October 11 Sign In

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    October 11
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 5 Km in 36 mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes.
    Tracked?: Yes.

Good walk today, under 37 mins without pushing too hard. Tracking app on phone went crazy and reported 38km (in 37mins - I don't think so - I'm fast, but not that fast :) ).

Unfortunately late rain called off daily walk with wife. Likely tomorrow though.

Another long work day.

@RangerRickL. Rest days are important (like sleep). It is not a do nothing day, it's a take it easy day (as you said, walking is fine - but not my regular walking :) ).

Pop quiz for the group. Do people know where the weight goes when you lose weight? (Answer tomorrow if no-one posts the correct answer).
  • trixsey1
    trixsey1 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »

Good walk today, under 37 mins without pushing too hard. Tracking app on phone went crazy and reported 38km (in 37mins - I don't think so - I'm fast, but not that fast :) ).

Lol, had to have a giggle at that one! :D

October 10th

Exercised?: Yes.
    Calories?: Yes.
    Tracked?: Yes.

Jog in the morning (35mins), walk with the woofies (5 miles) and a hour and a half bike ride in the evening. Managed to squeeze all that in around other things in the day, so was on the go until 9pm yesterday.
    I can honestly say there is just not enough hours in a day! lol.

Today..

October 11th

Posting a little earlier today as I have loads to do still and I know I won't get back on here again tonight, but all is logged and tracked for the day.

Jog this morning, (30mins) walk into town - food shop and walk back (40mins) and a doggie walk, just a hour today, as I have errands to do unfortunately.

My son's birthday tomorrow, so I'm taking a pass day - my second one for this month, and not sure if it'll be my last as the kids half term break from college is coming up, so it can swing either way there.

I'll try and make the winners circle, but I'm okay with it if I don't.
    I'm always active, I rarely go over budget on my calories, but if I do, I have no probs eating back some of the calories freed from exercise but I'll track the best I can during tomorrow and whatever our plans may be during half term and see how it goes.

Rest days, like Rick and Craig posted are important (it took me a while to see this at first). I usually go for a walk on my rest days, clean the house and tidy the garden if the weather permits, oh and make sure the "zoo" is all clean and taken care of...

On my workout days, I start my day with a jog, a little strength training with weights, a walk with the dogs (much longer and a faster pace) and a bike ride now includes my active day and I spread these activities out throughout that day to fit in with everything else...eg, work, kids, cooking...etc...

It does take a while to find the right balance between work, home and exercise, but once you have found it, you will find you can fit more things into your day - it just takes a change of lifestyle which I think for most peeps is the hardest thing, as it means breaking up the routine of your day. Life in the comfort zone is easy.

Routine isn't for me, I hate the monotony of it. Change is good and you are open to more experiences and opportunities and have loads of fun figuring it out along the way!

Anyway, as always I'm droning on, lol....

Hope you've all had a good day today. Hugs.....xx
  • cardio_enthusiast
    cardio_enthusiast Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    October 11

Pop quiz for the group. Do people know where the weight goes when you lose weight? (Answer tomorrow if no-one posts the correct answer).

LOL! Great question, @craigo3154!

Ok, I think that when there's weight loss, the fat cells shrink--they release the fat and somehow that excreted fat gets expelled from the body.

So, are the contents expelled through our skin, kidneys, by breathing, or bowels? That's the part that I can't remember from biology. :*

• trixsey1
    trixsey1 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    October 11

Ok, I think that when there's weight loss, the fat cells shrink--they release the fat and somehow that excreted fat gets expelled from the body.

So, are the contents expelled through our skin, kidneys, by breathing, or bowels? That's the part that I can't remember from biology. :*

You breathe it out.
  • oykucan
    oykucan Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Exercised: Yes.
    Calories: Yes.
    Tracked: Yes.
    I only logged a 30 min. walk for exercise today but I actually did more than that. I am at my parents' in my village for the rest of the week and as the weather is getting cold they're in the middle of building stone shelters for our animals so today I helped them in building and painting those tents and herding the animals in. This is actually very heavy physical work and I've probably burnt far more than I've eaten. There was also flaying the geese for the market which is also hard. But I really don't know how to log these or calorie burning values so I couldn't log them. Any ideas?
  • Gus130
    Gus130 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes. I had a rough day, but was able to move a little.
  • cardio_enthusiast
    cardio_enthusiast Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    11-Oct-2017

Exercise: yes, about an hour of high impact circuit training

Calories: yes, I'm within my goal

Tracking: everything has been tracked
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    trixsey1 wrote: »
    October 11

You breathe it out.

@cardio_enthusiast. Really close.
    @trixsey1. Full marks to you.

Fat being "C58 H112 O6" when combined with 83 "O2" (Oxygen) molecules makes 58 "CO2" (carbon dioxide) molecules and 56 "H2O" (water) molecules (and some energy during the conversion).

You breathe out the CO2 and a fair percentage of the water.

(This is why a VO2 max test can determine how many calories the body is turning into energy :) )

You would be surprised how many people have no idea about this.

A lot would guess it's converted into energy. However, if that occurred 1g of fat has the power to destroy a city block (E=MC squared - 89,875,517,873 Kj - 90 trillion kilojoules - enough energy to keep a commercial passenger jet (737) in the air for 20+ years).

Also the fat cells shrink and grow, but never disappear. Irrespective of body fat %, you will always have the same number of fat cells (unless you have them surgically removed).
  • fightingthetideofaging
    Options
    Pass #2- Total rest day.
  • ashsmile78
    ashsmile78 Posts: 3,528 Member
    Options
    I cleaned tonight too. I did a lot more lifting this time. So I rated it as heavy instead of light to moderate. We’re getting a lot done.

Showing our house to two people on Saturday. Hoping it won’t be hard to sell.

Tracked everything

Under calories
  • ShelleyMJ46
    ShelleyMJ46 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Track: yes
    Calories: yes under
    Exercise: yes, just walking though
  • tinacuso
    tinacuso Posts: 4,258 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, went for a quick walk tonight
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    Love today's insightful post. I am actually taking PASS Day 1.

Had our "date night" meal at lunch today, and I decided to rest my feet. Last Saturday I did an awesome outdoor walk for 2 hrs on a bike/hiking trail. I used my old dirty shoes and short socks. The socks had a hole in one of the heels, and, as a result, both of my heels became very raw. They are still bothering me, so I decided to take a rest day. Back at it tomorrow.
  • astroamy
    astroamy Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Oct 10:
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Ran for 36 minutes plus 9k steps

Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes, well under.

Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes.

Oct 11:
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? 40 minute bike ride plus strength training class.

Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes, well under.

Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the fat cells fill with water for a time being then whosh it releases it all and you drop weight
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes 16,000 steps plus yoga
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • RangerRickL
    RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that @craigo3154 taught us something new. I looked up the research that was recently published by Sir Craig's fellow Australian scientists. Good to know the truth about that fat.
    My report:
    Calories: nice margin below my limit
    Exercise: 25 minutes of walking
    Tracking: good
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    yes x 3
  • windowqueen2003
    windowqueen2003 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    October 11
    Pass day #1
    Office work today for our business. Went shopping with a friend mid afternoon. Did not plan well. I did not stop long enough to have lunch just a light snack. When I got home was so hungry I ate too much and had a drink. Too tired to exercise. Sitting here thinking what I could have done different. Like the topic a few days ago -- forgiveness might be in order. Being kind to myself doesn't hurt either as per yesterdays post. Here's to better planning tomorrow.

Great job everybody!! Nice to hear your successes.