Compression Socks - anyone using them and have they helped with recovery/bloodflow?

tinkerbellang83
tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
I have noticed some of my veins starting to get a bit noticeable - not quite enough that I think they are varicose but don't want to get to the point where they go that way. I've ordered some compression socks but will have to wait and see if they fit my calves as they are quite wide.

Is anyone else using them for either better performance, recovery or health benefits?

Replies

• Tiikerinraidat
    Tiikerinraidat Posts: 61 Member
    I'd be interested in this too, been thinking about getting compression socks just for running.
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited August 2017
    I picked up a couple of pairs of 1000 mile compression socks today, tried them on and they seem to fit well I'm a UK Size 7 and have 17" calves and I bought the medium size. Got a bargain they were buy 1 get 1 half price in the sports shop, they have pretty good reviews online from runners on various sites.
    5vglr9p52ha2.jpg
    .is8n2a0aupim.jpg
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    out of interest - how were the veins noticeable?
    I have some random lumps that appear on my legs - not noticed a pattern and they don't look like veins, can't see any blue/green to them - but wondered if it may be how it starts? They are kind of on the front/side of my shin, one goes round slightly onto my calf :/ dr doesn't know what they are and I can't drop everything to go back when they appear!
  • tinkerbellang83
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    out of interest - how were the veins noticeable?
    I have some random lumps that appear on my legs - not noticed a pattern and they don't look like veins, can't see any blue/green to them - but wondered if it may be how it starts? They are kind of on the front/side of my shin, one goes round slightly onto my calf :/ dr doesn't know what they are and I can't drop everything to go back when they appear!

For me it's just that when I exercise they are very visible, they aren't lumpy as such, but I do get very achy legs after running, so thinking more as a preventative measure more than anything and to help with achiness. If you google image search varicose veins, you can see how they look, some don't seem to have any colouring, but a doctor would be able to spot if it was varicose veins, so might just be fatty lumps or fluid build up.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    I have googled (working hard can you tell? lol) and looks like muscle hernias.
    not painful and nothing to worry about but meh - not going to stop appearing after long runs/hard work outs.....
  • tinkerbellang83
    Working as hard as I am lol
  • tinkerbellang83
    Well my first run with the socks went ok, it could have been better but I will put that down to delayed hangover, TOM cramps and lack of sleep from the combination of the previous 2 ha.

My legs were fine afterwards especially considering I'd done a rather intense uphill walk the day before. So definitely helped with recovery and I do think they helped a little with my form.