Crazy hormones simulating pregnancy?

Options
I got diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago. When I decided I was leaving my husband and didn't want to get pregnant I went off my metphormin which was making me sick anyways. I haven't really had any treatment since.
I've been divorced for 1 year and off all medications for 2. I have kept the regular periods since getting off the medication although I do bleed extra heavy some months. The rest of my symptoms are mild and don't bother me or my boyfriend.
Back in august I started feeling really tired and sick all the time. I even had lactation which cued me to take a pregnancy test which showed positive. So I went to a free clinic in the area to confirm because I had been told it was very unlikely for me to conceive without treatments. It came back positive as well. Next I set up the ultra sound with some random dr a friend suggested since I've moved and haven't found one in the 2 years I've lived here. Sept 12 I tested negative at my visit and the ultra sound didn't show anything(although when I did ovulate it was generally towards the end of my cycle so it could have been to early) I haven't bleed. I haven't had the massive cramping. I am still having crazy food cravings/ adversions. My energy levels are still low and oh yeah did I mention I'm still lactating and it's uncomfortable to lay on my tummy and I can't button mY pants even though I've lost weight...
when I asked the dr about why my body would do those things if I wasn't pregnant heShrugged and said hormones just do that sometimes. I am not satisfied with this answer to say the least.
I'm still having symptoms and so I'm looking for a different dr. I still haven't had a period since mid July and I honestly don't know if I should plan on starting this week or not. I don't feel a period coming on (the cramps more than let me know ahead of time most of the time)
Has anyone had any experiences like this??? Is this a PCOS thing or is this my body just being crazy?
I remember back when I used to have irradic cycles when I would go too long without one they would wipe me out so I very much need to plan for that or start figuring out where I'm putting a baby in an already full house. Is there another option that I haven't found?
Help

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @madambutterfly91

I don't have specific experience with this same thing exactly, but I did have a faux pregnancy (morning sickness, tender breasts, food cravings/aversions, clothing fit issues, etc.) about once a month every month for a year or so while supplementing progesterone.

Additionally, I did have what they now commonly call a chemical miscarriage, which means that the cell combination starts and releases hormones, but doesn't ever form an embryo, etc. However, the oddity about this is that I did conceive and carry to term 9 days following the miscarriage from this, which doesn't make logical sense.

I had a now former SIL who conceived similarly to above (with PCOS) and ended up with an ectopic pregnancy that destroyed one of her fallopian tubes...

I really don't know what to say, other than wait a few weeks and do another round of tests perhaps? If it was crazy early, you might not have shown on the ultrasound (assuming it was transvaginal, not on the belly...because if not, that was medical error...my understanding is that transvaginal sonography is supposed to be used up until 12 weeks, minimum), and that there might be more evidence in 4-6 more weeks.

I'm hoping others will chime in for you, because I don't have experience with this personally...

@Dragonwolf @Alliwan @stacicali
  • madambutterfly91
    madambutterfly91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss
    Thank you for the input. I am not a total stranger to chemical miscarriages. I am used to starting a cycle back up again after that and I still haven't. I did get a recomendation for a dr today though so I'm hoping I can get an apointment soon to figure it out.

How does the progesterone treatments work? I have seen a few ppl mention them on here before but I don't really know what it entails. Is it strictly during the cycle to conceive or do you continue it while pregnant?
  • madambutterfly91
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss
    When you misscarried with the chemical pregnancy (if it's not to sensitive to talk about) what was it like. Cause I've still not bleed or passed anything like I did with my other miscarriages. I assume I would at least bleed like a period of nothing else right???
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss
    When you misscarried with the chemical pregnancy (if it's not to sensitive to talk about) what was it like. Cause I've still not bleed or passed anything like I did with my other miscarriages. I assume I would at least bleed like a period of nothing else right???

***** TRIGGER WARNING *****

@madambutterfly91
    I have been blessed that it was 17 years ago, and so not fresh - and that I had a successful pregnancy after, so I have a happy side to it all, too. I do not mind talking about it.

I confirm with a test on a Thursday, was excited to start sharing the news Friday... My then husband's best friend and his wife came over that night to tell us that they were also expecting. Saturday was mostly normal, until evening, and by then, I was starting to feel "off," from what I remember. Sunday was cramping and eventually a period with clots and moderate bleeding - but I don't remember it lasting all that long. I don't think I was even still spotting when I went in Monday for my already scheduled appointment with my OB/GYN (to confirm the pregnancy), so I went, and they confirmed that if there had been anything, there was no longer evidence of it. I had been about 5 weeks, so barely far enough along to have "felt" pregnant, but I had "known" from the chemical conception reaction, because I felt everything for weeks before I missed my cycle, and it took several days of tests for a positive reaction...

They said at absolutely had to be a chemical situation or a "dry run" as he called it then. I ended up conceiving about 9 days later - and didn't even suspect for about 6 weeks that I was pregnant again, because my "morning sickness" was getting worse, not better. The ladies in my office figured it out before I did. I finally took a test (around 8 weeks) and confirmed the next week at my doc as 8 wks 3 days.

They told me at the time, they had absolutely no idea how that had happened, because a chemical pregnancy should have stopped my ovulation and I should have had a "dump cycle" before I started ovulating again. I did NOT have a cycle between the miscarriage and the conception.

However, if your chemical pregnancy did not result in full ovulation/uterine lining thickening, and all of that, you may not have need for a full bleed cycle. With it being a chemical pregnancy, the cells could have joined, and not been viable, and the HCG level still went up, but the cells could have passed right away without the uterine lining building and such.

