September 22 sign in

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    September 22
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 5 Km in 39mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes.
    Tracked?: Yes.

Warm day today, did not need a jumper (sweater).

Great dinner with wife an daughter at Teppanyaki (for my wife's birthday). Almost went over calorie budget (didn't care if I did, it's a special occasion). Even finished off the last piece of left over pavlova. I went into my exercise buffer (but that's what it is there for :) ).

Weekend at last. Yay.

With goal setting all the points listed are essential: Define, want, BELIEVE, write, divide, review, schedule, do. Another thing that helps in reaching goals is share your goals with others. By telling other what you are going to do, you are more likely to follow through. External accountability is a great motivator. It is harder to break a promise to someone else than it is to yourself.

Have SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Timely). If you miss a smart goal, re-assess against the criteria. Often one criteria comes up short (usually "Relevant" or "Attainable").

The power of "Believe"

Oddly enough, the quote from my profile is: "To achieve the impossible, you must first come to believe it's possible." (it's largely from Alice through the looking glass, but I though it was particularly relevant).

When I was 89kg, I did not believe 70kg was possible for me at age 48/49, but 75kg was on the distant edge of believable. When I hit 75kg, 70kg became believable. I have been under 70kg for over a month now. However my main goal is to maintain health, strength and size; not weight (and I believe I can do that by staying vigilant).

I used to think one chin up on a door frame was near impossible (not enough grip space, strength in fingertips, strength in arms). I did four after my walk today before taking a shower. (I used door jam pulls to slowly build up arm (bicep) and finger strength).

I used to think walking 5km in the hills under 40 mins was not possible. Now I consider 39 minutes for the 5km a slow day (yet to break 37 minutes though).

Set goals you can believe are possible. When you get there, you have a new perspective. From you new perspective what you believe is possible may have changed.
  • 120maggie
    120maggie Posts: 4,986 Member
    Options
    Where is everybody? Looks like the weekend is starting early!!
    So glad you started the conversation about goals. It has me thinking it is time to set the next one. Over the summer the UAC has got me back to where I wanted to be --the right number on the scale, and I can grab any pair of pants in my closet. But maintenance can be boring. The excitement of a new scale number or looser clothes isn't there. I need to think on this one because we are going into fall - shorter days are hampering activities.
    Walked before dawn and hike in the early evening. Tracked and under calories.
  • fightingthetideofaging
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? No, still a bit dizzy, so taking Pass Day #3.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • cardio_enthusiast
    cardio_enthusiast Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    22-Sept-2017

Yes x3, today.
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? yes
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,414 Member
    Options
    Well, food was more carby then I like and exercise was about half my normal amount but on the plus side I now have an inhaler and should been feeling better soon! Luckily just bronchitis and not pneumonia!!! Should be back to normal again soon!!

I also believe in going slow and steady. This isn't a race against someone else, this is about slowly improving yourself . I really love doing yoga and boy the progress is slow but when you do experience more flexibility it feels great! Sometimes it take months to notice a change but it is so worth it!
  • windowqueen2003
    windowqueen2003 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    September 22
    Exercise yes
    Calories yes
    Tracked yes
  • astroamy
    astroamy Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Exercise: 18000 steps.
    Calories: Unfortunately no, so this will have to be my second pass day.
    Track everything: Yes.
  • RangerRickL
    RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
    Options
    Today, I went to the chiropractor because I strained a back muscle and torqued my lower spine while lifting heavy boxes. After electrostimulation and an adjustment, he said, "Don't twist much!" He doesn't understand how one cleans up horse manure. It's scoop; lift; twist; and throw! Oh well, maybe the 3 horses will just 'hold-it' until Monday...NOT!
    Calories: Ok and under by about 345
    Tracking: Ok
    Exercise: farm activity and chores, including the activity described above!!!
  • pribud
    pribud Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Pass day for me
    :(
  • loopydo2017
    loopydo2017 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Yes x3 today. Put my 4 year old in the stroller and we headed out for a brisk 8km walk. Got a little lost in an unfamiliar neighbourhood but we just called it an adventure!
    @RangerRickL sorry to hear about your back. Hope you are able to rest it enough to recover quickly.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Sept 22
    Exercise: 20 min various exercises
    calories: yes
    Tracked: yes
  • SimonsChange
    SimonsChange Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes 30mins of cardio
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

It's always good to reexamine your goals and work hard on whatever you decide, in the beginning I just wanted to lose weight and become healthy which I managed to do by a huge amount which I'm still proud of

My current goal is just to improve on my cardiovascular health and capacity by working on my sprints so I can move on to another goal after that.

I will always crush my goals and surpass it by far and never stop improving as long as I keep my mental strong as I believe with a strong mind anything is possible regardless of a persons situation or standing in life.

Keep it up everyone the smallest change can lead to such a huge difference in life.
  • LoraineGB
    LoraineGB Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154 we are opposite, I had to put on long sleeves for our walk today, first time in four months. Weather has finally broken and I'm so excited for Autumn to finally be here.

One of my goals was to hit a certain number on the scales by April next year (less than 1lb per week), I am a turtle. Turns out I am a turtle's turtle and my goal for next April has been set back by life and I'll hit it when I get there.

Numbers used to incentivise me, not any more. My goal for the next few months is to change up my activity. There is a 'seniors' exercise class that I'm just old enough to join and it's cool enough to get a few evenings walk in.

Meal planning is also a goal. I'm good for breakfast and lunch but wing it for tea most days. Of course, that means grocery shopping, which is in the top three of my least favourite things to do.

• pears734
    pears734 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Exercise? Yes; 46 minutes of strength training and a 1.3 mile run
    Calories? Yes
    Tracking? Yes