NO SYNC, WINDING ME UP NOW!!!

Options
Madsocks
Madsocks Posts: 54 Member
For some reason my surge has stopped syncing calories burnt with MFP. Whenever I update my weight, or water intake it syncs fine plus it shows the number of steps I've done, but yet for some reason the calories I've burned don't show under the exercise section, so my figures are going to be out because it's taking my calorie intake from food, but I've been doing a lot of 5k's recently and yet my exercise figure on MFP is still showing as 0.

I've done all the disconnect, reconnect, log on, change step tracker to fitbit numerous, numerous times but it's still not working. I've no idea what is going on! :-(

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Do you have negative calories enabled on MFP under your Settings for food?

And related to that - do you have a high MFP activity level set trying to include exercise when it's not supposed to?

That combo could have you burning less calories in total than MFP is expecting already even with running - so you'd see no adjustments.

Also - people have found their MFP app changing option on it's own for Step source from required Fitbit to something else, which prevents the daily calories from coming over. And the steps shown could be from MFP app using the accelerometer in phone.

And no - if some data is coming through, disconnecting and reconnecting won't work almost always, as it's an issue beyond general sync connection.
  • Madsocks
    Madsocks Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

No negative calories set up, and no high MFP activity level. It's classed as sedentary as I have an office job.

I've checked the steps and It's showing the fitbit tracker as default. I've changed my weight on Fitbit and it's synced over to my fitness pal with no issues.

I checked earlier and it was showing 12 calories on MFP, but since I've synced a couple of times, it's gone down to 8 calories and now it's showing as 0 calories.

I really don't understand what is going on with it. Never had any issues like this before with MFP, and I really don't understand why number of steps, weight changes and water consumption are syncing through fine from Fitbit, yet calorie figure is not.
  • heybales
    Options
    On that entry for Adjustment calories - there is an "i" for more detailed Info.

What was time and amount of last sync shown there?

It could be you got one good sync - and then no more since then.
    Fitbit sends new data when it's 100 higher calorie burn than last sync.

Which means MFP issue not receiving it. Probably.

MFP techs found in my sync detailed record log mismatched timezones that they claimed was issues. Except both were set correctly the same from what I could view.

So no resolution - I get 1 good sync until midnight. Annoying.

Fitbit had issues in the past where despite looking at a weight setting that clearly showed as pounds - you could do the math and see they were using it as a kg setting with the figure - leading to very inflated calorie burns.
    Had to merely re-enter and resave the setting.

So Fitbit isn't blameless either.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't working either. I have everything set up as it should be with negative calories enabled. It was working fine this morning and recorded my steps but it seems not to be syncing my afternoon steps. It also isn't posting my exercise on my MFP feed like it normally does. I have everything set as it should be and still it isn't syncing
  • heybales
    Options
    Fitbit workouts NEVER displayed as workouts on your MFP feed.

Because Fitbit does not send workouts to MFP to do that with.

It only sends daily calorie burn for MFP to do math with, and Steps for MFP to show as a figure, or body stats for MFP to log (weight).

The adjustment that MFP creates to correct itself to match Fitbit isn't even displayed as a workout on your feed because it may not be a workout at all.

So whatever you were seeing was something else - or you don't have a Fitbit but rather a Garmin perhaps which has done the coding to send workouts over.
  • skinnymeenae
    skinnymeenae Posts: 16 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm having the same since I restarted a few weeks ago. No syncing whatsoever, checked the settings, everything is as it should be. It really is a bummer for me as that was one of the most motivating features in myfitnesspal for me....

Edit: was going through my settings and it looks like this is now exclusively a Premium feature.

It says the choice whether to have exercise increase calorie goals is a Premium feature. I guess this includes the possibility of syncing fitbit exercise calories to the myfitnesspal food diary, which increases your calorie goal (if you want)...but that option is now only available to Premium...

I will try Premium to see if that works...or perhaps it's time to look for another app that offers the feature for free...back in the day I used myfitday but not sure they have fitbit feature....
  • skinnymeenae
    skinnymeenae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Got Premium and still not working! Really pissed off that I paid and still won't work!!
  • heybales
    Options
    Ya, syncing is general and having MFP correct itself to the Fitbit is not premium feature.

Disabling MFP from correcting itself is a feature.

Because some people use MFP in a weekly avg TDEE method, meaning they already accounted for planned exercise, and set their daily eating goal correctly.
    They want to sync but not have that figured goal change.
    Hence premium, which has a few other options that supports that usage style.

Compared to normal usage is MFP has no accounting for planned workouts - no change to eating level until it's actually done. And that's what Fitbit aids in.
    Hence part of standard account.