Anyone with Achilles issues? What shoes?

Options
rrcoffey
rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
I tend towards light, neutral shoes, but ever since trying the Brooks Launch 3 earlier this year, I've had nearly constant pain in my Achilles :( I've read that I should wear something with less cushioning and a higher heel drop? Can anyone suggest a few brands/models I should consider?

I'm currently marathon training...race is at the end of October, so I need something soon. I've been wearing Topos, but I'm prone to several areas of blisters, likely due to the wider toe box.

Thanks!

Replies

• marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have achilles problems and trained for a marathon through it too. I found the Nike Zoom Winflo 3 Shield Ladies Running shoe is a good neutral one with lots of support and did my marathon in them even though they were over the mileage. I am currently using New Balance 1080 which I have not experienced any issues with at all.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Fixing an Achilles issue when you're in marathon training is hard. What you mostly need to do is keep from irritating it, and lots of stretching. Just changing shoes won't be enough.

I'd recommend seeing a physical therapist as a pre-emptive strike. Get evaluated for how bad the problem is, learn the stretches and exercises that will help your situation, and do the best you can. You may need to avoid speed work and uphill running between now and race day.

The one thing neither my podiatrist nor my physical therapist mentioned for an Achilles problem was changing shoes. I've been wearing Saucony Kinvaras for years, with and without Achilles issues. They are light, neutral, and 4 mm heel drop. The podiatrist had me put Superfeet Blue inserts into them long before I had any Achilles issues, so I can's swear that the arch support from Superfeet is critical to an Achilles issue.
  • tmccutcheon
    tmccutcheon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a podiatrist but I do know that when I went from 12MM drop shoes to zero drop shoes, my achilles were very sore for several weeks. I went back and forth between the 12MM drop shoes and the zero drop (trail versus road runs) and the achilles soreness seemed to lessen. I have since moved away from the zero drop shoes and the achilles soreness has all but disappeared. So for me, the zero drop shoes seemed to put more stress on the achilles that took some time to strengthen.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Switch back to the shoes you wore before you had the issue. I'm assuming the new shoes have a lower drop. Even a few milometers can be a big issue when you are not used to it.

The 2 things that helped me the most were stretches and a brace. To do the stretch, stand on a platform with your heal hanging over the edge. Raise it up with your good foot and lower down to below the platform with the bad foot. Repeat a few times a day (doing a couple at a time until it feels better/stronger). The brace was a simple device I purchased from Rite Aid. All it does is keeps my foot flexed at night while I sleep (it does not allow the calf to relax).

It took a few months and a lighter running schedule to fully recover. I never completely stopped running but I limited speed and hill work.

Good luck.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    People who switch from 0 drop to a higher drop or vice versa often have problems as they stress the legs and feet differently. If the switch is more gradual, you can make the transition, but if it is a complete change, there will be issues. Since you are already in mid-training, I would go back to your previous shoes if they still make them or at least to ones with a similar drop.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The Launch 3 has a 10mm drop, which would suggest that it's not that causing the issue. It's a condition that can be exacerbated by moving from a high do to low drop, but at most you've lost 2mm.

Have you significantly increased volume or change terrain? More hills can stress the achilles, as can softer surfaces