shenry111
shenry111 Posts: 4,155 Member
Good Morning!

Replies

• manladdvm
    manladdvm Posts: 8,718 Member
    Options
    Mornin' gents.

Busy weekend. Work and dog trial. No ribbons this weekend.

Be OP ;-)
  • shenry111
    Options
    Good Morning!

Busy start to another week. Connie speaking tonight in Leavenworth to convicted DUI offenders. I am her driver and IT support. She does an awesome job. Did I tell you guys that a radio spot that she did was selected by the Kansas Broadcasters Association as the best in Kansas for 2017. MADD is going to use that spot on a national basis!

Did a lot of purging and cleaning this weekend. More to come.

Have a great day!
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,982 Member
    Options
    Good morning gentlemen.

I know you are talking about your garage, Steve. But, on a site devoted to weight loss, purging and cleaning brings a completely different mental image.

Yesterday, I stepped on the scale and read 184 lbs. - my WW goal weight. That is also the highest weight I have been at since I first made goal more than eight years ago. To make matters worse, I can look back and see that 15 months ago, I was at 164. Clearly, my recent maintenance has not been working very well. Yesterday, I started tracking again. I'll use the MFP APP, this time.
  • mikehikemike
    mikehikemike Posts: 3,480 Member
    Options
    Morning men. Pretty cool about the radio spot Steve. Dave, LOL over your garage comment.

I got on the scale and have gained yet more weight. 195.4 this morning. Highest I've been since I reached WW goal (174) many years ago.

Dave-- could I pick your wood-turning brain? It's a question about wood drying... I have made canoe push poles from black spruce saplings and they all get longitudinal cracks. Tried cutting live trees, long-dead with bark flaking off and recently dead with bark still firmly adhered, all still standing. Either I find cracks when I get home or they develop after awhile. I peel the bark, sand knots and oil with linseed, storing outdoors tied under my canoe. Any suggestions or resources?
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,598 Member
    Options
    Good Morning. Steve, that radio show was well worth the award. I streamed it and sat in my car to listen and was late for an appointment. I think she mentioned going to Leavenworth or another prison on it and got a comment that Mrs Henry needed to get a life and responded that Mrs Henry had a life and this was it and it was about as good as it gets. Don't mess with Connie.

My eldest son came by on his back to LA where he now lives. These times of 4 of us around the table are getting rare but his mother did nail down Thanksgiving & Christmas. Caught up on sleep. Still learning the habit of foam rolling and doing certain stretches 2-3x a day to keep current pain down and enable sitting for longer stretches. I resume swimming tomorrow and try to push a harder walk today. Behave!
  • wethlaw
    wethlaw Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Good morning all and happy Monday. Steve that is so awesome what you and DW are doing to further such a worthy cause.
    Unfortunately I am also really off target and although lost maybe 7 lbs...still far off of the 20 I told my Doctor I would lose to avoid having to get on meds...really going to try...Alas a recurring promise. Hears to holding on to strength.
    Be well all.
  • shenry111
    Options
    Thanks, guys for the encouraging words!

John, I remember at the first of the year, and you talked about those 20 pounds. YTD, I have lost 11.6, but I really want to lose another 30.

What can we do to set up encouragement for you, and possibly an accountability tool?

Steve
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,982 Member
    Options
    Mike, wood cracks, typically out from the pith, as it dries. I have had good luck with some cherry walking sticks. They only cracked at knots and I filled the cracks with epoxy. But most long poles will have some splitting. If I were trying to avoid that, I would start with something much larger in diameter than you want. I would then split it with a fro or a hatchet and some wedges until I had long pieces that I could round out with a draw knife and spokeshave. Using a spruce log, say 6" in diameter, you should end up with three or four smooth poles that would last you for years. I wish you could come over so we could work on it together.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,106 Member
    Options
    Lots of hugs for you and Connie, Steve for her presentation. Congrats on the best in Kansas award too.
    Nice fall day here for sure.
  • mikehikemike
    mikehikemike Posts: 3,480 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.. and the kind offer. Alas, it's a long walk from here.
  • manladdvm
    manladdvm Posts: 8,718 Member
    Options
    Connie rocks!