Since you've had a recent history of regular cycles, you're probably going to need to make sure that you get another ultrasound if you come up negative on tests still in another 2-4 weeks, because if you need to pass everything, you may have to have a DNC to remove the lining (or BCP to force the cycle). Our female hormones are so wacky that there is literally no telling what happened to cause this (for example, when my DD started her hormone cycles, her levels were strong enough that she reset my cycle back to normal - i.e., away from my 6-8 week with cysts bursting at ovulation cycle - within a few months).

It could have been anything, literally. As I said, I would follow up with more OTC tests (The Dollar Tree and other places have them for $1 or really cheaply - and they're fairly reliable), as you go on, but stressing about this alone can postpone your cycle longer.

Hopefully the new doctor can run more tests, because it is odd for you not to have started a cycle yet...chemical pregnancy or "false positive" pregnancy tests aside.

As for the progesterone, it really depends on why you are using it, etc. Miscarriage risk is high if your progesterone levels don't increase appropriately, so many ladies here have used it for conception, for maintaining a pregnancy, or both. I had secondary infertility (had a huge number of complicating factors discovered AFTERWARDS), which was when I used the progesterone (a compounded cream I rubbed into my thigh daily, rotating left one day, right the next, etc.). It did not ever work for me, because I had extremely depleted adrenals after having my daughter (long story) and my body kept stealing and progesterone I added (it's the least necessary hormone, so the most readily stolen and converted) for cortisol and adrenaline in my body. After a while, it was causing more mental problems (we were actively trying to conceive, and feeling pregnant every month was making me quite mental - because I wasn't), so I stopped it (maybe 18 months or so?). I got progressively heavier until I started with the cysts rupturing during ovulation, and eventually my cycles resetting. I'm glad to answer any other questions you have if I can...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    TL;DR - It's really hard to say what you would have with a chemical pregnancy/miscarriage. I think it really depends on what your hormones did - as that's what causes a miscarriage.
  • madambutterfly91
    Options
    Ok so I’ve had another apt. They think I had a misscarrige. They tested my hormones and they said they seem to be trying to reregulate. He is putting me back on a time release version of metphormin to help my body reregulate and prepare to try to get pregnant on purpose at some point In the next year. He still wants me to try to loose a little more weight first because I have other health concerns that will make it hard to carry as is. They really want me to get my blood pressure concistantly down. Other than that he seemed pleased with how well I’ve been doing. (I ended up going back to my dr I used to see before I moved. He hasn’t seen me in two years)
    The lactating is easing up but I have an infant living with me so they still ache really bad when he gets worked up. The dr said as long as I’m not stimulating them it should go away soon anyway.

I just have to say. Body’s are really weird!
  • madambutterfly91
    Options
    Oh and this week I had a really really light “cycle”. The dr said it’s libel to be weird the next couple cycles cause what my hormones are doing but that it is looking like I’m moving in the right direction now.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Sending the best of thoughts, @madambutterfly91 - all the way around.
  • madambutterfly91
    Options
    Any idea how long it might take me to stop lactating? It’s super awk since I live with a new born... kind of a reminder of stuff I rather not think about right now.
    My dr said be patient and don’t stimulate them and it should just go away. I didn’t even think to ask about a time frame while I was there.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    The only time I ever lactated was when I was nursing my daughter. By the time I was drying up, she was almost 18 months old. I can tell you that in being around a newborn, it will take a lot longer, unless they give you medication for it. I have a friend I no longer live near that she worked in daycare. Her youngest child was 10 or so, and she still would lactate or feel "let down" "drop down" whatever you want to call it, when babies around her cried in distress. But she was perpetually exposed, etc. It is a hormonal reaction, so even though that baby isn't yours, etc., the response is still triggered because your body is in a heightened state. I would probably look on the La Leche League's site - they can likely tell you how to do it naturally or with supplements, etc.

(HUGS)
  • Twinkleeeeeeeee80
    Twinkleeeeeeeee80 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I really appreciate this thread and I'm really glad you found a good doctor. I just had a miscarriage and I have PCOS. It sounded to me like you had an early misscariage like me. I have the type of PCOS that causes me to bleed and not stop as opposed to the type that makes you not bleed. My body tried to regulate and start a few weeks after misscariage and I bled so badly had to go to hospital. Sounds like your body is trying to reset but going the other way not bleeding. Definitely stay in touch with your doctor and make sure your cycle gets back to normal. Not sure if you want to get pregnant again. If you do, I'd suggest going to a fertility expert and endocrinologist. It took me months to figure everything out and if I had just head to fertility doctor he probably would have handled business faster. They are now planning to put me on clomid and watch to ensure I ovulate then the pregnancy is successful. They'll be treating with progesterone once it attaches to the uterine lining. If you don't want to get pregnant, BC and/or monthly progesterone can just make sure to regulate your period. I currently have to take Ortho cyclen and 20mg progesterone last week of cycle just to get close to period. I'm interested to hear how you proceed in next few weeks. Keep us updated! And hope you start feeling better too.
  • Twinkleeeeeeeee80
    Options
    Oh also I'm on 1500 mg of metformin also now and working on new low carb lifestyle and losing weight. I've lost about 15 lbs since pregnant and I am feeling better. Also 20 mins excersize everyday (recumbant bike) Got pregnant first time on 500 mg metformin. My doctor's now say that is a weird dose and typically they recommend 2000m or as much as you can tolerate.
  • Twinkleeeeeeeee80
    Options
    It's all so complicated! The good news is that this is the best place I've find to discuss these issues. The pregnancy and TTC websites are pretty awful IMO. You might avoid those as a side note.