Knee Pain

Options
davepete57
davepete57 Posts: 33 Member
I have been having problem with knee pain when i do long runs. I I run over 8 miles my right knee starts to ache. It will last for 6 to 8 hours after the run and then go away. It does not happen on shorter runs no matter what intensity. any thoughts?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    See a physio
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    It could be a little bit of nothing, it could be something serious. If it is a recurring thing, it might be worth seeing a physical therapist (American term equivalent to British/Canadian physio) to be checked out. The PT can evaluate how everything works together and where your weak areas are. The problem causing the knee to ache might not be in the knee.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Same here, though it is even short runs. It started after running some hills. Ibuprofen and a knee brace have helped, but I've noticed I've clearly slowed down. It's been a month now, so I'm thinking of seeing someone as well.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,694 Member
    Options
    The thing I've discovered with knee pain in runners, is that the knee is often not the problem but just where the problem is making itself heard. Knee pain can be the result of foot (or shoe), calf, quad, hammie, hip or back issues. Occasionally, it's the knee. I'd recommend seeing an osteopath help pinpoint what is causing the pain. Good luck.
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I've no answer for you. I've been on a training regiment since December and last Tuesday night my knee became sore. I didn't get my Wed, Thur, or today's run in as planned. It is depressing. Yesterday I finally bought an ACE bandage and iced it, and wrapped it for a couple of hours.

RICE....

I can't sit with a bag of ice on my knee multiple times a day. How much icing is needed to have it be effective?
    Also, after an hour or so I unwrapped the Ace bandage, should I just leave it on? For a few hours? A few days? Many days?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Ice, like heat, is usually 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off.

I usually get knee pain when my shoes are getting old. That can be either my running shoes or my every day shoes. Worn out shoes don't give the proper support and can hurt. Tight hips can also cause problems down the chain. Look up Myrtl exercises. They can help.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I saw someone earlier this week about my knee issue. The guy was really good... just a GP I've not seen before, but I explained symptoms and timeline, he examined my knee and found a bursa issue. Then he said, "I bet you probably put on a new pair of shoes around the end of Feb." I had not even considered that. So we made a recovery plan that included swapping shoes back to something like what was working before, slow increases in mileage, a cold pack, stretching afterwards, and ibuprofen after runs (not before because it might block pain signals while running that I need to be aware of). I'm optimistic.
  • zainabmusa1
    zainabmusa1 Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Pay attention to that pain! Does chronic inflammation (arthritis) run on your parents or grand parents sides of the family?
    It runs in my family, I had similar symptoms to which you described. Last year Ibran an average of 9mi a week. Once I increased to 15mpw. these symptoms set in. An MRI revealed that I was running with a small medical meniscus tear!