Anyone else had "runner's knee"?

Options
CDXJade
CDXJade Posts: 19 Member
Hi all,

So I've run a couple of half marathons in the past. First one, I had quite bad pain in my right knee, but managed to get round with the help of some strapping. Second one, no problems, and I got a decent time.

Recently, after about 6-12 months with no running, I started up again to help get in shape (and because I missed running in general, especially in cool autumn months) - everything was going fine, but in week 3, after a routine 3.5 km I was feeling sore in my knee after finishing. For the following week that knee has been stiff as hell, and pain walking down the stairs, and when I've been lying still for too long.

I *think* my problem is patellofemoral pain/ runners knee, given the pain is all around the kneecap and the symptoms fit. I'm planning on resting it for a few weeks and maybe doing exercises at home to strengthen my muscles.

Any advice on time scales and which exercises would be good for building up my quads and hips? Care to share your experience with this injury?

Ta

Replies

• tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    CDXJade wrote: »
    Hi all,

So I've run a couple of half marathons in the past. First one, I had quite bad pain in my right knee, but managed to get round with the help of some strapping. Second one, no problems, and I got a decent time.

Recently, after about 6-12 months with no running, I started up again to help get in shape (and because I missed running in general, especially in cool autumn months) - everything was going fine, but in week 3, after a routine 3.5 km I was feeling sore in my knee after finishing. For the following week that knee has been stiff as hell, and pain walking down the stairs, and when I've been lying still for too long.

I *think* my problem is patellofemoral pain/ runners knee, given the pain is all around the kneecap and the symptoms fit. I'm planning on resting it for a few weeks and maybe doing exercises at home to strengthen my muscles.

Any advice on time scales and which exercises would be good for building up my quads and hips? Care to share your experience with this injury?

Ta

I have experienced this for the past two years. I went to a physical therapist to help me. I have an imbalance in my hips but only a doctor can tell you what is going on with your body. For the knee pain, I had to stretch my quads. For longer than a minute per leg, she corrected my form during that stretch and then had me walk up and down stairs and the pain was gone. Here's a link for your reference.
    http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/quadricep-stretches.html

I hope this helps.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from runner's knee. A couple of things that help me are squats to strengthen the muscles that support the knee, and myofascial release. A friend at work taught me how to take a tennis ball and roll it on the bottom of my foot, on my calf, and on my thigh. It's a litle more detailed than that, but it has helped tremendously. I also take a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, but I think that that pain is osteo-arthritis and not the runner's knee.