabetics in the forum for added sugar control advice, exercise and diet convos.

Wow! What an inspiration! My wife is also on insulin and wants to get off and I am prediabetic and hoping to stay off insulin (Shellinut, you wrote my experience exactly). It is good to know that getting free of the medications is possible. Thank you for sharing your story.

• tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm type 2, and on insulin. I don't think I'll be getting off it, but I'm definitely hoping to use less, and to manage my blood sugars better.
  • sbthompson67
    sbthompson67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a well-controlled type 2. Sometimes I can even get my A1C down to 5.9, so I'd love to get off meds altogether. Been doing Victoza for a couple years. It's insanely expensive even with insurance.
  • kylaaimee
    kylaaimee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Heya, Im type 2, lost control of my numbers, wasnt doing enough, and went on Met 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks of stringent sugar and carb control. So far okay.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am also adult onset type 1 which is called LADA, type 1.5 technically. I have been on my journey, back on my journey for 3 weeks. I have been doing well and my insulin went from 65 units of lantus to 20, and 8 units of novolog to 3. Things have been much better. Always here for friends
  • sgriska
    sgriska Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm type 2, on metformin. My A1C has been pretty good since I've been dieting, so hoping to get off of it soon.
  • stobin68
    stobin68 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    yup. type 2 here. diagnosed in 2014 with A1C of 10, got it down and managed for a few years with diet and exercise and only the occasional finger prick. Then I got a little too lax in 2017 and sure enough, my numbers have started to creep up again (A1C = 7). so i'm back on the case and keeping a closer eye this time. Hoping i can go without meds, but we'll see. I feel like the world just wants to feed us carbs, carbs, carbs, and the docs just want to give us pills, pills, pills.
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Insulin resistant, medicated, candy lover :(:):(
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Please add me! :)

Type 2 on insulin pump. Add me if you like
  • samantharosebouwman20
    Options
    Hello! I'm new to the group. I was diagnosed Type 2 about a week and a half ago. I'm starting my metformin today :smile:
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new to the group. I was diagnosed Type 2 about a week and a half ago. I'm starting my metformin today :smile:

Hiiiiii!
    On Metformin for more years than I can remember :D