What can we do to support YOU?

Options
crimsongrey
crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
Since it can sometimes be hard to get friends and family to truly support you (my husband is an enabler and my friends are too nice to push me), what can we do on here to help you push through the tough times?
For me, I would really love it if you all would get after me if I don't go running enough. It makes such a difference in my mental state when I run. It relieves my depression and anxiety and gives me a much better outlook on life. I am much more motivated to get things done. My skin looks better and obviously, I burn a lot of calories. So, if I share anything that sounds like I'm not mentally strong, remind me that running is the key! If I can just get myself out the door, it's always worth it.

Also, beer! I haven't had one since Thursday. Even though I LOVE having one (or 2) after a long day at the barn, it's not worth it. Beer is fattening and doesn't help with the depression/anxiety. I just don't want to drink anymore at home and only have 1 on special occasions. Weekends are NOT special occasions! Please keep me honest with this issue.

Thanks for your support and hopefully we can help each other reach our goals :smile:

Replies

• Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My SO is an enabler, too. To be fair, though, so am I. :smile:

I need to make healthier food choices and I need to make time for the gym at least three times a week. I feel better when I eat better (more protein, more fruits/veggies, less flour) and I know the weight training is helping my riding. I get overwhelmed and stressed out easily because I have to do everything perfectly, so I've given myself permission to do just gym time for now. When that feels more like habit, I'll add the food component. Unfortunately, this week is a bust because of work commitments making my day earlier and longer than normal with no personal break time.

The thing I need the most help with, though, is acknowledging progress. The scale doesn't move unless I control my food intake and most of the time, I'm okay with that. I know I need to lose weight but my primary motivator is progress in riding. I struggle to see that.

Yesterday, my trainer had to remind me of just how much progress I've made. A week ago, we switched my OTTB from a dressage saddle to an AP and now his strides are much freer (suddenly, it seems to me). I asked my trainer if the dressage saddle had been that poorly fitted to him to make that much difference. She said no, the saddle fit him just fine. The change I'm seeing really hasn't been sudden. She said he is moving better because I am stronger and better balanced. The only thing the saddle did was let me use a shorter stirrup without killing my knees so we could do 2 point work this month. Progress.... I struggle to see it in myself.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @Here4Ponies - “She said he is moving better because I am stronger and better balanced.” That is an amazing accomplishment! Congrats on that.

For me I need encouragement to simply get out and ride. I go to work out w a trainer once a week w a friend. Twice a week I do yoga with friends as well. I have been pretty consistent w my eating since I started this July 3rd - 30 lbs gone - although I find my weight loss has slowed down as I don’t measure m food, esp carbs, lately, just guesstimating which is a slippery slope

Aug 18 I came off Thor hard - my fault, not his. Hurt myself pretty bad. It was hard to breath let alone work out or ride. I am feeling a lot better and have returned to yoga and working out but my hubby has asked me not to ride alone. My trainer only seems to be available when I am committed elsewhere and my one local friend who rides seems to have lost interest. Winter is com8 g with less opportunities to ride. The whole point, for me, of losing weight and getting stronger is to improve my riding and my partnership with Thor. Can’t do that if I never ride.

Thanks for listening. Feel free to come ride with me ;)
  • Here4Ponies
    Options
    Shron123 wrote: »
    I have been pretty consistent w my eating since I started this July 3rd - 30 lbs gone -

Awesome loss!

Would your husband agree to letting you call before you get on and again when you get off with a time limit? I'm only able to ride at night because of work which means I'm sometimes alone at the barn, especially in the cold darkness of winter. I call my SO just before getting on then again immediately after getting off. I set a timer on my phone so I don't forget, usually for 45 minutes. If he hasn't heard from me by then, he starts calling - me first, then the barn owner, then my trainer - until he finds someone to go check on me (he usually works evenings).

• Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I suggested that but he was there when I fell and is pretty stressed about it. Especially since it took weeks for me to get back to normal and he was there thru it all. I am riding Fri w a friend and hubby and I are doing a ride on the weekend - 20 miles. If my friend or trainer ride w me a couple of times next week then I think I will do the check in thing and at least ride in the paddock here.
    Thanks for yr suggestion and support. It is much appreciated.
  • Here4Ponies
    Options
    @Shron123 sounds like a good plan