Any sleevers who are 6 weeks post op out there?

Options
nniang
nniang Posts: 7 Member
Wonder what your experience has been so far with weight loss, food, and exercise. Need some guidance in those areas and would be grateful for your input.

I was sleeved on 7/18/17. Surgery weight was 258 and I know fluctuate between 229 and 227. I have to meet my goal of 220 by 6/13 which is when I check in with my surgeon. Eat between 600 and 730 calories.some days much less. I'm not meeting my water or protein requirement either. Any guidance is so welcomed!

Replies

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I am way past 6 weeks (5 years!)... but something that helped me especially in the beginning to get enough protein was protein shots.

I found most people, myself included, made themselves protein shakes like the instructions say - add 8 oz water per scoop. But that early out you cant fit anywhere near 8 oz so you throw it out or put off making since you will just waste it.

The ratio is all that matters, so add 1/4 serving/scoop of protein powder to about 2 oz water (play!). Put in a small tupperware type cup with a lid if possible and shake for a minute. Then drink all in one swallow like a shot. Do that 4 times - once per hour or whatever , and you get a whole "protein" shake with 20g protein (or whatever yours has) in a much more managable fashion.

Just something that helped me - realizing I didnt have to make a whole scoop at a time, and any was better than nothing.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    So you've los about 30lbs in 6 weeks. That's really GOOD. I'm guessing your appt is 9/13 not 6/13? Why do you "have to" be 220 when you see surgeon? Is he going to scold you if you weigh more? Or less?

I've fond that folks who focus on that scale never get to where they want with their health. At 6 weeks out I was eating 1,500 calories at least and now I eat about 3,000. And I'm maintaining over 200lb weight loss. The reason is I cut out processed food. Unless people kick their carb cravings weight will always be a struggle.
  • ssbeadlady
    ssbeadlady Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My surgery was in Jan of 2016. I had lost 180 pounds before surgery. At the 6 week mark I was getting in about 500 to 600 calories. Protein and water are the top two things you should be getting in at this stage. Do you carry a water bottle with you every where you go? I do and I drink from it through out the day. Getting in at least 62 to 96 ounces of water a day. When I found I hadn't eaten much on a certain day I would drink a protein shake during the evening so I know I had met my protein requirements.
    Aztec4Life is correct in his statement about kicking carb cravings. I am finding at this stage 19 months post op I am slowly letting carbs back in and I have gained some weight this past month. I truly need to take them back out of my life. It will be dificult for me to do this, but I must as I will not allow myself to be 497 again. Aztec4Life How were you able to get in 1.500 calories at 6 weeks? Were you eating high fat cheese, yogurts etc? Eating 3000 calories now you must be exercise all day long to be maintaining your magnificent weight loss.
  • nniang
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your feedback.

I am one of those people who needs structure and small goals. The 220 pound weight by 9/13 is one such small goal. Reaching helps me mentally as it means that my adherence to regimen is going well. I have not been exercising which I know is a huge factor but just took on a PT. We start next week. When it comes to exercise, I find that if I have someone to hold me accountable, I'm more likely to stick to it.

Food wise, I find that I get bored easily. I recently found carb quick and low carb wraps. I allow myself one wrap or low carb biscuit per week usually packed with tuna or salmon with lettuce, mayo and avocado. I find that when I eat this way, the scale moves to my favor. The less I eat, the less I lose.

Water is a huge challenge but I will take the guidance provided here, which I think is very helpful.

I've had a bit of hair loss which is not normal at this stage. Have any of you experienced this?

• ssbeadlady
    ssbeadlady Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    nniang are you taking biotin? I started taking it and a lot of other vitamins a year before my surgery and continue to take them every day. Some have lost hair but it did grow back. I didn't lose any hair and I am 61 years old. Take the biotin on a regular basis it might help.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I walk at least 12,000 and run about 4-5 times a week. Thise have become habitual (like showering or brushing my teeth) so I don't really consider them "exercise". I think the reason I can eat so much is that I'm eating REAL food. Yes, I indulge from time to time but for the most part I eat whole foods that I cook for myself. I've found a way of living that is wonderful. Eat when I'm hungry and stop when full. I graze all day. I probably eat 10-12 times a day. I was 400lbs a few years ago so it's not like I'm one of these naturally "skinny" guys that can just eat and eat. I honestly believe it's not about calories and more about the QUALITY of food one consumes.
  • nniang
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your feedback and sharing your experiences. It's all very helpful. I'd love to have you as friends but am not sure how to add you! Would any of you happen to know how?
  • lporter0813
    lporter0813 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    SSbeadlady, what type of biotin do you take? (Brand? Is it capsules, pills?) I am just beginning my bariatric vitamins today (2 weeks out). They didn't want me to take anything until now. Won't the bariatric vitamin be enough? I have to check if it contains biotin.