Blisters after "long" runs

Options
victory68
victory68 Posts: 76 Member
Hey guys so I'm trying to slowly increase my distance and I know not to increase too much too soon. I usually run 4 days a week. 3 of those days I only have time for 2-3 miles and then one day a week I go on a long run 4-5 miles and I am slowly trying to stay closer to the 5 mile mark in order to work my way up to 6. I never increase my long run by more than a quarter mile at a time. However these past two weeks I come back from my long run with blisters on the inside arch of my foot. They are little ones that clear up in a couple days and I went to a proper running store for my shoes so I know they fit properly. I've had these shoes for about 80-100 miles so it's not that they are new. Any suggestions of things I am doing wrong? Are blisters just part of the hobby or can I do something different to continue to add distance without blisters.

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Blisters are not just part of running. They mean something is rubbing that shouldn't, and I've never heard of blisters on the arch before. They can't be common.

The usual suspect causes would be poorly fitting shoes; cotton socks; or perhaps not lacing the shoes with proper firmness. Things to try include good running socks, maybe some inserts (Superfeet are popular, but not for everyone), body glide or vaseline where the blisters form, and pay attention to how your foot may be moving in the shoe where the blisters happen. If none of that works, and the people at the running store can't figure out something to cure it, you might have to consult a podiatrist to figure out what it is about your feet, specifically, that produces the blisters where most runners don't get them.
  • Bluebell2325
    Bluebell2325 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I run a lot and I generally only get blisters when I'm gardening (in old useless shoes I don't mind getting filthy) and then it's on side of my big toe. A good pair of socks and shoes should not do that to you. Sounds very painful. Good luck getting to bottom of it. Things to watch would be. Rubbish socks. Wet feet. Are you sliding around a lot in your shoes? Is the shoe too high in that area or too rigid??
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have very high arches and I used to get blisters on them because they "collapse" as I run. Try getting a pair of inserts for your shoes that have arch supports. I like Powerstep insoles. They are sold by my local running store and also recommended by my podiatrist.
  • victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thank you guys! I will try out some inserts I appreciate your advice! I also picked up some better socks I hadn't been using runner socks.