Meatless Monday Recipes - AKA You won't miss the meat!

Options
alybran
alybran Posts: 199 Member
This is a great place to share your favorite Meatless Monday recipes, for those just beginning a vegetarian diet that need a more gentle approach to taking meat out of their daily rotation.

Replies

• glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Rae's Veggie Kidney Bean Burritos

For 2 servings (roughly 408cals per serving; 26g of protein, 58g of carbs, 7g of fat and 16g of dietary fiber):

2 wholemeal tortilla wraps [I use Mission ones].
    1 tin (240g drained weight) of washed red kidney beans.
    6 triangles (115g) of extra light cream cheese. [My recipe is calculated for that but if you want regular cream cheese you do you]
    1 (130g) small red onion.
    ½ (80g) red bell pepper.
    1 (15g) chopped red chilli
    1 clove of garlic.

I use 1 cal sunflower oil spray but you can use whatever you want just no more than one tablespoon.

Instructions:

Diced the onion, pepper, chilli and garlic before throwing into a medium heat frying pan to sweat for 2-3 minutes.

Add the kidney beans for another 3 minutes.

At this point you can microwave your tortillas to heat them, I put them in for 30 seconds.

Stir in the cream cheese to melt it, I use cheese triangles so you can dice them up before you throw them in but it all ends up gooey loveliness regardless. ;) You could at this point turn up the heat for a second just so that the mixture is hot all the way through, but be careful you don’t burn anything/make the cheese stick to the pan.

You can also add a pinch of salt and 2 tbsp of coriander/cilantro, maybe some paprika for even more spice, to the mix at this point for seasoning but I chose not to.

Put half the mixture in the centre of the tortilla and fold together. Now it’s ready to enjoy.

You can always add some rice to this, or anything you want to really, if you wish, but I normally have one with salad and save one for the next day.
  • alybran
    Options
    Ok guys HOOKY CREAK (my phones version of "HOLY CRAP." I think I'll start using this phrase on the reg)

Anyway. I'm always making enchiladas. Sometimes I just wing it, sometimes I use a recipe as a general guideline. THIS is my favorite so far:
    http://www.thissavoryvegan.com/black-bean-green-chili-vegan-enchiladas-with-jalapeno-cream-sauce/

We just had it for dinner last night. It was relatively quick and so good I almost died.

Notes:
    - I used salsa verde instead on green enchilada sauce because it's what I had on hand.
    - I think honestly it could do without the green chilis. Didn't really add anything to the dish for me.
    - Used an immersion blender to blend the cream sauce in the pot, saved myself from extra dishes. ;)
    - I used low-fat cream cheese (neufchatel) because I'm not vegan.
    - The cream sauce was actually quite spicy. I love spicy food, the spicier the better, so it wad perfect, but if you're not as big a fan, I would recommend seeding the jalapeño to decrease the spiciness.
    - I added a can of kidney beans for the filling because it just didn't seem like enough, and only added ~1/4 cup of the cream sauce to the filling because I thought it would be too runny otherwise.
    - I used salsa verde on the bottom of the casserole dish and smothered the enchiladas with the rest of the cram sauce.

This recipe has so much potential, but is seriously delicious even as is. Ugh I'm still dreaming about it. Next time I make it, I'm added some extra deliciousness called MUSHROOMS /drool
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Mexican-inspired seems to be a theme here :)

This is something I make quite often, because it's easy to prepare, the basic ingredients are almost always in the pantry, and it's good to eat for a few day, or freeze. Note that you can basically put whatever you want in it, this is just how I tend to make mine.

Mexi-lasagne
    Serves 8-16, depending on how hungry you are ;)

Ingredients
    Whatever veggies you like, I like to use zucchini, mushroom, onion
    2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
    2 cans of corn kernels, rinsed and drained
    1 can of diced tomato
    1 jar of enchilada sauce or salsa (This gives flavour because I'm too lazy to season with spices)
    1 packet of tortillas (I usually use 10-15 wraps)
    250g grated cheese
    1 jar sliced black olives

Method
    Cook off the veggies, then stir in all the cans and jars. Cut the tortillas in half (when you layer, put the cut side along the edge of the dish)
    Layer the veggie mix, tortillas and cheese in a deep oven-safe casserole dish, starting and ending with the veggie mix. Top with grated cheese and black olives.
    Bake at 180°C for 45-60 minutes, until bubbling and hot all the way through.
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Tonight's Meatless Monday Entree. I will serve with Trader Joe's vegetable fried rice, and Trader Joe's Thai vegetable dumplings.

"beef" and broccoli

1 package of seitan
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    Lots of garlic clove finely minced
    1 tablespoon grated gingerroot, if desired

1/3cup hoisin sauce
    1/3cup water
    1tablespoon cornstarch
    1/2teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    Stir-Fry

2tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
    2cups fresh small broccoli florets1 1/2
    2cups ready-to-eat baby-cut carrots, cut lengthwise into julienne (2x1/4x1/4-inch) strips

1/2tablespoons water

1/2cup cashew halves, if desired

In medium bowl, mix seitan, soy sauce, garlic and gingerroot; set aside. In small bowl, mix sauce ingredients with wire whisk until well blended; set aside.
    In wok or 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over high heat about 1 minute. Add seitan mixture, breaking up clumps of seitan with wooden spoon; cook 1 minute without stirring. Stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until seitan is browned around edges. Transfer seitan mixture to clean bowl.
    To empty wok, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil; heat over high heat about 1 minute. Add broccoli and carrots; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 2 tablespoons water; cover and cook 2 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until broccoli and carrots are crisp-tender.
    Return seitan mixture to wok. Mix sauce mixture again with wire whisk to recombine; pour into wok. Stir to coat mixture with sauce. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened. Sprinkle each serving with cashews
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'm making red lentil soup with Thai red curry paste & coconut milk tonight.

