Breathing whilst running

Options
Abakan
Abakan Posts: 361 Member
I'm interested to find out how people breath when they run and is it better to breath in though the nose and out though the mouth or doesn't it matter. I breath in and out though my mouth when running and wonder if I should practice breathing in though my nose and out though my mouth, will this help me become a more efficient runner and achieve better times?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for in followed by out...

In practice it really doesn't seem to matter.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh when I saw the title of this post - yes, sometimes it's just a challenge to breathe at all when running :)

I haven't found much difference but do a little of both breathing through my nose and mouth. Not sure what the "official" "right" answer is though. Sometimes when I'm working hard, it gets difficult to breathe through my nose effectively. And if I'm trying to release some built up tension, a nice long, deep breath through my nose helps.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i know i am running nice and slow and easy if i can breathe in through my nose every through breaths
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I swim most mornings and run most afternoons so I am accustomed to breath in thru the mouth and out nose and so when I am running easy its mostly that but as I pick up the pace cant maintain that and so it becomes in and out thru the mouth
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I have year around allergies and sinus issues. I run with my mouth open because I just don't get enough air through my nose.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    The next time I breathe through my nose when I run will be the first time. :D

Do what is comfortable for you.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

I mostly breathe through my mouth, and I figure if I have to pay attention to how I breathe I'm doing it wrong. I will exhale through my nose when I need to fire a snot rocket.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »

I mostly breathe through my mouth, and I figure if I have to pay attention to how I breathe I'm doing it wrong. I will exhale through my nose when I need to fire a snot rocket.

pretty much this.