So sick and tired of the size 14 club!

Options
JulieAntler
JulieAntler Posts: 28 Member
I am 45, size 14 pants size, 6 feet tall. In my early twenties I was size 3 at my tiniest. Yes, ridiculous for every day weight. Honestly, I need to stay focused and drop this weight! It seems like I have lost a little but always have gone back to size 14. I wonder if this is where most 6 foot tall women are? Is it that crazy? Ideally, I would be happy at size 8/9. But I am wondering if that is just too unrealistic? Wondering what my other tall friends are sized at, because really it isn't like I can go to work and find other girls my size that I can chat with :).

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1 and currently an AU18 (sometimes 16) which is a US 14 (sometimes 12 :D ), so around the same size as you. I don't think I'm going to sit at this size forever at all. I expect that I'll probably end up being an AU 12 by the time I'm done (I doubt I'll get to a 10).

I think in the end, it's a combination of your body shape, and whatever size you end up at whilst living a lifestyle you're happy with.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and currently usually a size 16, sometimes 14 or 12 depending on the brand. I spent most of my teenage years wearing size 7 or 9 (and that was after I'd reached my full height) and for a very brief time I wore a size 11/12 as an adult. Of course with vanity sizing that size 12 I used to wear is more like a size 6 or 8 today. I'm hoping to get to a size 10. I have fairly wide hips, even when I'm super thin, so I don't think I can realistically expect to be a size 8. I'm still about 30 lbs away from my BMI being in the normal range though so at this point I'm really not sure what is realistic for a size goal.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'3 and have never been below a size 16 in my adult life. That's at about 200lbs, which is my goal weight.
  • Makkie155
    Makkie155 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and a uk size 16, about a US size 12. I weigh in at 237lbs, hoping to get down to 155 and a size 6/8 US.
  • kjinkij3
    kjinkij3 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm confused by some of these posts, especially the ones converting UK to US sizing...I'm 5'11" 195lbs and I am wearing a size 16 US. When I weighed 155lbs (my goal) I was a size 10. I couldn't squeeze myself into a 12 right now to save my life!
  • gunnerslove77
    gunnerslove77 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Maybe if we used inches instead of dress sizes it would be a whole lot easier. I get confused with converting from uk to us. My waist now is 30 inches and i want to be 27.5 inches again.. honestly don't think I could go smaller without looking I'll. I'm 5ft 9 and currently 170lbs
  • JulieAntler
    JulieAntler Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. It's nice to hear most people our height are fairly in the same size range, while it sounds like most of us still are trying to drop a few sizes or at least one. It's nice to discuss this with women who have a similar build. Thank you all for posting! I am currently following the south beach diet and slowly dropping weight, and enjoying life while I am doing it! Have a great weekend.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I think that sizing can be deceptive with taller women - most of us have frames that are not only scaled up in height, but also somewhat in width. I am also 6'. My shoulders and pelvis are both wider than your average 5'4" woman, which is understandable. Some tall women have narrow frames and can more easily dip in to the sub 10 sizes. I have a 6' friend who was a very athletic college basketball player and she said her smallest size was 10/12 at about 165 lbs - her pelvis was wide enough to make it very difficult to go lower. It's also important to remember that our fat distribution changes as we age - our smallest size as teens/young adults may not be realistic. My last round of losing weight I got to 190 and was wearing 12/14.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much about size! I have kind of stalled out at around 12/14 sometimes higher. As @lalepepper said, usually us taller women have wider bone structures (some don't) but that requires a bigger size. I am 6'2" & I think even if I lost a ton of weight, I'd still be about a size 8. Even as a teen I was in bigger sizes once my hips started growing lol. Number sizes are so inconsistent anyway, they are frustrating!
  • ariel1116
    ariel1116 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I'm in that size now and I'm ecstatic! I used to be a size 20
  • LiveBreathe
    LiveBreathe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5'11'' in height and my current weight is 173lbs and yes my clothing size is right around a 14 depending on the style of the clothing.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    kjinkij3 wrote: »
    I'm confused by some of these posts, especially the ones converting UK to US sizing...I'm 5'11" 195lbs and I am wearing a size 16 US. When I weighed 155lbs (my goal) I was a size 10. I couldn't squeeze myself into a 12 right now to save my life!

At that height and weight, I wear size US 8S jeans, maybe a bit smaller...M or L top as long is it is tall sized. I have a loooooong torso and short legs.

Bodies are weird, clothing sizes are all over the place.

OP, do you do weight training?
  • aWildFlowere
    aWildFlowere Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    At 6'2" I hover btwn 14/16 and want to get back to a size 12 for sure but doubtfully back to a size 10. I am both weight training hard, eliptical biking 3x a week plus waking every other day. Looking for tall friends here to stay motivated as discuss our challenges as our height plays a factor in muscle development type for one. I don't need to be a bodybuilder, fitness model skinny and definitely not runway or print model skinny anymore as I am approaching 50 soon. Tight, strong, fit and healthy is ageless.