Shin Splints

Options
So, last year this time I was Running alot and running well, my times were going down, I was feeling great. Then got a new job, that literally took all my time.

Fast forward to recently. I signed up for my second half marathon, that I actually want to train for so I can beat my time before. But oye the shin splints!

What are your reccomendations, Monday I could only do 2 miles and ran a half of that in tears it hurt so bad. HELP!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    When did you last get new shoes?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get fitted for the proper type of running shoes for your gait. Go to a designated running store for this.

Wear your running shoes for running only and nothing else. Replace them when you start to feel the wear (usually 350-500 miles).

Make sure to start off slowly and ramp your mileage up even more slowly. It will take a bit of time for your body to re-adjust to running again.

Good luck!!!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Doing too much too soon? Maybe trying to pick up where you left off?
  • victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Stop completely for a little while. Give yourself a chance to heal or you will seriously injur yourself. Bike and swim for a couple weeks but let your body recover.