Handle your 3 S's
Get Moving
Daylights burning

Replies

• LeonardRing
    LeonardRing Posts: 4,678 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,
    Composite decking runs 2 - 3 times cost of pressure treated lumber here, but is guaranteed 50 or more years.
    Heavy rain overnight and driving in this morning. Predicting rain through weekend; at least we have cooler temps.
    Today is my Friday.
    Enjoy the Day,
    Sam I am
  • shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,155 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

For three years, I was the plant controller for Elk Composite Building Products. We made composite deck boards at this plant. This was part of Elk Roofing, and is now owned by GAF. I can vouch. Composite decking may be more expensive, but certainly worth it, in terms of wear. Don't cheap out! Not all composite decking is made equally. You do get what you pay for. Biggest thing, I'd suggest is to look at composition of the board. If it uses polypropylene, the boards will be more stiff. Myself, I like that. If it uses polyethylene, the boards will be more flexible. Likewise, as the boards are roughly 50% wood, 45% plastic, and 5% color, look for boards made with oak flour, as opposed to a "softer" wood, such as maple or pine. The boards all wear roughly the same, but if companies tried to save costs by using less color (the most expensive ingredient), the boards may fade in bright sun. If the company uses more than 50% wood flour, the boards will be more brittle, and may break more quickly. Some companies put UV additives in their boards. This will help with sun fade, and will also tell you that the company is not so interested in cheaping out.

Have a great day!
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,982 Member
    Options
    Good morning gentlemen

Challenging hike yesterday: 16.5 miles with just under 4,000 feet of climbing. My feet are sore,today. I think it's time for new insoles in my hiking shoes.

Continued heat and bad air, here. The Canadian smoke just won't blow away. No views at all on my hike yesterday. I could barely see the next ridgeline. We're supposed to get a weather change Friday.

I'm glad our back deck and front porch are covered, Sam. Ouir wood deck will last as long as the house - and I can barbecue when it's raining. The composite decking is supposed to be really easy to live with, though; low maintenance.
  • wethlaw
    wethlaw Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Morning Men. Beautiful day here in the Northeast and hoping to get a chance to enjoy it some. Hope all are well.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,598 Member
    Options
    Good Morning. We ripped our rotting deck out 5 years ago and went with pavers. There was sticker shock but it was worth it.

DW & I took a cooking class on Tapas last night. Between the amount of food we tasted, the amount of oil used in cooking and the late hour my stomach was not thrilled by bedtime which was special because I was suddenly wide awake. But all this was kept company by a nerve pain flare up in my lower leg and foot. First one in quite a while. It took several hours to get it back to "normal levels". Good times. Nice summer weather continues so since I didn't make it to morning lap swim I will enjoy a short walk today and work on more back stuff.
  • manladdvm
    manladdvm Posts: 8,718 Member
    Options
    Afternoon gents.

John is not lying, it is cool, sunny, and very comfortable here in CT today.

Great info on composite decking, Steve. Who knew?

Very impressive hike, Dave.

Be OP ;-)