1 T EVOO
    1 medium onion diced
    1-2 T. minced ginger
    1 T tomato paste
    1 small chili minced - I used a serrano chili
    1 pinch fenugreek seeds
    1 T red curry paste
    1.5 cups red lentils - rinse first
    6-8 cups water depends on how thick you like it
    1 medium sweet potato - small diced
    1 can 15 oz diced tomatoes
    1 can coconut milk

Saute onion, ginger & chili pepper in evoo til softened. Add tomato paste, fenugreek seeds and curry paste til fragrant - 2 min. or so. Add lentils, water and diced sweet potato. Cook over low heat til sweet potato is soft and lentils are cooked - 30 - 45 minutes. Add can of tomatoes and cook another 10 minutes. Add in the can of coconut milk and cook for another 10 minutes.

The heat level depends on your red curry paste and the chili pepper. If you don't like it spicy - skip the chili pepper.

This, like any soup is forgiving and flexible. You can use a roasted potato instead of the raw and add it towards the end. And the fenugreek seeds are optional too. I have them and so I use them, but I'm sure it's good without them. And like all soups, it's better the 2nd day. Freezes well too.

Super cheap to make, the most expensive (and caloric) item is the coconut milk.
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options

HONEY MUSTARD "CHICKEN" COBB SALAD

I turned this original recipe into a vegetarian recipe. This is her recipe, written out the way she had it, but I changed what was put in the salad. From Creme da la Crumb.

Easy and delicious honey mustard "chicken" cobb salad is healthy, hearty main dish salad that will leave everyone begging for more.

Author: Tiffany
    Recipe type: Main Dish
    Cuisine: American
    Serves: 4

INGREDIENTS
    Morning star "chicken" strips
    8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
    ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
    ½ red onion, thinly sliced
    1 avocado, thinly sliced
    4 slices vegetarian bacon
    4 hard boiled eggs, thinly sliced
    ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
    dressing
    ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
    ½ cup honey
    ½ cup cider vinegar
    2 teaspoons salt
    ½ cup plus 4 tablespoons vegetable oil

Whisk together all dressing ingredients. Divide dressing in half. Cover and chill half of the dressing, transfer remaining half of dressing to a large resealable bag. Add "chicken" to bag and refrigerate.

Cook "chicken" on the stove over medium heat or on the grill on each side until cooked through.

Assemble salads with lettuce on the bottom, topped with "chicken", "bacon", onions, eggs, and tomatoes. Use reserved dressing to drizzle over salad and top with freshly cracked black pepper if desired.

This is her picture using real animal protein. I've seen "chicken" cutlets made by Quorn, so I feel that you could probably get the same look as this dish using those.

9a86807livhk.jpg
  • alybran
    Options
    I mentioned this in my "What did you eat today?" post, but I thought it'd be good to share here, too! This was a really quick recipe as there's not much prep, only one pot (not counting rice - I use a rice cooker). It came together in less than half an hour (again, not counting rice).

This recipe is probably pretty good for those who are new to Indian/curry-style food as the spice profile is not overwhelming. The cream also mellows out the flavors a bit.

---

ADAPTED FROM WEEKNIGHT TIKKA MASALA BY AMUSE YOUR BOUCHE

Ingredients
    1 tbsp oil (If oil-less cooking like me, use a little water at a time to keep it from sticking)
    1 small onion sliced or diced
    2-3 cloves garlic minced, to taste
    1 15 oz (~400g) can chickpeas
    3-4 oz (~100g) mushrooms
    1 1/2 cup (~150g) peas and carrots (I used frozen mix)
    1 tsp smoked paprika
    2 tsp garam masala
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp chilli powder
    1 15 oz (~400g) can of diced tomatoes (I used the no-salt-added variety)
    ~100 ml (~1/3-1/2 cup) cream, coconut milk, or other milk substitute
    Salt to taste (I added maybe 1/4 tsp)
    Black pepper to taste (same as above)
    Cayenne pepper to taste (same as above)
    Boiled rice and fresh herbs, if desired

Instructions
    1. Heat the oil/water in a large pan, and add the onion and garlic and stir, cooking until aromatic. Add in the veggies (chickpeas, peas & carrots, mushrooms) and cook over a medium heat, stirring regularly, for around 5 minutes, until the onions are soft and translucent.
    2. Add the spices, and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly to make sure it does stick. Add a tablespoon or two of water if it's sticking too much.
    3. Add the tomatoes, and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for 5-10 more minutes, until everything is fully cooked, and the sauce has thickened.
    4. Remove from the heat. Add the cream and mix well.
    5. Serve with boiled rice and any fresh herbs desired. Parsley or cilantro would pair very well.

---

I measured this out to be about 6 servings for the amount I eat, which is about 165 calories per serving. With 3/4 cup rice, the meal comes to about 350 calories and 10 grams of protein, give or take.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    How many grams is a serving would you say?
  • alybran
    Options
    How many grams is a serving would you say?

I'll be completely honest, I'm bad about weighing actual servings of my dinners. I eyeball it lol. I'd estimate around 200g per serving for the tikka masala itself, based on the combined weight of the ingredients. The rice you'd have to measure separately. :smile:
  • Kwoconnor
    Kwoconnor Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    For tonight's dinner I had 6 quorn Swedish "meatballs", 4 slices of 60cal bread, 15 ml lighter than light mayo, reduced salt brown sauce, 90g mushrooms and 130g organic potatos. A sort of meatball and potato toasted sandwich. Delicious. 466 calories all in. Stuffed.