Bridging Program 10k - How are you getting on?

Options
tinkerbellang83
tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
For those of you who have completed the 5k program.....

Replies

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Well after the 4.3mile run 2 weeks ago - and being ill between and having massive thigh DOMS today

mate and I are doing a 5mile tonight. Bricking it slightly - but is not even a mile more, we got this. Maybe.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Sure you'll be fine, we all feel the same way every time we're doing something outside of our comfort zone.
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    yeah, it is ironic that it churns my stomach when nervous, which makes me more nervous about needing toilet whilst running! haha
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    haha considering I can travel for 10 hours without needing to go, it amazes me that I need to go about 4 times before a run lol
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm committing to starting the 10k bridging program once I'm feeling healthier to run again. This yucky cold has slowed me down this week.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I'm committing to starting the 10k bridging program once I'm feeling healthier to run again. This yucky cold has slowed me down this week.

Feel better soon
  • allthecoolusernamesweretaken
    Options
    I just completed the 5k app and I'm excited to begin the 10k after a few solid weeks of running 5k every other day.
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    Did a 10km last night.
    On treadmill
    Without my own music
    1hr15mins

A solid 8km/h all the way with a minute here and there of 8.2.

So mentally tough as gym was boring and music was crappy. I checked the clock after I thought I must be 20 mins down and was 12 - so that was fun too.

But felt amazing! Also like it was someone else that achieved it!
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Tiikerinraidat Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thinking to carry on straight with the 10K trainer. I've liked having this structure :) keeps me going.
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Options
    Started the 10K trainer yesterday. Really liked the change of pace with 4x10 min jogs with 1 min walk in between. Felt good :) I also changed my regular route and part of the new route was uphill - it was tough but didn't stop.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Did you all start the 10K program immediately following the completion of C25K, or did you just run focus on running the 5K better/faster for a while? I'm about 2 weeks from completing my C25K and I'm thinking ahead to next steps.
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Options
    I started it immediately. The 10K program is structured differently so I felt it was a great way to carry on. Just completed my first week on it.
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Options
    Week 10 day 1 done (which is 2nd week of 10K trainer after C25K). It was challenging but I finished it
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Options
    Week 10 day 3 done! It is tough for me, no doubt about that but I feel so amazing after my runs :)
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Options
    Week 11 day 1 done. This run didn't go well. I tried a new route and got lost. This just bugged me so much that I lost my motivation.. and also, hills -_-. So I walked a large part of the second 17 min jog. But I did jog almost all of the 5 min cool down walk to make up for it.

And today would have been the 5K race I was thinking to take part in earlier. Didn't go. Now I was looking at a 1/4 marathon (about 10K) in October, it would be on my birthday :D that would be great.
  • eponine1984
    eponine1984 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Week 9, day 3 completed. I've been playing with incline (awful) and speed (okay) on the treadmill while I run. I'm still slow. But it's feeling a bit easier than I expected. The one minute recovery walks aren't much for recovery, but it does nicely break up the monotony. My husband and I are signed up for a turkey trot on Thanksgiving, so that's exciting and terrifying.
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Options
    I completed yesterday week 12, day 2. It's going okay - I am slow but I really don't mind, I am just really happy that I can keep on going the whole time - that's amazing! Right now I can do 8 km within the program so I am still far from getting 10K in 60 mins like seems to be the goal of the program. And not long that I will run 60 min straight :open_mouth: that's kinda scary but.. if I've been managing 60+ minutes now with 2x1 min break, so it's totally doable.

And now I am already contemplating on doing the half marathon program :smiley:

And seems like I have found a solution for my blister problem - Compeed's Anti-Blister stick. Seems to be working for me. Or then my feet are getting used to this :smiley:
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Options
    Week 12, day 3 behind me. The program will take a notch up next time as it will be only two running segments with 1 min walk in between. And next week is all about changes as the time will be going up every time. Then week 14 is 60 min jog :open_mouth: all along. Definitely a big mental jump dropping that 1 min walk.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I finally started the 10k programme today after making my own little bridge from the end of the last one, adding a couple of minutes each week to get from 30 straight to 4x10 minutes. No doubt I am far slower to increase times than I need to be and am slightly apprehensive of going back to following the programme with its bigger increases, but at least the experience of C25K tells me I CAN do it even if my brain aint so sure