food & nutrition

Options
Soy_K
Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
I imagine most of us are trying to lose weight or are in maintenance (maybe someone out there is trying to gain?) Do you count macros? Do you practice a special diet (paleo, vegan, etc) If so, when you made the dietary changes do you feel they also affected your athletic performance?

Replies

• Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I've done 21 day fix off and on over the years. I still mostly follow it for the servings of fruits/veggies/etc, but I'm actually counting calories.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I count calories .. haven't much changed what I eat, so much as the portions and frequency of certain foods. I believe in moderation being the key, and serve myself half as much food as I think I need, and then return for more if needed. Being that we eat fairly balanced food around the house most of the time, it works well, and is very sustainable.

Examples:
    I still drink non-diet soda, but rarely.
    Donuts still fear me, but now it's just 1 instead of 4 or 5.
    I still put sugar in my coffee but I limit it to 1 teaspoon, and I drink 1 cup per day.
    I will eat a burger for dinner... but I fill up with a salad first to avoid gorging myself on 2 or 3 of them.
    I still drink beer, but I choose to only drink it when I'm having BBQ, and limit myself to 1.

One thing that has changed, is that instead of quantity, now I really want quality.

• Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I also count calories.
  • Soy_K
    Options
    I'd been vegetarian for over 20 years but when I started exercising more, I became very fatigued. I think it also had to do with some hormonal stuff, but now I eat a little bit of meat and for me the difference in energy level is huge. I also have cut down on thyroid unfriendly foods that seemed healthy (raw cruciferous vegetables, tofu, soy products) and very little processed food anymore. I'm really loose about counting calories and I've tried counting macros, but I can never seem to get enough protein without using protein powders. I don't love the taste and for me - food is like half my enjoyment out of life so sometimes I just can't with the protein drinks!
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time hitting high protein levels too. I am not a fan of fish. And forget about the shakes. The taste and too much work, IMO. I know those are the fastest ways to get lots of protein. I eat lots of chicken and ground turkey, eggs on the weekends. I struggle to go over the 81 grams MFP recommends, let alone go over levels I really want to take in. I don't know about it helping with my energy but as I understand it, it helps the muscle's healing process. Since I workout a lot I figure my muscles could use that help.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I try to hit 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Not always easy to do, and almost impossible without supplementing whey protein daily. I think it works. I have a lot of muscle mass.

Definitely trying to lose though. Always. I try not to go overboard with hi GI carbs and sugars and try to keep my fat intake up. It works for me. Pretty well. My dieting is great, my exercise is great. It's only my behavior that holds me back from my true potential. It's a two to one relationship. One day of eating poorly and misbehaving generally translates to two days of strict behavior to undo it.

I'm coming back from a one month bender. So I'm pretty upset at myself lol.
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight at the moment, my chosen diet is ketogenic, I love meat so it is easy to stick to when I really want to. I have been half-hearted with it for the last year or so and you can't really do keto in a half hearted way so I am 30lbs up on where I feel most comfortable. I am trying to be more serious about it and the weight is coming off slowly.
  • Soy_K
    Options
    this thread has inspired me to try to do more of the protein shakes again. trying it out this morning. freezing the bananas this week :p
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    CICO is all I do, I try to stay low carb for my Diabetes but just calories in and calories out. Any other way and I feel like I'm depriving myself
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Soy_K wrote: »
    this thread has inspired me to try to do more of the protein shakes again. trying it out this morning. freezing the bananas this week :p

So important if you exercise hard. Plus if you over do it you can out take any opponent with just a fart.
  • Soy_K
    Options

So important if you exercise hard. Plus if you over do it you can out take any opponent with just a fart.

ninja tactics
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to keep my carbs down. I was diagnosed as insulin resistant a few years ago and put on a low carb, low fat, low calorie diet. I nearly died (not literally, just me being dramatic) although I lost weight fast. I just couldn't keep eating like that, it was making me miserable. Now I lose weight slower but I am happier with what I eat.

I have also found that partial intermittent fasting helps me - I can't make it without milk in my coffee, so it is not true fasting, but the first time food passes my lips is late lunch/early supper
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options

How are the protein shakes working for you, @Soy_K ?

I'm working on tracking my Macros, and ramping up my protein significantly over the next few weeks.. so any insight is welcome!
  • Soy_K
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »

How are the protein shakes working for you, @Soy_K ?

I'm working on tracking my Macros, and ramping up my protein significantly over the next few weeks.. so any insight is welcome!

omg i hate the taste of them. i try to drink them a couple times a week though, but not every day for me. i'm such a picky eater!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    I am definitely an omnivore - I can eat almost anything and still enjoy it, so that's not a problem... I'm just trying to avoid them out of principle. I have been known to buy a premade shake from time to time when I know there won't be much protein on the menu at dinner time, but now that I'm try to track macros and meet a protein goal.. not sure how I can avoid them.