Needles

Options
hjstarr
hjstarr Posts: 13 Member
I just received my saxenda prescription. The box of 100 needles cost me $36, which isn't bad, but curious if there is a less expensive option y'all have been successful with.

Also, how do y'all dispose of your needles safely?

Replies

• mopqqq
    mopqqq Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't know about lower-cost options.

I don't have a sharps bin so what *I* do (and I'm not advocating it for anyone else, as you could stick yourself) is recap the needle, unscrew it, and use the inner cap (ONLY if you're using novotwist, I wouldn't try it with the novofine innercap) or a chopstick, or something else hard, to bend that inside needle portion flat. Then I stuff the used alcohol prep and the needle label inside the needle, and stick the whole thing inside the alcohol prep wrapper before discarding.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I was in one of the trial groups for this drug before it was released (and it must have been in the placebo group); in the year that I was doing that, I only stuck myself with the inside of the needle once.
  • bio79
    bio79 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    the pharmacy gave me a sharps container to dispose of the needle tips. I have Novo Fine tips and the saxenda instructions I believe said to twist the clear cap back on after then unscrew the needle tip from the pen so that is what I do then I drop it in the sharps container. When it is full I am to bring it back to the pharmacy for disposal,
  • Mandi5Dogs
    Mandi5Dogs Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I made my own sharps container from a plastic container. Sams Club sells Magic Erasers and they come in a box that is the perfect size. I just cut a hole in the top. I tape it up and label it, then send it to the landfill. This is probabaly not the best way, I just don't know of anyone that will dispose of the container for me.
  • stacydianereagan
    stacydianereagan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I asked the pharmacy for generic needles. They were $10. Ask them to look for a substitution or buy them on amazon.
  • heatherhovis43
    heatherhovis43 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hjstarr wrote: »
    I just received my saxenda prescription. The box of 100 needles cost me $36, which isn't bad, but curious if there is a less expensive option y'all have been successful with.

Also, how do y'all dispose of your needles safely?

Amazon is much cheaper for needles . Message me if you'd like a couple links