Bumper Plates for Dead Lifts?

Options
Kirstie155
Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
Hi guys. I have an issue with my getting my dead lift bar to mid shin. I've been doing the "place your weights on flat weights" but honestly I'm having to stack 3 weights on top of each other to get the right height for me. I work out at home, and don't have endless supplies of weights, so I usually have 25s on the bar, and stack my 35s, 10s and whatever else I have lying around. The stack is super wobbly and not a good choice. I'm 5'11

So...should I just buy some bumper plates in a lower weight (like 10s) that I can add to any lift? Thinking 10s cause they are cheaper than 25s, and not strong enough to dead lift more than ~110# right now! Will these get me to the right height? Are they as big as 45s? Thoughts? Help!

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i keep saying 'bumper' but i think that's actually a different thing ;) so it won't guarantee the right size.

but as far as i know all 'trainer' plates are the size of 45's. there just isn't much point otherwise, since 45 is kind of the gold standard or the base point or whatever you want to call it. all lifts will eventually take you to 45's (well, maybe not hte overhead press . . . .).

whether you 'should get' them? well, i would if i were stocking a gym. in fact, i rarely lift at the rec centre that doesn't have any evne though they're closer to me and less busy than the big one. main reason is: i still use them. i'm stronger than i was 2 years ago, but it's still going to be a looooooooooong time before i'm so strong that i'm warming up for deadlifts and rows with 135 pounds.
  • Kirstie155
    Options
    Thanks for the advice @canadianlbs I just wasn't sure if the bumper/trainer plates were all the same size. Those stacks of weights I was using tonight for my rows were wobbly, and I'd like a safe solution that doesn't involve me building a platform...I'm not too sure about my carpentry skills!
    Do you use them during your warm ups? My row work weight was only 55# tonight! Picture that for a minute for a good laugh, folks!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Kirstie155 wrote: »
    Do you use them during your warm ups?

lol, not for rows. i think of 65 as my 'can almost always do' weight for them. and i think the highest i ever got with them was 80 pounds for a brief while. i'm on kind of a schtick at the moment where i'm treating them like a primary lift instead of the accessory my trainer sees them as being. even so, i don't think the trainer plates will be leaving my life any time soon.

i'm all about them. i know you can stack and/or find other workarounds, but once i first got to work with the trainer-sized plates i knew i was not going back. for rows in particular, the back angle can be tricky and the whole lift feels so weird already. having an absolutely consistent bar height without having to do anything to get it takes so much of that extra aggravation out of them. the same is true for the deadlift, for me.
  • Kirstie155
    Options

This!
    for rows in particular, the back angle can be tricky and the whole lift feels so weird already. having an absolutely consistent bar height without having to do anything to get it takes so much of that extra aggravation out of them. the same is true for the deadlift, for me.

They really are so awkward. Damn boobs get in the way! Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger and buy them yet...but thisclose!
    I'm going to start out with one set, what size weight do you think I should get? 10s, since my row weight is still so low? Or dream bigger for the future?
  • Kirstie155
    Options
    Ok, I pulled the trigger and ordered a set of 15# bumper plates on amazon. And bonus, they are yellow and will match the new barbell locks I bought cause the collars that came with my bar stink :smile: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01CP6GKA0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,947 Member
    Options
    @Kirstie155 how much were your plates? The cheapest I could find were $59 for two 10lb bumper plates, and not from Amazon. Amazon.ca prices are insane.
  • Kirstie155
    Options
    @VeryKatie They were $64.99 US on Amazon for the 15#ers. I buy so much of my stuff on amazon because they are often the cheapest, and free shipping! But yea, the 10# bumpers were the same price, $59.99. I figured for $5 more it was worth it for the heavier plates...plus the 10# ones are green.....and that wouldn't match the new yellow barbell locks haha!

For me it was well worth the money because I really am so wobbly on my lifts. I'm terrified of hurting myself (another sprained back would be the third) and that peace of mind that is proper form was worth it for me :smile:
  • mambawinsnow
    mambawinsnow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We went to a tire place, and they let us pick out two old tires for free! The height is perfect for the beginning weights & I'm sure most places would give you them for free.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I am on my phone right now so, sorting is hard... I am thinking this is an older thing?? But it's up here, so you get my 2 wooden nickels anyways.but for deadlifts and rows at lower weights at home and small strange gyms... my solution has been to put the safety bars on the rack to their lowest setting, and then rest the bar on them ... this usually raises the bar to about the right height... sometimes a skoshe too high, but deadlifts especially my form stays way better at a bit too high than too low
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    @Kirstie155 how much were your plates? The cheapest I could find were $59 for two 10lb bumper plates, and not from Amazon. Amazon.ca prices are insane.

You're in canada then? Have a looksie here: https://www.fitnessavenue.ca/zbp/bumper-plates

I have ordered my fractionals from them. They're a legit company, and them being based in canada means shipping rates are not insanely out of this world.

@OP I'm a little late on this, but as it turns out you did go the way I was going to suggest: 10lbs bumpers tend to be flimsy. They're okay for certain lifts, to a degree, but even with collars you will find yourself either having to push the weight back in after each set, or be careful for the bar not to roll or dip on one side because the weight is bending. Even more so with a 45lbs bar than the woman's bar. That problem doesn't translate over to 15lbs as much, as the slightly wider base means the plate is not going to bend one side or the other if pressure ends up being uneven.

I have also tried to do bar push-ups once when the bar was on 10lbs bumpers... Not a good idea. xD (So if you were ever thinking of maybe using the bar on bumpers to do stuff like an ab wheel? Use at least 15#s!)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    A little late to the party but these are great if you're needing to get the bar to the correct deadlift height:

https://christiansfitnessfactory.com/cff-technique-training-plates.html

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My hubby made a couple blocks from stacked 2x4s that raise it to the proper height for me.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    My hubby made a couple blocks from stacked 2x4s that raise it to the proper height for me.

I was thinking of doing this, but I don't know what the "correct" height is. How do I find the right height for me?
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

I was thinking of doing this, but I don't know what the "correct" height is. How do I find the right height for me?

You want the bar to be resting at about mid-shin or a smidge lower for the start position.

An olympic plate is about 18 inches of diameter. Cut this in about half - you want the bar to be about 9 inches off the floor. The height will obviously vary depending on what plates you use. I'd say tho that you won't be below 95 for long if you're not already, so I'd base the blocks off of the 25's (it becomes less important for warm-ups to start at the proper height)
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Could you use 2 steps? Maybe not ideal if you are at high weights I guess thinking about it?