September 15 sign in

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• Slimpossible007
    Slimpossible007 Posts: 16,285 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

sorry I've not been about, just feeling sorry for myself

I have been to the doctor and its confirmed I do in fact have sciatica, for anyone else who may suffer from it here's a link to the exercises I was recommended to do daily. (and basically forever, to stop future flare ups) It takes 10 minutes,

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/backpain/pages/sciatica-exercises.aspx

I've been referred for physio but its a 12-16 week wait for an appointment UGG!!!

I will return to the challenge in October, even if I only manage my stretches and also a walk for at least 10 mins daily I will have exercised for target of 20 mins .. so October should be doable for me, and give me a daily routine. at the moment I will only be doing them the once through till I get a little more mobile and able :)

I hope everyone is heading for the circle this month

Keep smashing those goals folks :)

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    September 15
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 5 Km in 38mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes.
    Tracked?: Yes.

Good pace today. Was sub 38mins for the 5km. Weekend tomorrow (Yay). Unfortunately rain and poor weather predicted for tomorrow (Boo).

@trixsey1. Still daily vigilance for maintenance. Working toward making it auto-pilot, but a long way to go to get there. I estimate it will take till at least middle of next year for that.
  • trixsey1
    trixsey1 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    15th Sept

Exercised?: Yes.
    Calories?: Yes.
    Tracked?: Yes.

Had a jog (3.8 miles), 30 mins of strength training and took the woofies for walk. Plenty of hills today to work those leg muscles.

Total distance: 16km (10 miles)
    Total steps walked: 21,426
    Total calories burned: 1198
    Total calories consumed: 1211

Thank you to everyone for your kind works regarding my sibling.

@slimpossible007 - take care of yourself sweetie.

Hope you've all had a great day.....x
  • bocasdelbadbob
    bocasdelbadbob Posts: 111 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Rapscallion... dietary violations on my little rapscallion.

Well, I got this little rapscallion. So here is me watching my own damn diet but I got to keep track of little Buddy too. That little skanker only weigh 50 pound or so, but he is going to need to be attended for the rest of his life. We got to keep him from becoming a backbreaker.
    But today is Friday. So me an him split an apple turnover. Not much for me but it is a lot for him. And I got this can of aerosol whipped creme. He knows what it is. You should see him laugh and laugh. I love that little guy's laughter. Everybody does. We can't make him fat though. I know how it is in the caregivers world. The guy whose care breaks your back isn't going to get the best out of you.

I am getting up in years. That is how that is. I ain't middle aged. I am older than that. Think about this kids. People going to be taking care of you in your age and infirmity. If you are a walrus , you ain't gonna get big smiles out of your care givers.

Buddy, part of my objective is to manage his metabolism. Most of my objective is to see him laugh. My retirement. My love. My little Buddy. What is left of my life? The countdown begins. My Mom lived to 75. My dad lived to 81. I am counting down to one of those two I figure.

But that ain't dismal. What if I was happy? What if my happiness came late in life?

What if I heard a little boy's laughter and realized that all of the money I filled my pockets with didn't pan out to have much to do with happiness.

I squirted whipped creme and I heard him laugh and laugh and laugh. Pure joy.

APE -- adaptive physical education - that is what that spells. The new guy in my world is an endurance athlete. He wears t-shirts everyday that spell his exploits in that world.

Heh, heh, heh, what he does for competition I do regularly. He is a writer. He documents all of this. But he helps me with the kids. Wait a minute. I help him with the kids.

This is the weird world of @bocasdelbadbob. Did I tell you I got mental problems?

• pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? yes

@Slimpossible007 Too bad about the sciatica. But there are people who are able to manage it, and you're taking the right steps with the stretching and so forth. Good luck!
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Sept 15
    Excercise: 40 min run
    Calories: yes
    Tracked: yes
  • 120maggie
    120maggie Posts: 4,986 Member
    Options
    Strength circuit and short walk. Tracked. calories ok.
  • cardio_enthusiast
    cardio_enthusiast Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    15-Sept-2017

Yes x3

Exercise: I went for a really long walk, today. It was so beautiful out and I didn't know that this was Seattle's weekend for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer walk. Yeah!!! I passed a lot of those women and men during my walk, and was so moved and inspired by their efforts.

