Another new Saxenda user...

Options
Hello! I started Saxenda on 7/19, so this is a new journey for me. I was hoping to pursue VSG, but my psych provider was not willing to sign off on it due to my eating disorder history. My PCP prescribed the Saxenda. I am an RN, so I have no needle fear, and injecting it into my abdomen has not been a problem at all.

My s/e have been minimal. I ate couscous on day 2 and got incredibly bloated, and that did not abate until the next day. But I have not had nausea or other GI issues. A little bit of heartburn. Drastically decreased appetite and lack of any cravings. I work 12 hour shifts and have had to force myself to eat when I get home from work. So far, I am cautiously optimistic that this could be a long-term tool for me to use.

Replies

• PermissionGranted
    PermissionGranted Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hello Phoenix11rising. So, Saxenda has worked really well for me. I'm also an RN and am also overcoming an eating disorder. I don't have side effects usually. I have found that I did get a bad headache and nausea when I started my workout plan because I wasn't eating enough. As far as a long term tool, it's imperative to realize that hard work along with the medication is where the results come from. I suffer from binge eating disorder so when I realized that I could still have a binge episode on the medication, I got discouraged and slipped back to my own habits. Currently, I am doing much better, I'm really active, I'm following my meal plans and utilizing counseling so that I'm dealing with the root cause of my eating disorder and not just the by product of over eating. I wish you luck and positivity on your journey. I don't mind checking in with each other from time to time to make sure that we are doing well.
  • phoenix11rising
    phoenix11rising Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding! I have actually been in therapy for about 5 1/2 years, and a lot of that has centered around BED. I first started seeing my therapist when I was going through my divorce, and then we started to unpack all my "baggage," and let's just say I have learned a lot about myself. I have been binge-free for a while, but I also sometimes veer in the other direction, so I have to stay honest with myself so that my lack of appetite does not turn into lack of eating. I have not had time to add in a ton of exercise yet, but that is one of my goals.
  • fitjerseygirl
    fitjerseygirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, I am in the same boat (although not an RN!) I started my first dose of Saxenda today and haven't felt any reactions so far - positive or negative. We'll see what the next week brings. This will be my third time losing a significant amount of wait and I also have my issues with binge eating and emotional eating. I am hoping this med will help me get on track to start losing for good.
  • Kellyreen
    Kellyreen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am hoping to be starting this soon. I went to the Dr and had a physical last week and decided to see about this. I'm still waiting on my insurance to approve it. I am also an RN was a little nervous about trying a diabetic medication, but I have been stuck for so long I can't take it anymore. I need something to change, and I'm hoping this is it.
  • Kellyreen
    Kellyreen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just took my first dose a few hours ago. Someone told me to take before bed to avoid some side effects. They said sometimes you can sleep through the worst of the nausea. It's only been a few hours so nothing really yet lol I'm just excited and nervous for what's to come. I hope we are all super successful with the help of saxenda.