How has your health negatively affected your ability to play your instrument?

Options
hilltopstudiovt
hilltopstudiovt Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2017 in Social Groups
I have struggled with arthritis and joint pain which has greatly affected how I play the drums. I always stretch and warm up before playing the kit but my endurance is limited by pain, and my technique suffers. I often tense up as a result which only exaggerates the problems. What are your health challenges related to your ability to play your instrument? What have you found that works or does not work in addressing these challenges?

Replies

• 2fatz
    2fatz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! Nice to find a group for musicians! I hope it grows, it will be fun. I'm 69, play and teach violin in a small town. I also struggle with arthritis and joint pain, finger swelling, etc. My endurance problems greatly IMPROVED a couple months ago when I got serious about getting my blood sugar in reasonable numbers. I couldn't do it without MFP.
    I started taking the smallest dose of Flexeril, 5 mg every other day (because the half-life is 18 hours!) and that helps me stretch. My body's habits are to tense up and I try to be vigilant about when I'm doing that but it still happens. I did 6 weeks of physical therapy which helped a lot! I also made a spot in my living room (I live alone so I can do what I want) with a thick foam rubber mat in front of my computer and tv set. I try to spend a lot of time on the floor because when I'm down here, I naturally stretch out in different ways while I'm doing other things. My 2 cats also love be being down in their territory and have become more playful. I've lost 10 lbs in the past 2 months mainly because of the structure MFP helps me have.