Insulin resistant

Options
20percy14
20percy14 Posts: 24 Member
Hi all,

I havent been on for ages, I have been managing to lose weight on my own. However weightloss has stalled and I havent been able to shift so much as 100g for about 6 weeks now. I am diagnosed with I.R. and PCOS.

Do you follow any particular diets? I was looking at Paleo and sugar free ones... However I am a massive sweet tooth.

Any helpful hints or advice?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Going lower carb (paleo or any other type) will help stifle that sweet tooth. The key is to be determined at first and push through. Once you get past the initial spike in cravings, it is easier to manage. You don't want to go "sugar-free" if that means just finding sugar-free items to feed your existing addictions, because that won't solve the underlying issues.

With insulin resistance, some types are heavy enough and require medication. Others can be treated by dramatically reducing the number of insulin responses you have anything, so lowering carb helps, but so does looking at glycemic index. And just know, insulin responses begin for most with the taste buds, so tasting anything sweet, even with fake sugar may trigger that response in you. I find it best to avoid those things.

The stickied post at the top of this group (http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group) called "LaunchPad" has a lot of links and information on all manner of lower carb diets, so that you can determine what is best for you personally. The group is currently private, so you will have to request membership and wait for approval (doesn't usually take long). Best of luck!
  • HeidiSmith419
    HeidiSmith419 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Gluten free/dairy free/ soy free. And pretty much just whole foods. Has helped tremendously. I've followed a blogger and website owner for years that's helped me lose over 170lbs. PCOS Diet Support
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I am not low carb by the definition of so many here, but I am much lower carb than I used to be. Because I eat vegetarian (so many of my protein sources are starchy), I do not eat any grains right now.

A couple weeks ago, I was taking an antibiotic and ate a LOT more sugar than I normally would in order to get some pro-biotic yogurt/kefir into my system. I was STARVING ALL THE TIME! When I went back to eating my regular diet, I felt less crazy-hungry. I'm certain I'm on the right path for my body and can't believe I used to feel that way all the time!
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Low carb and Intermittent Fasting (fast 16 hours, eat 8 hours)...that's what I am doing right now. Keep your good fats up too :)
  • gspieker1973
    gspieker1973 Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I agree with globegirl08. that's how I am losing weight. I lost a total of 15 pounds since I started this low carb & intermittent fasting at the first of this month. If I do a light splurge, I will do a fast after breakfast that next day until supper and eat low carb/ small meal.

I also use unsweetened almond milk with my coffee & breakfast.
  • gspieker1973
    gspieker1973 Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    :smile:
  • Kristinam921
    Kristinam921 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I follow a diet that is moderate carb , and spreads them throughout the day. It seems to work and helps keep from having those insulin spikes and the tired spells you can get from it. My doc recommended doing a diet this way. He said carbs are the bodies fuel, but the problem is when you put to much fuel it spills out! So to me it made since to load up in the morning then just add a little throughout the day to stop spikes or falls. That's the biggest issue with weight-loss it's really maintaining your sugar levels and creating a deficit!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I also have found a moderate carb diet and upping healthy fats and protein helps a lot. I don't think necessarily you need to go extreme. Also, lots of exercise!!
  • Twinkleeeeeeeee80
    Twinkleeeeeeeee80 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I follow a limited carb diet and check my blood sugar. 30-45g carbs each meal and 15 g carbs for snack and it has worked wonders! Trying to avoid too many fake sugar items, but have been making a few for desserts and it really helps getting through any cravings. Also dark chocolate, whipped butter, and olive oil help.