October 26 Sign In

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• RangerRickL
    Options
    The frequent theme of the last few days is how to make the transition from our summer outdoor activities that we love to our disciplined winter exercise regimen. Here is a link on that subject https://www.authenticpt.com.au/single-post/2017/04/06/Making-the-transition-from-summer-to-winter-exercise
    I focus on my farm actitivities and horseback riding in the summer and I let my cardio/strength exercises slide. Now I have revisited my plans for the winter. I began by rereading some of my exercise books and then creating specific written exercise regimens for each day of the week. I'll revisit those protocols each month to substitute and change exercises and increase the cardio as my fitness grows.
    What are you planning for the winter?
    Rick
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Lol Rick your so funny!!! It's so cold this morning . All I keep thinking is ughh and I have swimming tonight. It is so much easier to do when it is warm.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    October 26
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 5 Km in 38 mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes.
    Tracked?: Yes.

Pre-lunch walk today. Moderate pace.

After a bit of reflection (and a low weigh-in this morning), I decided to up my calorie intake again to reflect the exercise calories I often do not burn. Last change to calories was over a month ago and I have lost a further 5 lbs (2 kg) since then (and am already on the lowest threshold I should be).

My intake today still fits within the calorie budget I had this morning (despite having pavlova and a double serve of ice cream :) )

@am_change. Thank you. One thing I am is consistent. Good habits. :)

@LoraineGB. This UAC challenge is deceptively hard. It take a bit of time to form the right habits to make it work.

@RangerRickL. Love the dancing bear. Awesome.
  • Dosse1320
    Dosse1320 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Love the bear dance @RangerRickL

In winter, I basically do the same kinds of activities except I go indoors. Walking is my main activity. When it gets too cold, snowy or icy I go to a nearby mall and walk. This particular mall has free underground parking which is a real plus. Also, because it is close by, it is convenient which is a big factor in making/keeping healthy habits.
    I play pickle ball at the Field House (an indoor sports facility) and I do yoga downstairs in my home with a friend (DVD called Yoga Zone for beginners). I continue to go to the gym for strength training twice a week. It too is convenient so going to the gym is easy.
  • oykucan
    oykucan Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Exercise: Yes. (40 min. walking)
    Calories: Yes.
    Tracked: Yes.
  • windowqueen2003
    windowqueen2003 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    October 25 and 26
    Exercise yes
    Calories yes
    Tracked yes

Rick, I think the dancing bear is on to something. It's great exercise and you can do it wherever you are. You just have to be careful who sees you.
  • fightingthetideofaging
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yep..Had a 45 minute trail run with running group, our coach , and Cody, the coach's dog.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • 120maggie
    120maggie Posts: 4,980 Member
    Options
    Oh @RangerRickL that bear is too cool!!
    What I really noticed already -- and hate---are so many less steps on my fitbit. Usually Summer mornings right before I get in the car for work I would water the flower pots. After dinner I was always puttering around outside if I wasn't cycling or doing serious gardening. Dark, short days are ugly!
    I plan to keep getting up in the mornings and working out, but no morning walks. Definitely more strength training. I enjoy both downhill and cross country skiing but that is so weather variable. Especially living in Ohio.
    Tracked and calories are fine.
  • astroamy
    astroamy Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Oct 25:
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Went for a morning walk
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes.
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes.

Oct 26:
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? 30 minutes run this morning plus 9000 steps
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes, well under.
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes.
  • tinacuso
    tinacuso Posts: 4,257 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, nice walk outside (while the weather is still great!)
    Its snowing in Vt today!

@RangerRickL - Love the dancing bear
    @windowqueen2003 - I think you are right....great exercise-just have to be careful who sees you. Looks like fun.
  • Gus130
    Gus130 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Yes,yes,yes. Light housework.
  • cardio_enthusiast
    cardio_enthusiast Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    26-August-2017

Exercise: yes, 60 minutes of running.

Calories: yes, I'm under.

Tracking: yes, everything.

@RangerRickL, I love, love, love that panda! Not quite sure what I'll be doing for workouts, this winter. I know that it's cold in the mornings and when I cycled this week, I was SOOO COLD. I'd like to run as long as I can. Probably I'll keep doing the circuit training but move things to the garage. Then I'll just wait to thaw out in the spring :D
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    I've had a fulfilling and yet very tiring week. I'm off tomorrow but I'll travel to 4 hours to the hospital where my Mom will have an attempted angioplasty in her left femoral artery.
    My report:
    Calories: just fine, under by over 350
    Exercise: 30 minutes of walking
    Tracking: ok
  • fourathomej
    fourathomej Posts: 4,260 Member
    Options
    Oct 25
    Exercise: yes - BodyCombat - 70 minutes
    Calories: yes
    Tracking: yes

Oct 26
    Exercise: yes - BodyPump and BodyFlow - 135 minutes
    Calories: yes
    Tracking: yes

The next 2 days are going to be interesting...to say the least. We are going to the Spooktacular event at Fort Edmonton Park but out to dinner first. Then Saturday id my daughters birthday and yeah you guessed it...out to dinner. I don't eat out...it's been quite a while and now 2 days in a row....YIKES!!!

But I'm going to enjoy this week end as next week I fall into the Christmas Crazy months. Work is going to be insane and I will be stressed to the max...as usual. I normally love my job but not at Christmas....
  • kaye4health
    kaye4health Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Y (90min gym workout)
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Y (1200-1500, right on lowest end of 1200)
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Y (11-8oz glasses of water)
  • ashsmile78
    ashsmile78 Posts: 3,528 Member
    Options
    I love the dancing hear @RangerRickL
    I will be coming up with a routine for winter soon but I know it will contain using the treadmill once we start staying with my in laws until are how is built. I have a recumbent bike but we had to put it in storage. And I’ll. E doing some HIIT and other workouts on YouTube. I need to get back into yoga too.

Exercise: cleaning for a couple of hours. Our realtor showed our home to two potential buyers on Wednesday and one yesterday. Our house has been on the market a week now.
    Tracking yes
    Under calories yes (I squeaked by)
  • pears734
    pears734 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Exercise? Yes; 45 minute walk
    Calories? Yes
    Tracking? Yes
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? yes, more hiking in the Shenandoahs
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? probably not!
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? no

Great idea to think about seasonal changes in exercise routines, and so forth. Since most of my exercise is walking or jogging with dogs in my work, there won't be too many changes. But-- I've decided to get out more on the weekends for actual on-the-trail hiking. And I'll start eating oatmeal instead of Cheerios.
  • LoraineGB
    LoraineGB Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes.

@RangerRickL I’ve been known to pull off some moves like the bear but usually after a couple of beers :D

For me, the weather has been lovely so my activity outside had vastly increased. We have 8 beautiful months, 1 mediocre and 3 unbearable months in Nevada. We’re good now until June next year, whoop whoop!