It was a fabulous start to the day!

Oh, yeah, it's been chilly in the morning, so out come the long sleeves and workout gloves.

Calories: unfortunately, I got a late start on the food intake, today. I started my walk late AND I went for 3 hours. So, I'm under on the calories. I'll catch up tomorrow.

Tracking: yep, I tracked everything.
  • fightingthetideofaging
    Options
    @Slimpossible007 - It will be great to have you back next month...take good care of yourself!!

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes..30 minutes Week #6 - Day #2 of C25K app training.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,414 Member
    Options
    @Slimpossible007 I too have suffered from very bad sciatica pain due to a bulged disk. Yoga and the chiropractor have really helped. Keep up with your exercises and I hope you feel better soon!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,414 Member
    Options
    Today.......yes, yes and yes!!!!!
  • SimonsChange
    SimonsChange Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Gonna pass for today mainly did some light home maintenance
  • astroamy
    astroamy Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Exercise: 35 minute interval run plus 13000 steps.
    Calories: Under, which is good bc Friday tends to be my low willpower day.
    Track everything: Yes.
  • RangerRickL
    RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
    Options
    It's late:
    Today report,
    Calories: under by only 113
    Tracking: ok
    Exercise: a beautiful night on the farm. Horse barn chores and then a ride for more than 45 minutes. Very peaceful
  • loopydo2017
    loopydo2017 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Yes x3. Half hour walk with running intervals.
  • LoraineGB
    LoraineGB Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes. Walking at the Hoover Dam and Boulder City

Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? No

Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? No

Today got away from me. Took my Kiwi cousin to the airport for her to go off on her next adventure and my step daughter flies in for a few days tomorrow afternoon. Friend from England still here……Thursday…Thursday will be quiet, just me, hubby and the dogs, all visitors left and gone home'ish.…
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Yes x 3, 9/15.
    Long uphill hike 45 min with dog this morning. It kicked our tails, although neither of us has one.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

sorry I've not been about, just feeling sorry for myself

I have been to the doctor and its confirmed I do in fact have sciatica, for anyone else who may suffer from it here's a link to the exercises I was recommended to do daily. (and basically forever, to stop future flare ups) It takes 10 minutes,

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/backpain/pages/sciatica-exercises.aspx

I've been referred for physio but its a 12-16 week wait for an appointment UGG!!!

@Slimpossible007. Sciatica sucks.

The listed stretches are good and help. Please do them, they work.

Another stretch I found in the past that works well for me is this (only requires a chair and a clear patch of floor). Lie on the floor with calves resting on the chair seat. Knees bend is 90 degrees. Hip bend is 90 degrees. Chair should be high enough to take almost all the weight off the hips but not lift the tailbone more than 1/4" off the ground. Stay there for about 10-15 minutes (meditate, listen to music, read a book, watch TV, etc..). This relieves pressure on the spine and the nerves being pinched (like a no cost traction). Repeat this daily for about a week and sciatica symptoms should reduce.

One of the things a physio can do for sciatica is traction (band round hips and another under ribs and initiate a constant gentle pull to extend the spine). This is maintained for about 10 to 15 minutes. I used to have this done many years ago when competitively pairs skating and suffering bouts of sciatica from pinched disc caused by lifting my partner many times a week (my partner was round 60kg and I would lift and support her over my head - Often I would use a hard back brace when learning new lifts to take the strain off my back).

Other exercise is gentle (slow pace - even ground) walking but only when walking is relatively pain free. 10 mins or more continuous. Pain free movement helps reduce increase blood flow and reduce inflammation that can be pressing on the nerve. (This is why physios use heat packs before traction or manipulation).

Best of luck for a speedy recovery. Most often sciatica is temporary when treated with stretching and gentle exercise.