Cravings

Options
4legsRbetterthan2
4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
edited May 2017 in Social Groups
Thought it would be fun to see if anyone is having any weird cravings ( and thought it was odd this thread didn't already exist in the pregnant lady forums!).

I haven't had many but the past day I have been obsessed with orange juice.

Replies

• Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Thought it would be fun to see if anyone is having any weird cravings ( and thought it was odd this thread didn't already exist in the pregnant lady forums!).

I haven't had many but the past day I have been obsessed with orange juice.

With my first I couldn't get enough OJ. I was the chick that bought a gallon at the store and opened it and started drinking it straight from the gallon in the car! That and pancakes. But this time around I haven't really had many cravings - other than sweets lately. (And I craved those with #1 as well) Which is not good for the scale, let me tell ya!

• wantoldme
    wantoldme Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am middle eastern and have always liked food from all over mostly just good ol' American food. However this pregnancy (my first child) all I want is middle eastern (Afghan) food. Too bad I can't cook that many middle eastern foods and my mom is 4 hours away. I haven't told my family yet will tell them this week.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    wantoldme wrote: »
    I am middle eastern and have always liked food from all over mostly just good ol' American food. However this pregnancy (my first child) all I want is middle eastern (Afghan) food. Too bad I can't cook that many middle eastern foods and my mom is 4 hours away. I haven't told my family yet will tell them this week.

maybe mom will be excited and send you food all the time :smile:
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    edited May 2017
    Options

With my first I couldn't get enough OJ. I was the chick that bought a gallon at the store and opened it and started drinking it straight from the gallon in the car! That and pancakes. But this time around I haven't really had many cravings - other than sweets lately. (And I craved those with #1 as well) Which is not good for the scale, let me tell ya!

I almost did a notorious pregnant lady 1am run for orange juice the other night, but I didn't. It was a little maddening though, and completely out of the blue. I rarely drink OJ just because I prefer not to drink my calories, but the past 2 days I have drank half a bottle.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options

I almost did a notorious pregnant lady 1am run for orange juice the other night, but I didn't. It was a little maddening though, and completely out of the blue. I rarely drink OJ just because I prefer not to drink my calories, but the past 2 days I have drank half a bottle.

I would drink the Tropicana 50. I didn't really watch calories with the first either (managed to only gain 30-35). I've been better this time around (about 20 pounds at 35 weeks). I haven't been logging the last month or so - I need to get back to it... these sweets man! Why can't I crave something like water or raw veggies?
  • wantoldme
    Options
    wantoldme wrote: »

maybe mom will be excited and send you food all the time :smile:

My mom is so sweet every time I go down to see her or she comes up she makes me enough food for two weeks. But it's strange my baby is so middle eastern that the baby craves Afghan food. Before I always loved Mexican or Italian. Now anything Afghan I want.
  • wantoldme
    Options

I would drink the Tropicana 50. I didn't really watch calories with the first either (managed to only gain 30-35). I've been better this time around (about 20 pounds at 35 weeks). I haven't been logging the last month or so - I need to get back to it... these sweets man! Why can't I crave something like water or raw veggies?

You guys have to go to Middle East for the sheer fact that the fruit juices must have crack in them. I never was into juices I always prefer fresh fruit instead. Over seas the juices blow the juices we have here out of the water. I used to drink the orange juice like I was addicted to it (and I wasn't pregnant).
  • Ismeme
    Ismeme Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm a weird one and crave fresh fruits and veggies... apples, carrots, strawberries, zucchini, portabella mushrooms, etc... It has made it harder to gain what I should, but OB says baby is fine even with my very slow gain. He laughed and said it is much better to crave what I am than things like pizza :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    Ismeme wrote: »
    I'm a weird one and crave fresh fruits and veggies... apples, carrots, strawberries, zucchini, portabella mushrooms, etc... It has made it harder to gain what I should, but OB says baby is fine even with my very slow gain. He laughed and said it is much better to crave what I am than things like pizza :)

Its funny because I hear that more and more, and most of my cravings have been fruit related too, maybe the old ice cream adage is outdated?
  • marianlyn
    marianlyn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Mine is kinda the opposite of a craving, but food related. Starting a couple days before I found out I was pregnant, anything dairy started to make me bloat and have gas. Very painful bloating. And I wasn't eating blocks of cheese--a couple homemade biscuits (made with butter and milk) would make me feel off. I don't usually eat tons of dairy, and previous pregnancies have actually made it easier to eat more dairy. Anyone else have this issue?
    @wantoldme I visited Morocco once and LOVED the orange juice there! And I have never been a fan of orange juice. We kept going back for more. Yum!
  • wantoldme
    Options
    marianlyn wrote: »
    Mine is kinda the opposite of a craving, but food related. Starting a couple days before I found out I was pregnant, anything dairy started to make me bloat and have gas. Very painful bloating. And I wasn't eating blocks of cheese--a couple homemade biscuits (made with butter and milk) would make me feel off. I don't usually eat tons of dairy, and previous pregnancies have actually made it easier to eat more dairy. Anyone else have this issue?
    @wantoldme I visited Morocco once and LOVED the orange juice there! And I have never been a fan of orange juice. We kept going back for more. Yum!

Yes juice from the Middle East is surprisingly addictive. Lol

I noticed that I'm suddenly allergic to a lot of garlic. The mere thought of Thai food or heavily garliced Italian food makes me sick. I hate when I can even smell garlic on anyone know it makes me puke.
  • SaritaJack
    SaritaJack Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was really crazy about chicken for a week or two before I got home and started taking prenatal vitamins. Now chicken always sounds good, but I'm not so insane over it. I had some cravings for potatoes with my first pregnancy, and I can't remember what it was I really enjoyed with my second, but I have never experienced anything like the chicken craving! I went shopping and half of what I bought was chicken, haha.
  • karen_thinmint
    karen_thinmint Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else not have noticeable cravings? Like I'm plenty hungry, but i never know what i want, but i know what i dont want lol.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,072 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else not have noticeable cravings? Like I'm plenty hungry, but i never know what i want, but i know what i dont want lol.

This exactly!

It's like "Oh I know! I'll have- actually no."

But when I'm not like that it's banana milk and Branston pickle and cheese sandwiches!
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    craved white rice my whole first tri and anything squishy white. whitest of white bread soft not at all firm. pasta would do in a pinch. averse to proteins. now it's like i'll eat a lot of variety all the time but very indecisive. but when i need food INEED food :)