Practice/Class frequency

Options
What is your preferred schedule? Do you train every day rain or shine, or maybe go to class 2x/week?

Replies

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    When I was a teenager, I wanted to drink from the firehose... there was no such thing as "enough" martial arts. 3 classes per day, 5 days per week, and 1 on Saturday too (because that was the only one offered on Saturday), plus practice on my own 3 days per week. Tournaments, seminars, testings, demonstration teams... if it was on offer, I was there.

Now my frequency varies depending on my schedule... but mostly it's about 4-5 days per week, anywhere from 30-90 minutes per day that I spend on my own training, and 90 minutes black belt class on Sunday.

I would like to do more, but family and work life make it a lot harder to find enough time... and as I have gotten older, my recovery between harder workouts is longer.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I usually go 3x per week. two 1 hour sessions and one 2 hour session. I usually supplement with 2 hrs of acrobatics class per week, 1 handstands class and 1 flexibility class. Practicing at home is hard for me because of space issues. I can do handforms a little inside, but weapons need to be outside and I don't have a yard as such, so it always has to be in public (which I hate). When it's rainy out I definitely don't practice on my own as much.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Right now my only organized class is 1 time per week and that is the one I teach. I do my own training 2-3 days over that
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Just starting back up I've only done the 2 classes a week. I do plan on adding some independent practicing at home at least one weekend day for now. I'm anxious to learn the next belt's form...Tan Gun or To San, not sure which comes first I just remember what it looks like.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    2 classes a week (sometimes 3). I try to workout 5-6 times a week. On non-class days I do a beachbody workout at home. Lately, it's been Core de Force...which I find helps reinforce my regular training.
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    3-4 times per week for classes but I try to do some kind of workout every day, not all martial arts, sometimes just a strength training session or a commute on my bike.
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I do usually 2 to 3'Sessions Martial arts in a Week. Pilates 1 to 2 sessions a Week and climbing once a week. I do about 20 to 30 mins Pilates a day to strengthen my muscle on old injuries n to avoid for it to get worse. We don't have kids so we can spend a lot of time doing sports
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    7-10x a week is my average unless I am injured like I am now. Still getting in 5-6 times in addition to the non-MA stuff I am doing. I honestly don't feel normal on a lighter schedule. (I'm a bit obsessive, but at least this is generally good for me.
  • criticaldog
    criticaldog Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ideally I get in 3 classes a week, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, plus running 3-4 times a week and lifting 2-3 times a week.

Lately I'm lucky to get 2 classes in due to a lingering back injury.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Classes: two to five times a week, depending on family/work obligations. Those classes will last from 60 to 120 mins.

Home practice? :# Let's just say that currently there is room for improvement! I was practising daily in the run-up to my last belt test, and I felt the difference, but mostly I'm coasting on the practice I put in back when my life was less full.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    Valsgoals wrote: »
    Just starting back up I've only done the 2 classes a week. I do plan on adding some independent practicing at home at least one weekend day for now. I'm anxious to learn the next belt's form...Tan Gun or To San, not sure which comes first I just remember what it looks like.
    If your school does one-pattern-per-belt, as opposed to teaching belt groups the same pattern and cycling them, I'm about 87% sure that Tan Gun will be first.

• Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    @Helium, Both those forms are for the Orange belt in my school. You are right tho, I just found out last night that Tan Gun is the lower (first) Orange form.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    @Helium, Both those forms are for the Orange belt in my school. You are right tho, I just found out last night that Tan Gun is the lower (first) Orange form.
    Yep. It's officially before the other one, in ITF order, but there was always a chance that your school had developed a different teaching order.

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    If your school does one-pattern-per-belt, as opposed to teaching belt groups the same pattern and cycling them, I'm about 87% sure that Tan Gun will be first.

We do one per belt. Our progression is gi choy, chong gi, do san, yul gok, tae guk 6, hwa rang, tae guk 8, choo mu.

After that black belts do different form depending on cycle and dan.

For frequency i train usually 5 days a week and its still not really enough
  • HeliumIsNoble
    edited October 2017
    Options

We do one per belt. Our progression is gi choy, chong gi, do san, yul gok, tae guk 6, hwa rang, tae guk 8, choo mu.

After that black belts do different form depending on cycle and dan.

For frequency i train usually 5 days a week and its still not really enough
    That's more similar to mine than I expected. I thought WTF had a totally different sequence of forms to ITF?

EDIT: this is not a criticism of your instructors. As far I can know, it's perfectly normal for teams to evolve their own tried and tested approach for what 'works' as a teaching system for the skills they want to see in their students.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Don't ask me why because I don't know, but we do ITF style forms. We spar using ITF gear as well (because it's more protective) but we are a WTF and Kukkiwon certified school that spars WTF/olympic style. We are a MASSIVE school of 9 locations, 3 owned by each of one of grandmasters, and each one is run a bit differently. The school has been around since 1986.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I would presume that they've decided to ignore political partisanship and aimed to take the best traits from each style! Either they or their instructors would have been practising taekwon-do before the WTF was founded- they're not going to be worried that the world will explode if they do sparring WTF-style in combination with some ITF forms.

The forms look like a careful mix, too. Two of those are distinctively WTF* names and replace some of the ITF patterns. Again, personal judgement, presumably. That, or your instructors just detest forms with multiple knifehand guarding blocks. ;)

*I know the federation has been rebranded as World Taekwondo now, but I've always loved peppering TKD convos with WTF, so... ;)
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    It will always be wtf in my heart
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Currently my club has two jiu jitsu classes and one open mat per week. I try and get to kids class once or twice a week (of the 3 kids classes) to work with a mom or two who are there anyway and can't always get to evening classes (more rolling or drilling time is always beneficial for me). We are adding three new classes a week though, (one I definitely can't do often) but that still means I can get up to 8 sessions of Jiu jitsu per week now.
    Training at home (or gym) is more conditioning, yoga and strength because it's not possible to really do Jiu Jitsu without a partner.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I would presume that they've decided to ignore political partisanship and aimed to take the best traits from each style! Either they or their instructors would have been practising taekwon-do before the WTF was founded- they're not going to be worried that the world will explode if they do sparring WTF-style in combination with some ITF forms.

The forms look like a careful mix, too. Two of those are distinctively WTF* names and replace some of the ITF patterns. Again, personal judgement, presumably. That, or your instructors just detest forms with multiple knifehand guarding blocks. ;)

*I know the federation has been rebranded as World Taekwondo now, but I've always loved peppering TKD convos with WTF, so... ;)

Kukkiwon has some very specific requirements on poomse to test for black belt, but leave curriculum up to the individual schools as long as the minimum standard is met. From several masters I've spoken to, I am told that it is expected that a school will supplement training from traditional forms in addition to the KKW standard.

ITF sparring gear.. very common outside of WTF, Muay Thai, or MMA, most martial arts uses similar sparring gear.. it's cheap and widely available, and generally safe, so that (to me) makes a lot of sense why the owners would use it. Save the WTF gear for the sanctioned tournaments.

I think Helium is right, that it is likely one or more of the GM may have belonged to a school or even a Kwan dating back before the ITF/WTFsplit, or was a crossover. 1986, General Choi was still alive, and the ITF was still a serious contender to the WTF/KKW - they were roughly of equal size in those days.

I bet there is an interesting story there if you can get it!