Injuries - Again

Options
Shron123
Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
So last April 30 Thor n I had a little trip where he fell on my left leg with the stirrup between. Took me 10 minutes to suck it up and go about my business but was feeling lucky as no big deal. Over a year later the flesh beside that knee is still swollen and aches constantly so finally decided to go to the Doctor. After my exam and some X-rays he said it was arthritis. Too bad so sad nothing to be done. So I am going to be 59 at the end of the month. Many people have arthritis at this point but it really rankled for some reason so I went off to another Doc who suggested an MRI was in order. Lucked out and got in the very next day. Not arthritis but seems I messed up my meniscus - not great but fixable.
Between all the rain and my sore knee the summer that was suppose to be full of riding isn't but at least I know what's going on. Surgery in near future. Sigh.
Moral - go to Doctor after a 1200 lb animal lands on you. Don't wait a year.

Replies

• crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Equestrians will get the vet out for the mere thought of an injury to their horse, but tend to be horrible about getting ourselves to the doctor! Hope you recover quickly :)
  • Shron123
    Options
    Thanks! Still waiting to hear from surgeon for the knee but had a wicked fall last weekend. We were riding downhill in deep sand and Thor managed to snag a big root with his hoof. No memory of the fall so no chance to react. Was riding then was lying on my back on the edge of the trail. Incredible pain in my back n ribs. Three miles to finish so NOT going to quit. Hubby got me back in the saddle and we cantered home as trotting was too painful. Took me til Fri to go to Doc for X-rays but just badly bruised - no cracked ribs. Sadly missing a ride this weekend and next but am going to volunteer since we can't ride. Thor is great!!
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    One thing horseback riding is great for -- increasing pain tolerance! Hang in there.
  • Shron123
    Options
    That is so true and made me laugh. Thanks. And my back is much improved. Going to miss the net rid as well but will hopefully make the last two of the season. At the ride thus past Sunday my hubbies horse was lame so he rode my boy Thor. Came in 2nd with a Grade 1. So proud.