ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Cycling: 37.12 miles
    Time: 2:25:02
    Pace Avg: 15.4 mph
    Avg HR: 128 bpm
    Est Calories: 1859
    Elev Gain: 210 Ft

Course: Flats farmland LSD (Long Slow Distance)
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    43.6mi
    Distance
    3:09:09
    Moving Time
    912ft
    Elevation
    92W
    Estimated Avg Power
    1,045kJ
    Energy Output
    Show Less

Avg
    Max
    Speed
    13.8mi/h
    28.6mi/h
    Calories
    Elapsed Time
    3:18:59
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    44.6mi
    Distance
    3:54:28
    Moving Time
    1,098ft
    Elevation
    70W
    Estimated Avg Power
    983kJ
    Energy Output
    Show Less

Avg
    Max
    Speed
    11.4mi/h
    27.1mi/h
    Calories
    Elapsed Time
    4:05:30
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    25.8mi
    Distance
    2:04:22
    Moving Time
    1,438ft
    Elevation
    119W
    Estimated Avg Power
    887kJ
    Energy Output
    Show Less

Avg
    Max
    Speed
    12.5mi/h
    31.3mi/h
    Calories
    Elapsed Time
    2:29:17
    Garmin Forerunner 10
    Bike: BLUE
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    ok here's mine... well - actually it's YESTERDAY's ride, but by the end of it I just wanted to chill for a while and spend the rest of the day eating/drinking and avoiding getting cramp in my left leg...

Went out yesterday to ride a "route" that the local authority have setup called the "Wakefield Wheel"...

It's a loop around the city of Wakefield, which is around 60km in length, approximately 35km of which is either off-road on gravel/dirt tracks or on tarmac'ed trails that cars aren't allowed on - it's definitely a little tough to ride on a traditional roadbike, but a 'cross bike, gravel bike or even a hybrid with tougher tyres is fine - certainly no NEED for suspension or full on MTB - though there's at least TWO descents where having something with meatier tyres than the 35mm file-tread 'cross tyres I was running would have meant the speed would have been much higher.

I actually decided to do the ride slightly differently to it's planned routing - the recommendation is to start either from Pugneys Watersports Centre or the Visitors Centre at Haw Park Lane, primarily because they both have car parking facilities for people driving to the ride. However, as the route actually passes within 50 yards of my door, I pretty much just started the loop from home completed the route and rode the 50m back home - or, at least that was the plan. I'll get to that in a while...

Loaded the map (or the best I could find - can't believe there was no .TCX file available, so I pretty much had to plot my own - and some of the routing wasn't even on the map, route maps available went via the nearest road in some cases - I think that one or two bits of the route were designated as footpaths originally, and have needed legislation changes to allow "shared use", so as this has kicked in, the original maps have changed, however the published routes haven't. I wasn't worried, as the route is marked with a series of route-arrows, similar to this...

4m1jab5w9ra7.jpg

By and large, I managed to find my way, only got slightly lost a couple of times.

Here's the Strava route - it's in two bits

first, the initial 5km, where I'd forgotten to start the "route navigation" on the garmin...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1118016957

and second, more important bit, where I was following the mapping right up to the last few km's...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1118349775

All in all, i was a great route - there's a few stretches of road-bashing, one or two of which are pretty much unavoidable, but, if you were to ride the route on a Sunday Morning, the roads would be completely quiet (one bit goes through the centre of a small town (Horbury) and I know for a fact that it's pretty much empty most Sundays...)

Oh yes, that comment earlier about not following the last 5km or so of the route. Well, after bashing around all the uneven surfaces for 50km or more without a single problem, I started the last main climb of the route, and while "sprinting" across a section of Tarmac to get to the next offroad bit (the final climb) I manage to ping a spoke in the back wheel. I'd dived down dirt-paths with hub deep water-wash ruts in them at 50+kph, bounced over kerbs and and bunny hopped water-bars on descents and NOTHING, then just cranking it up to get across a 100m long stretch of flat tarmac, and one of the damned spokes goes. Wheel was straight enough not to rub, but I decided that it was probably sensible to take a less rocky route home than the one in the map - and, it being so near to home, I knew the "path of least resistance" like the back of my hand.

All in all though, a good morning/early afternoon out.

59.6km, 3h40m, 514m of ascent (max gradient in excess of 34% for a short spell - lots of short sharp inclines, no real "mountains"), 1637kCals per strava, or more meaningfully, 1468kJ measured "at the cranks"...

Quick Relive Video of the Route

https://www.relive.cc/view/1118349775

and, just for fun, air speed analysis from MyWindsock...

https://mywindsock.com/activity/1118349775

(was pretty much the perfect route for yesterdays wind conditions, headwind out, tail back when I was fading a bit...)

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Headed out on my usual Tuesday afternoon ride with the girls yesterday. About 5 miles in, we encountered fresh chip and seal, so went a different route, known for hills. One of the girls said, "It's not that bad." It was bad, over 1300 feet of elevation gain in the 17.3 mile ride. But I did it.
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    My first Metric Century
    60.9mi
    Distance
    4:50:53
    Moving Time
    1,639ft
    Elevation
    82W
    Estimated Avg Power
    1,432kJ
    Energy Output
    Show Less

Avg
    Max
    Speed
    12.6mi/h
    34.2mi/h
    Calories
    Elapsed Time
    5:24:49
    Garmin Forerunner 15
    Bike: BLACK
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Went exploring a new area (Hampshire and West Sussex) and it was a real contrast. Where I usually ride is generally rolling countryside mixed with short but sharp climbs. This ride was just a constant change of elevation that stopped me getting any rhythm. Scenery was beautiful though. Also seemed to be a GPS blackspot - when you end up trying all three exits from a roundabout and they all come up as "off course" it's a bit challenging to navigate.

c574ugkblpf3.png

Featured a hill unlike anything I've done before, not particularly steep but seemed to go on forever - 2 miles of constant climbing. Yuk!
    https://www.strava.com/segments/1571710

pjiudqe0mtcs.png

• Bruceapple
    Options
    6:45 AM on Saturday, August 19, 2017
    RIDE SCT MARTIN to PIEDMONT & back
    45 miles total as GPS would not crank

35.0mi
    Distance
    2:15:33
    Moving Time
    419ft
    Elevation
    96W
    Estimated Avg Power
    781kJ
    Energy Output
    Show Less
    Avg
    Max
    Speed
    15.5mi/h
    23.7mi/h
    Calories
    Elapsed Time
    2:45:19
    Garmin Forerunner 15
    Bike: BLACK
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Tour deCure 2017
    https://www.relive.cc/view/1141703212

64.85 mi Distance
    4:59:09 Time
    13.0 Speed (mph)
    1,775 Calories
    2,618 ft Elev Gain
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    10.8mi
    Distance
    1:03:52
    Moving Time
    772ft
    Elevation
    109W
    Estimated Avg Power
    419kJ
    Energy Output
    Show Less

Avg
    Max
    Speed
    10.2mi/h
    32.9mi/h
    Calories
    Elapsed Time
    1:07:12
    Garmin Forerunner 15
    Bike: BLUE
    COLD & WINDY
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    max gradient in excess of 34% for a short spell

34%?! That's not a "gradient", that's a wall
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    First Century Ride. Completed 2 weeks before my 57th birthday, too. Boom!

101.8mI
    2242 elevation
    13.3mph
    7hr 40min