Class and Practice Check in - Week of 10/2/2017

Options
Out_of_Bubblegum
Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
edited October 2017 in Social Groups
As martial artists who are also members of a WL and fitness website, it can be helpful for us to remain accountable to each other, and share training ideas.

Any time you participate in class, or practice out side of class, post here and let everyone know. You can write something as simple as "Went to sparring class... got my licks in", or get into as much detail on the practice as you'd like.

This post gets rebuilt every week, to remind us to approach each practice/training/class with a fresh perspective:

- It doesn't matter how hard you worked yesterday... what matters is what you do today.

Replies

• shadowbaby4
    shadowbaby4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Jiu jitsu was pretty good today--it's officially my second month of classes, and I'm feeling a little less overwhelmed by all the new material.

Judo flew by, as always. I'm seeing a lot of improvement in my technique! I mean, I still haven't managed to throw a higher belt who's defending, but I don't get dumped on my back so often. So that's a plus!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Endurance work tonight... I have set a new goal for myself. I want to be able to complete every form and 1 step I know, in order from white belt through 4th Dan, then back down to white belt, all with full power and complete it in less than 1 hour. I am calling this 'Up and down the ladder'.

Tonight I made it up the ladder and almost half way back down in 47 minutes when my technique just would no longer hold any power and I had to stop.

Train hard.... Test easy.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Boxing bag class yesterday then some strength and conditioning. My knuckle on my left hand is cut right at the joint and taking forever to heal so bagwork is limited to right hand contact only.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    We worked on katas tonight and spent a little time on nunchucks.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Light practice tonight. Forms practice, with round, side and hook kicks executed slowly.
  • Bianca42
    Options
    I'm doing Core de Force workouts on non-class days this month. Dynamic Strength this morning...must have been 14+ minutes of push-ups in different varieties. My shoulders are definitely feeling it today.
  • shadowbaby4
    shadowbaby4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You guys, I was the ONLY one who showed up to jiu jitsu today, so it was just me and two instructors for the hour. I learned SO MUCH. It was amazing.

In judo, I'm feeling really proud of my progress. My Sensei is pretty stingy with praise, but I got several "goods" out of him tonight! And you know why? Because I'm using techniques I've carried over from jiu jitsu. Training both has helped my skill and my confidence in both! I'm really happy.
  • Bianca42
    Options
    You guys, I was the ONLY one who showed up to jiu jitsu today, so it was just me and two instructors for the hour. I learned SO MUCH. It was amazing.

In judo, I'm feeling really proud of my progress. My Sensei is pretty stingy with praise, but I got several "goods" out of him tonight! And you know why? Because I'm using techniques I've carried over from jiu jitsu. Training both has helped my skill and my confidence in both! I'm really happy.

I love when nobody else shows and it turns into a private lesson. It's happened a couple times for me. (Well, I have to share my private lesson with my two boys, but it's still awesome.)
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bianca42 wrote: »

I love when nobody else shows and it turns into a private lesson. It's happened a couple times for me. (Well, I have to share my private lesson with my two boys, but it's still awesome.)

I used to love my Sunday classes for this reason, quite often it would be me, my two boys and maybe one other person, sometimes with 3 instructors between 4 of us. Now other members have realised we get more chance of one-to-one training on a Sunday, and it's become almost as busy as a midweek lesson

Kobudo training last night, we practised kata for next month's demonstration (it's a local "Japan Day" festival, we have a 15 minute slot to demonstrate our different weapons). My friend has been working on an amazing demonstration of bunkai for a knife kata, it was awesome to watch but it made my short Jo kata look a bit pathetic
  • Brabo_Grip
    Options
    Yesterday 5k run at noon then night boxing class and an hour of sparring after.

Today a 1/4 mile swim for triathlon training. Hope to make it to kickboxing class tonight, but that depends on the kiddos.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Forms practice tonight... Worked on my highest form. Lost balance during a kick combo and ended up damaging a wall and my big toe... Not too serious though. Bandaged up the toe and finished the workout. Wall will have to wait until this weekend. My wife.... Not impressed.
  • Bianca42
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »
    Forms practice tonight... Worked on my highest form. Lost balance during a kick combo and ended up damaging a wall and my big toe... Not too serious though. Bandaged up the toe and finished the workout. Wall will have to wait until this weekend. My wife.... Not impressed.

Those pesky walls.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain Malone, I usually break my toes on the feet of blackbelts, I think I prefer your method.
  • Bianca42
    Options
    45 minute sparring class this morning. I sparred with two different ladies who are getting ready for their black belt testing. They both did a great job going a little easy on me and explaining things I was doing wrong/right. I learned a ton today.
  • faerie0506
    faerie0506 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    First Muay Thai interclub today, glad I finally got one done. :)
    I had 2 matches, first one against a Junior, so no head contact allowed. This threw me off a bit I must admit, I was slow, timid, and just not busy enough. Left the ring a bit disappointed with myself to be honest.
    Got my act together for the second one, and it was much better. Against someone who hadn't been doing Thai for very long, but 14 years of karate and 4 years boxing, so I felt able to let go a bit more and as a result got more done.
    I still need to improve my defence a lot, and work on fluency, throw more combinations etc.
    Overall, it was a great experience, I feel like I learnt a lot, and I can't wait for the next one. :)

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Sounds like a good time - congrats on the matches, @faerie0506
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Black belt class today... conditioning: pullups and squats (I hit 3 unassisted pullups today - very happy!), sparring, kicking drills, then ground work - learned a bit about side control... Great class.
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    We had 2 90 minute karate lessons yesterday. We had a club photo session in the afternoon with Sensei being awarded his 6th Dan - he'd planned the photo session but he had no idea about the grading, it was really nice to get the whole club together to see him getting his award. Lots of guest Senseis turned up for the award and they put on an unplanned extra training session for us, it is always good to see how other clubs train.
    Then we had time to walk home, put some food in the oven and head back for our usual evening class. No other members turned up so it was just me and my 2 boys sharing the teacher, we did loads of work on kicks, concentrating on getting more height for my youngest, and learning how to control kicks for my eldest (he has got much bigger and stronger in the last year but hasn't learned to pull his kicks and punches yet).
    My legs, and especially my feet, really hurt now. But I expect we will still be training tonight :smiley:
  • Brabo_Grip
    Options
    I didn't check in line I should have at the end of the week. Still hitting noon kickboxing everyday and doing my triathlon training on the side.

Saturday I put a Gi on for the first time since my rib re-injury at Master Worlds at the end of August. We had Mike Fowler (high level and pretty well known BJJ black belt) in for a seminar. Dirt cheap at $25 and one of the better seminars I have ever been to. I even got to have a light roll with him. It felt good to be on the mats. Hard rolling is still of the table for awhile, but doing drills and flow rolling seems to be ok.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Bianca42 wrote: »

i totally have mixed feelings about when this happens to me, because i'm often terrified. it's so much harder when it's one on one! i know it's good but sometimes it feels so bad lol